Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fiberglass or hunt for original?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32 rat, Mar 23, 2013.

1. 32 rat

32 rat

should i try to hunt down a original 32' ford pickup cab & bed or should i just find someone with a fiberglass fake?

2. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

you should get a fiberglass one.

3. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

That's like asking if that girls tits are real or fake? If you can touch them they are real! So get what ya want.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The choice is up to what you can find. Some guys hate glass cars. They are usually the ones with steel cars. Get what you can find and afford. I originally wanted a steel model T. Then I saw how much a rusted, paper thin Model T went for. I went glass, but glass T's get a pass....... sometimes.

5. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

That's a stupid question... Get fiberglass and leave the real steal for me.

6. 32 rat

32 rat

i like the personality of the old rusty steel bodys but with that normaly comes with a 15k price tag cause these people know what they have and how short the supply is so the glass is in my price range but you never know

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get what fits your budget. You're building a car for you, not us.

8. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

Get what makes you happy. Steel is cool, but glass has it's benefits too. I bought a steel body and am still not on the road. If I had bought a glass car, I would have had the money to finish my project a lot earlier.

Don't be afraid to wait and keep searching the classifieds. There are plenty of cabs out there to be had. Just keep searching craigslist

9. would you be sattisfied /happy with a fake? if not then dont buy one

me personnelly id be fine with glass

10. does someone make a fiberglass `32 pickup cab and a fiberglass bed?

11. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

do what your self confidence will allow...

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If someone does, I was not aware of it.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I was thinking of a closed cab, those roadster bodies are pretty cool.

15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you HAVE to have a 32 pickup? Any 30s Ford is gonna be on the pricey side compared to other cars. I know a local guy who has a 51 Ford 2 door project pretty cheap...Not a 32, but still pretty bitchn.

The three major factors to keep in mind on any hot rod project are time, skill level and budget. If you are lacking in any one, you need a double dose of the other two. If you are lacking in two of those things, you need a SHIT load of the other one.

For what it's worth, I like rusty steel too...

Good luck, -Abone.

16. mikeymike

mikeymike

None of the fiberglass bodies are the same as the original models. I cant say I appreciate any of the alternative body styles......

17. GlenC

GlenC

Isn't '32' the magic number that adds a whole lot of '0000's' to the asking price?

From what I understand, a 33-34 pickup cab is all but identical to a 32, and I've seen them for reasonable prices, compared to a 'gennie' 32 that is.

I believe the major differences are in the swage lines on the back of the cab, and maybe the way the visor or top hinges are fitted, the front section, cowl etc is pretty much identical. I think there's even a thread on here about 'converting' a 33-34 cab to a 32.

Good luck, I'd be happy with a glass one myself!

Cheers, Glen.

18. i dont care for glass cars myself,but if not being able to afford a steel one keeps you from building a car or truck, buy glass. these things are way to fun to miss out on driving,something..

19. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

If you are referring to fiberglass as "fake " , then I believe you have the answer to your question.

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

You'll always be envious of the guy with real steel, I know I was.

21. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yeah...but if he has a 'glass Hot Rod to drive, instead of hopping in a Yaris to get home, the smile will soon be back on his face! ;):D

22. '32 cabs are identical to '33 & '34 cabs EXCEPT the '32 uses the same firewall as a '32 car and the '34 cab has an extra reveal on the back of the cab. The fuel tank for a '32 is under the seat. Actually the '33 & '34 firewall gives you a bit more leg room in the cab than the '32. Those are the differences I am aware of but there could be more.

Personally, I like steel but it's your ride. Build what YOU want.

23. bobscogin

bobscogin

Yes!

Bob

24. I still thing you can find a original 32-34 cab that need a little work for about what you would pay for a glass cab,,you might have to travel to find one.

I will point out that steel is real but glass can be real fun,,I've had both. HRP

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  25. dill68

dill68
    from upstate sc

hrp is right. the 32-34 cabs arent that hard to find and probably inline with a glass price. easier to find a big truck to get sheetmetal. i decided i wanted to build one and a weak latter i had found one that had been out of the weather in a shed for the past 60 yrs. just had to travel to go get it

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Depends whether you're better at gluing or welding. :)

27. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

I did a glass truck. Everything worked out fine and I had alot of old timers complement me on how nice it was. Mines the red one in there advertisemnet. Good luck on your decision.
    www.hotrodit.com

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      33.1 KB
      Views:
  28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yank, what I love about your truck is, well basically everything! It's pretty much what I was after but lacked the experience to build one and couldn't afford a done one, so, alas, I have my heap.

Anyway, as a 35 year, flaired fendered, hood scooped, shaved Vette owner I'm very familiar with fiberglass. I has it's advantages, mainly it doesn't rust :), easy to get creative with..but also it's disadvantages, stress cracks, ground wires to everything..

But as the previous poster replied, if you're calling fiberglass "fake" you may have answered your own question.

29. banginona40

banginona40

Steel will be more valuable and easier to turn if necessary. That would be my choice.

30. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Depends if you want to spend your life looking for a body or finishing and driving.