Register now to get rid of these ads!

New PA antique license plate law?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2loud2old, Mar 23, 2013.

1. 2loud2old

2loud2old

irrelevant

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  2. If PA is like South Carolina they probably have a website that gives you a list of YOM prefix letters and numbers you can and can't use.

It's a good idea to check with them before purchasing a tag.

Ask me how I know!:rolleyes: HRP

3. Out here on the prairie, I've had no problem running an old tag. Got a 32 Okie tag on our 32. On the road about 3 years now. We keep a current tag in the vehicle - just in case. Never been stopped (yet). Also run a 36 tag on our 36 Ford for years. Supposed to register with the state and pay the extra fee and all that stuff but we have skirted around it....

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That's interesting in the 60s Maryland cars used tags with 2 letters followed by 4 numbers. Trucks used 4 number followed by 2 letters and a different expiration date. We see YOM plates all the time that were originally issued for a truck used on cars. The plates don't say truck but everyone that was around back then knows what they are. My buddy has "star" tags which were issued only
    for state vehicles. Our state doesn't care. as long as the are real. The nice thing about PA. is that there was only 1 tag so you don't need a pair.

5. Why not go to your DMV and ask them??

Cosmo

6. oldolds

oldolds

You vehicle has to regestered as an antique to do YOM in PA. I have not checked out your question with the state yet, but, When a truck is regestered antique in PA it is illegal to haul anything in it. It is for show, not work. As to how the law is enforced that is up to thew locals. I was told by a friendly officer that he could give me a ticket for hauling a picnic basket back there if he wanted to.

7. South Carolina is annul about the YOM tages,,If a letter was designated as a local or state government tag in can not be used,,I have a couple of South Carolina 1932 tags that I can't register. HRP

8. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Check with Pa DOT. It doesn't matter what they do in other state,you're concerned with Pa law ,so go to PA for the correct answer.

9. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Ohio you have to have historic plates, then you can register your YOM plates and you have to carry your Historic plates also. What sucks you have to be going to a show or coming back from one

10. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

[​IMG]

Google found one.

11. I believe if you read the second post I said that. HRP

12. racer67x

racer67x

I could make you one out of a blank...don't know how legal it would be though.
    did one for a friend that says 1931 Pontiac but he runs it on the opposite rear fender on the back,state issued plate on the left side.

• D.M.V. CONTACT INFORMATION:
      Pennsylvania Department Of Transportation
      Bureau of Motor Vehicles
      1101 South Front Street
      Harrisburg, PA 17104
      Telephone: 717-412-5300 or 800-932-4600 (in state)
      Email : From form within website

• SAMPLE LICENSE PLATE INFORMATION:
      Effective March, 2006 PennDOT decided to terminate their program to issue sample plates.

• YEAR OF MANUFACTURE LICENSE PLATE USE - See Notes:
      VEHICLE QUALIFYING AGE: N/A
      VEHICLE TYPES QUALIFYING FOR YOM: N/A
      MUST TYPES MATCH: N/A
      SINGLE/PAIR REQUIRED: N/A
      REPAINTED PLATES ALLOWED: N/A
      MUST NUMBER CLEAR: N/A
      NOTES: PennDOT provided the following reply regarding a Year-of -Manufacture program: "PennDOT issues plates designated for Antique and Classic vehicles but does not have a Year-of-Manufacture program. However, since Pennsylvania only requires the license plate be displayed on the rear of the vehicle, an owner may display a decorative plate on the front of their vehicle that displays the year it was manufactured."

13. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Not going to derail this thread about PA rules, but this is incorrect about Ohio.
    Several of my buddys and I have been running YOM plates in Ohio for years and years.
    There are a large number of places and reasons you can drive your old car and be perfectly legal.
    Not just to and from a show.

14. Just go here=http://www.dmv.org/

15. oldolds

oldolds

HRP.
    That has been updated since 2006. New regs fall of 2012 allow YOM plates. My pop is a public notary,
    They do title work in PA. I saw the notice when it came in. Would have to ask him to look it up. The notice he gets in the mail never has the full law.

16. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

17. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i know that Pa allows the YOM plate now. but i'm not sure if you have to be registered as an antique. when you submit pics to get an antique plate your car has to be correct in it's antique look. no mags. hood scoops etc. what some have done is this: get a vanity plate with the same numbers as your YOM plate. run your YOM plate and if you get stopped, pull out your real plate.

18. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

To run YOM plate in Pa. legal , your car needs to be registered as antique / classic. $75.00 to register, $22.50 new title.. YOM plate an addittional $75.00 ,,,MV-11 www.DMV.state.pa.us ...

19. noboD

noboD

This is true. And I know a guy that put YOM dealer tags on his car and is not a dealer. I'm told, don't go to the bank on it, that any plate can be used as YOM plates, MC, truck, boat, etc. Pics are not needed to register as an antique. The ownwr must certify the car as original and he is responsible for acuracy. No longer have to argue with the nitwits that the paint is not shiny or chrome is rusted. BUT I wouldn't puit YOM plates on a hotrod.All other antique rules apply, like hauling nothing in the bed of a pickup, daytime only without sealed beam lights, etc. Read the rules , if you call the idiots they will just give their opinion just like here.

20. 5window

5window

I run my "beautifully crafted" PA Street Rod plate in it's proper location at the rear of my car and a '31 PA plate on the front bumper. Everyone knows the front plate isn't real in PA-so far no one seems to care. I also have a "fake" C gas ration sticker and a HAMB sticker-also decorative- on the windshield, but the PA inspection sticker properly displayed.

21. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

Of course all states are different with the YOM rules. But, all the people at the DMV don't know the rules either. I had a 1966 Kansas plate with 00000 (5 zeros) on it, which was a sample plate here in '66. I wanted to register it to my car and the first lady said "No, you can't register a sample plate." Which didn't make since, because here in Ks, a YOM plate is considered the same as a personalized antique plate. You can register any numbers, as long as someone else hasn't already.
    The kicker was, when I went back and finally found someone behind the counter to say, "Sure, no problem", someone else already registered 00000. Arrrrrrgh!!!