Register now to get rid of these ads!

need some help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rooster619, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Rooster619

Rooster619
    from phoenix AZ

hows it goin fellas,

So here is my issue I finished rebuilding my engine (ford 302) start it get it going, and for some reason on the left bank (passenger side) the rockers nuts keep backing out this is the first time I ever expexperienced this. Initially I set the valve lash statically and they still were ticking so my old man told me to do them while running so the lifters fill etc so I did it sounded good. I shut it off slapped the covers back on fired it up and took it for a cruise about ten minutes in started to get the tick again opened the covers when I got home and sure enough loose nuts and the rockers on 7 jumped off. has anyone had this issue before? if so how did you fix it? any help or suggestions are gladly welcomed thanks

2. George

George

On a 302 you just run the nut down til it's tight, no adjusting unless you replaced the OEM stuff. If you have the right stuff it shouldn't be backing off, unless you're leaving slop.

3. kracker36

kracker36

Hold on guys! What style rocker arm system? Setting lash is only done on mechanical lifters, and setting rockers while running isnt necessary. More info please.

4. kracker36

kracker36

Just running the nuts down randomly does not properly set the preload on the lifter plunger. I just want to get this cleared up before we keep on going. We need to know what type of rocker system we are dealing with.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

5. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

ive had this happen before on a roller rocker setup. turns out the rockers were eating the pushrods up. went to chromoly and it fixed the problem. hopefully this helps you out

6. Rooster619

Rooster619
    from phoenix AZ

thought it would be easier to take a pic and show

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. Rooster619

Rooster619
    from phoenix AZ

anyone else feel like giving some advice?

8. Rooster619

Rooster619
    from phoenix AZ

im guessing what George said was correct?

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

cam going flat will appear as loose valve train parts...

10. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Go to your parts store and buy you a new set of rocker arm nuts . Exact same thing happened to me on a chevy sbc. Problem went away when I put them on.

11. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Had that problem also & the cheap fix was adj. the rockers a half turn after clicking stops then double nut the stud. Either the stud or lock nut are worn out.

12. Canus

Canus

Rooster,
    Based on your photo George is 100% correct. Run them down tight (don't think there is a torque spec.) and run them.

13. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

George is right --

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Those nuts only have a certain life to them, you can only reuse them so many times before the tension goes away and they are no longer lock nuts. I would buy a new set and see how that goes before trying anything else.

Also, does it look to anyone else like too much thread is showing above the nuts ? It has been years since I ran anything but roller rockers so I forget how far down the nut usually goes, but that seems excessive to me. Could he have pushrods that are too short, or a mismatch on the type of rocker those studs call for ?

Don

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  15. steve185

steve185

With hydraulic lifters, the valve needs to be closed (piston at TDC) tighten the nut and at the same time keep turning the push rod. When you get to the point that the push rod is no longer able to turn tighten the nut 1/4 turn. this needs to be done for all the valves and must be done with the valves closed.
    Steve

16. kracker36

kracker36

Steve, correct but for some reason noone wants to listen to us;)

17. kracker36

kracker36

Just remember, there is a difference between installing and adjusting. Since I see in the pics that you have positive stop/non-adjustable rockers, I can tell you how they should be installed. These can be torqued slowly "IF" the lifters are not on the base circle ( vavles closed). If this is the case and then the nut should be turned only about a 1/4 turn at a time to allow bleeding. If they are just torqued down in one pass, a bent valve could result. If you go through steves process, then it is easier and safer in my opinion. Also, comp makes a kit to allow adjustment of this type rocker.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

A few weeks ago I found an excellent video on YouTube about how to properly adjust sbf roller rockers. I had been doing it differently and my valvetrain was always a little noisy. I did it according to the way shown in the video and it really made a difference..........the car is much quieter and it is pulling a lot harder and idling a lot better.

Here is that video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tPGnjPnJs0

Don

19. jimvette59

jimvette59

Just a note. I use BradPenn 20/50 oil. Has the correct amount of Zinc to protect the cam and push rods. JMHO.

20. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I had the same problem as the OP on a 302. The old lock nuts wouldn't hold. No problems after I replaced them.
    And yes, it looks like there is too much thread showing.

21. kracker36

kracker36

Well, Ill go ahead and quote Mr.T

" Get some nuts Fool ! " ;)

22. Rooster619

Rooster619
    from phoenix AZ

thanks for all the comments and suggestions i really appreciate it! guess im going o be buying some new nuts see if that helps any and thats what i figured they were worn out because im able to spin them out by hand again thanks alot ill let you guys know how it goes once i get new ones installed!

rooster

23. Rooster619

Rooster619
    from phoenix AZ

this is the way i did them initially so ill get a new set of nuts and lets hope that works thanks again fellas

24. Rooster619

Rooster619
    from phoenix AZ

thanks again guys had to run them down and there is a torque to em ended up buying the new nuts just installed em torqued em down and she has a nice rumble

thanks!