Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Plymouth canvas roof

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BradM32ply, Feb 27, 2013.

1. BradM32ply

BradM32ply

My boys and I just got the canvas roof off of the 32 Plymouth coupe. I am wondering what experience others have had with replacing the top with the same wood/ chicken wire / canvas setup as original vs. replacing with a metal roof section. I am thinking the metal roof might be better, but the canvas roof was unique to that era. I am not doing a 100% original restore, but I am trying to be somewhat original, at least in appearance.
    Thanks,
    Brad

2. The 32 Plymouth's like the 32 Fords have basically the same design with the top,,,I prefer the original style.

Lot's of guys use the factory style top. HRP

3. millions of restored cars out there using canvas style roofs, nothing wrong if you like it.

4. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

I like the "Patch" in the roof for sure... even know when guys have filled the roof with steel to strengthen it up and then still have the "patch look" so it looks original ish.

5. BradM32ply

BradM32ply

I am a pretty fair woodworker, so I am sure I can do an adequate job rebuilding the frame. Is the canvas work something that a local upolstery shop can do?

6. you can do it.

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

canvas is the easy part...

8. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

im thinking about doing the same on my 33plymouth. not sure of the process. how does water stay out? does the frame and canvas glue onto the body?

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The original is more like a vinyl top. Easier to replace it than weld in metal.

There was a framework of wooden strips, which was covered with chicken wire, which was covered with cotton padding. The cotton was covered with thin muslin cloth. With the cloth tacked or stapled on, you can push the cotton around with long needles to eliminate lumps and get it perfectly smooth.

Then you tack on the vinyl. There is a thin molding and sealant that goes around the edge. It should be leak proof and last for at least 20 years, longer if parked indoors or under a car port.

Some Chrysler products had the top made as a separate sub assembly that dropped into the hole in the roof. Most cars had the top built right on the car.

10. letncat

letncat

Attached Files: