Register now to get rid of these ads!

new project truck

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by ruff1148kr, Mar 21, 2013.

1. ruff1148kr

ruff1148kr
    from WV

Just picked up a 48 Dodge pilot house truck was just a body on original frame Looking to put a 77 dodge 360 in it with 727 currently has dana 60 rear end and some of the fire wall and toe boars gone but want to update the suspension and brakes first before I tackle motor mounts. any advice on cheap way to do this with not a tone of welding looking at crown vi front end and helix but money is tight. other project was a 69 D100 utiline I built for my girl slant 6 with 727.

Attached Files:

2. EarlKann

EarlKann

Dakota chassis should be a good fit for a Pilot House. They even came with small blocks.

3. ruff1148kr

ruff1148kr
    from WV

Thanks - looking into that to, but since all the cab mounts on this stock frame have be redone and I have the engine and trans and the dana 60 has been adjusted to be the correct track in the rear, I was leaning toward a front end only also space for another frame in the driveway is not much of an option

4. EarlKann

EarlKann

Kinda old school and out of style these days but Volare might work if you're just looking for a front suspension. Pretty easy to install, and again, might even come with small block motor mounts.

5. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

the Dodge Pilot-House club has a good article on the Volare front suspension...there's some good links in there to other websites that might have more information ya might need someday :cool:

6. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Welcome from South Korea!...I would avoid the Volare I "attempted it on my 57 Dodge (our frames are almost Identical), and many on the HAMB here told me to walk away from the Volare clip, they work great with F100's but Dodges not so much. the hour glass shape of the frame around the motor, makes it really hard to mount the gearbox without hacking the frame up and building a new one. After waisting a ton of money and time, I swallowed my pride and gave up on it. there are plenty of Build threads on frame/clip swaps for these on here, and from what I have learned over the years is if you want a clip go with a mustang2, but I would do the Dakota frame swap, its just perfect for these and keeps it Mopar to boot.

7. Welcome from Kansas City!