Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC to Muncie 4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gas Stove-bolt, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Just a little help needed. I am swapping an inline for a small block. The truck is a 57 with original engine that some-one has stuck a 4 speed behind. I have an early SBC to stick in the truck but want to keep the tranny. Will the bell housing match, or will I need another bell housing?

Thanks

2. aaggie

aaggie

The six cylinder bell housing won't bolt up to the SBC.

3. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Yes it should bolt right up.

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

5. I think he will need a v8 bellhousing and different starter.

6. Rodshop

Rodshop

Conflicting answers here- so did a little looking and this is what is out there that people seem to agree on:

If your inline is a 230, 250, or 292 the bellhousing is absolutely the same as a V-8.

7. Correct, however his origianl engine would be a 235.

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

and are you sure the four speed was a modification? A four speed truck transmission was a factory option

9. It should be the same bellhousing. My old '65 C30 came with a 292, someone put a Pontiac 215 (same as Chevy 230) in it. I took that out and put in a 283. Used the same clutch and bellhousing.

Bob

10. R Pope

R Pope

Yes, a '57 original engine was a 235, V8 won't fit the bell but a V8 bell will accept the Muncie.

11. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

When I swapped a V8 into mine I got another bell housing with the crossmember mounting pads as original. It's been a while but I think it was mostly because of the starter but I cannot be sure or remember. I'd check starter mounting as well as the bolt mounting pattern. :cool:

12. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I am 95% sure it won't work, the later 65 and up or 62 and up Nova will though, but if i remember correctly you could bolt the later bell to the tranny with a little work it's been a real long time since i played with them.

13. cavman

cavman

If it still has the orig 235 in it, or any other 235 up to and including 1962, the 6 cyl bell housing will not fit the V8. An orig 57 truck V8 bell has just one hole on each side for the crossmember mt. in it, unlike a car bell that has takes a different mt, it has 2 holes per side. I do believe I still have one, but I'll have to wait for the snow to melt to check. :)

the muncie will fit the mounting holes on the bell, althout the center hole may be larger dia.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  14. Thanks for the info. Last owner told me it was a Muncie and a 235. He owned the truck for 30+ years. It came out of a barn. :D

We have the Shriner Swap meet coming up, I'll see what I can pick up.

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No. The guys who say the 235 bell won't fit the V8 are correct.

But...unlike the car bellhousings, the old Chevy truck bellhousings for the 235 have a mounting bolt pattern for the transmission which is the same as the later Chevy transmissions...3 speed and the 4 speed trans...including the Muncie. So I have no problem believing that the previous owner did in fact install a Muncie 4 speed trans in your '57.