Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone actually seen a 31 Chevy Sedan Delivery?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Metaltwister, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I posted this same question on the AACA site with no one admitting they have ever really seen one. I know from production records some were actually built but I've never seen an actual pic of one. When searching I have found artist renderings of them but never an actual pic. I have found a couple 32's that were labeled as 31's incorrectly.

So what, or better yet why do I even care? I just picked up a 31 Chevy 4 door body only. Im thinking that it would make a cool little parts chaser if I turned it into a sedan delivery by loosing the rear doors and moving the rear quarters around a little. Lat week Hamb member thetwistedpiston played with the concept on Photoshop and came up with what I'm going to do. My only question is did the original 31 Chevy Sedan Delivery use a 2 door size front door or a 4 door size front door?

A few pics where I think I am going with this. yea or nea? Ideas on anything related?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. I think there was a thread on a 31 or 32 a while back

3. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I've worn out the search button on this... maybe I over looked it some how? :confused:

4. Will see if I can find it- might have been in one of the early chevrolet threads?

5. codeblu

codeblu

Not really diggin' the chopped one... Cool concept however.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great idea, and the photoshop work is excellent. I'd go with the unchopped version. Bob

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Someweere in the old photos from days gone by thread there was a photo of about 50 new Chevies from 31-32, there may have been one in there. Bob

8. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I wouldnt chop it, good idea on the sedan delivery.. however keep up posted on the progress.

9. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

i found this on carnut.com..only one i could find.

Attached Files:

10. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Heres a picture of John Pickels 32 Chevy Sedan Delivery, I took this picture at the NSRA Nat in Tulsa 1976. John has since passed away and his delivery is now owned by one of our club members.

Attached Files:

11. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

This was labeled a 31 but I think the rear one piece bumper says its a 32? the only difference between the 31 and 32 that I can find is the 31 had a visor and Model A'sh hood louvers and the 32 had a cowl vent and the square hood doors?

[​IMG]

12. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I grew up looking at Pickles car here in San Diego. Still a nice ride!

13. Here's a Chevrolet ad for the '31:

Attached Files:

14. Here's some pics, that might help you out.

Attached Files:

15. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Hey thanks for the pics! I'm new to the old Chevy world and its kinda of fun learning the differences between them and the other manufactures. Hum now I need to make up my mind how far I want to go with it? I will be building my frame and I'm thinking fenders is more than I want to get into. Going fender-less isn't going to look right unchopped is it? what do you think?

16. henry29

henry29

I saw this at a local cruise in yesterday, not sure if it was real or not, but It did have the rear delivery door.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. henry29

henry29

Well after seeing those pics 29bowtie posted, there's no way that one was real, not even close.

18. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Pics 5 and 6 are also John Pickles old Sedan Delivery as it looks today.

19. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a converted tudor sedan to me... If you look at the body bead line below and to the back of the rear window, on a delivery the bottom line rounds to the back of the car. The sedan curves forward.

That is what I'm trying to figure out, which door would look better? Guess it doesn't really matter if no one knows what the original was. LOL
    By the looks of Pickles ride id say a four door looks more in proportion.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  20. Normbc9

Normbc9

Bob,
    Give me a PM. I happen to know where is one of those still running and not restored.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

21. rleard

rleard
    from Calif.

yep got one in my garage, its one of 4 that I know of,
    1 Dollar Or
    2 NY NY
    3 Phoenix Az (Joe )
    4 Carlsbad Ca (Ron dah thats me)
    I have owned it from 1956 , $35 cash money with termites , and 13 tickets,
    It is now a 350/350 9 in Lincoln , X and Boxed frame with Mustang front end.
    CShelby 500, CS mustang, Contiental mark II , Skyliner, Comet, etc. and 1 Chevy
    will send picture in a few days
    l

22. 29moonshine

29moonshine

do not know about the 31-32 but the 29 delivery the doors are the same as a 4dr

Attached Files:

23. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

I'll just say that in 1932 Chevy cars had just 2 door hinges. They also had the 4 vent doors in the hood sides and no visor. The 31 Chevy had 3 door hinges, the hood had a bunch of louvers and the car also had a visor. That's what I know, as far as what the sedan deliveries would of had I don't know. I see pictures that were posted that look like 32's or 29 or 30 and a couple that might be 31's but it's hard to tell at best. The 1931 Chevy had it's differences from it's 1930 and 1932 brothers. I'm sure other Chevy owners know more than I do so I will let them chime in.

24. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

If you're building a car from scratch,what difference does it make what doors YOU use.Make the quarters in visual proportion to the doors you are using and the rest of the vehicle.

25. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

good looking idea---go for it...

26. I say use 2 door doors and chop it some. Not quite as much as the PS pic you posted .Just need to keep it in proportion. It could be neat. Even without fenders.

27. i like the rendering of the rear windows filled but think the filler panel should come out towards the out side of the body. it looks too deep and makes it look fake.

28. tunram2quad

tunram2quad

The unchopped pic is the way to go

29. rtomss

rtomss

Don't know for sure but I'm guessing the 4 door sedan and 5 window coupe share the same door. I do know the 3 window coupe and 2 door sedan share the same (larger) door. Personally I think the larger door would look better on the delievery.