Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration How rare is a 1960 Chevy bel air , 2dr hardtop with a factory 4 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lgh1157, Mar 13, 2013.

1. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I'm not a Chevy guy, but my experience is the hole in the floor may or may not be nicely formed - my '61 Bonneville is a factory four speed car and the hole in its floor looked like it was hacked open with an ax. :)

As mentioned earlier, if this car came from the factory with a four speed it would have had a Borg-Warner T10. However, those early T10s weren't the strongest things and it's entirely possible the original had to be replaced at some point with a Muncie.

The T10 would have had a skinny little Inland shifter on it, with a shifter 'porch' on the floor that the original shift boot fastened to. I'd look at the floor pan for evidence of a porch, either screw holes or a mark around the edge where it was bolted down.

They looked like this, more or less:

Attached Files:

2. lgh1157

lgh1157

Cam Spec sheet, this is what is in there :

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. docmike

docmike

When I was a kid my Dad had a '60 Biscayne 4 door. I thought it was the ugliest car on the road. Now, I'd love to find a nice '60 2 door like you've got there or a nice '60 Impala Sport Coupe 4 door. Oh well, maybe someday.

<O:p</O:p
    I'm jealous.

<O:p</O:p
    Doc <O:p</O:p

4. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

I remember back in da day seeing bel air hardtops w/348 4spd.
    The bel air was a little cheaper than the impala on the base price.
    The one i recall was a lime green with a 348/335hp mated with a 4spd.
    Then thier were the Biscaynes 2 dr. sedans even cheaper with 348's and i remember seeing radio delete cars....JT

5. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

[​IMG] Back in the 60's I drove this 60 Biscayne 348/335 four speed.

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

7. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

RW that pretty badass. great shot. thanks for sharing.

8. indigenous

indigenous

i have a 60 belair with a 283 3 speed and factory overdrive no radio car single speed wipers and heater only drives like a dream i think my wife is gonna take it from me she loves it oh well i will just be stuck in the 52 delivery

9. deuce354

deuce354

My buddy when i was a kid. had a 60 Biscayne 2 door post, all factory equipped. 348, trips. 4 speed . blackwalls, nut covers. This was the way the car was ordered . This was in 1965 , he had the window sticker for it. I think back then you could order just about anything you wanted. In 69 his mother ordered a new Chevelle wagon. the same way. 350 , 4 speed cheap model, nut covers etc. The salesman thought she was crazy. it was a real sleeper

10. First off that is one fine 60! Factory four or not that is a great find!! Everything on that car , 8-track, tach, Hurst flattie, even the barefoot gaspedal is period correct to the late sixties ..... love it!!

On the issue of if it is a factory 348 or not ... anyone can add the crossed flags on the hood so dont go by that and the vin will just tell you if it was a six or or an eight (not if it was a wedge or sbc) but if you crawl under and check out the fuel lin e from tank to engine, if 348 then it is 3/8ths line and 283 and 235 were both 5/16ths. Also the fuel line for the 348 was installed away from the exhaust (weaving on both sides of the X-frame) whereas the 5/16th run sometimes came close to the exhaust .

.... again, nice find!

11. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

If my memory is correct, the factory Posi-Tractions had a stamped ring around the fill plug on the differential warning to use only the special gear oil. While the pumpkin may have been changed take a look and see if that tag is there.

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

I've never seen this key deal before on a tach. Is it to engage/disengage the gear drive or what? One of you old(er)timers help out a whippersnapper.

[​IMG]

13. lgh1157

lgh1157

14. lgh1157

lgh1157

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Schrader valve for air shocks :D :

[​IMG]

I cannot believe how clean this car is, the trunk is amazing :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  15. slowmotion

slowmotion

Even came with a vintage 'Hi-Jackers' sticker in the trunk!

This score gets better with every new pic, lucky dog!

16. I have a "60 Biscayne that originally was a 6 cyl . I came with the Chevrolet crest emblem front & rear.The crossed flags are indeed for a 348.

17. Wow..it gets better with every pic you post.
    You may be a Ford guy but surely this baby will worm it's way into your affections.

18. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

[​IMG]

A 60 Chevy, matching # 348/335 in a 60 Chevy.

19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Cleaning up nicely.Great find.
    Wish I had a Ford to trade for it;)

20. lgh1157

lgh1157

I think this one is gonna go to the classifieds , as much as it saddens me, . . . . I just can't keep it, this chevy has really grown on me and its been an amazing discovery and history lesson . . . but too many projects right now.

Just want it to go to someone that will make it rise again and burn some rubber.

[​IMG]

21. brendanhay

brendanhay

22. Black Primer

Black Primer

This has to be one of the coolest finds posted on the HAMB in a long time! Certainly a step back in history.

23. robber

robber

Like many of the others, I don't know if your car is a factory 4 speed or not. That being said, to find a '60 2 dr ht is a rare find today! Very cool car! Wish I had it! ;) Keep us posted on what your progress is and with what you find out ...robber

24. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

25. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Looks like a good way to make a sale to me,still a nice rust free car

26. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

'59 was the first year for factory 4 speed transmissions. It was a a Borg Warner T-10. The car could have very well been a factory four speed car but the shift pattern emblem
    on the dash is not factory but I would leave it on the car it looks neat and something the
    factory could have done easily using the Corvette shifter pattern plate. If I didn't have
    so many projects I'd make you an offer. Neat old car.

27. lgh1157

lgh1157

Thanks guys.
    Sold it on saturday, . . . . it was bittersweet, , . . . . . . But it was not meant to be. It worked out well.

Sold it to a local Teamster so it is staying in GA and i will hopefully see it one day cruising

L

28. I had two 59 Impala Sport Coupes, both 348" 335 HP 4 Speed cars. There was no hump on the floor and no shift pattern on the dash. You could get a 4 speed in any series car, I've even seen one in a wagon. I also had a friend who had a 348" 335 HP car with a 3 speed column shift. The flags on the front indicate a big block 348", either 250, 280, 315, or 335 HP car.

29. otis1965

otis1965
    from ohio

i had a 59 impala 335 three speed on the column later converted to 4 speed

30. To bad i was gonna offer you a trade for a 63 box top 427 lightweight clone.