Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oil drain pans:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Mar 20, 2013.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Let's hear some suggestions for some good oil drain pans, or techniques. i am mainly concerned about convience and ease in pouring the used oil back into the plastic bottles. OR if i can carry the whole pan to the recycle place without any mess that would work too.

Money no object.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You know, most auto parts stores sell a catch jug that can also be used to hold the oil for disposal. They're everywhere.

3. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Right, but i'm wondering if there are any that make pouring the oil, specifically back into the plastic bottles easy? Or are there any that make it real convient and mess-free to take the whole pan to the recycling place?

i'm using a cake pan from walmart with a hole drilled near the top. This is generally very difficult and messy when it comes to disposal.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The pan IS the container that holds the oil for disposal. It has a large opening and is placed on it's side. You drain the oil, close the lid and take it to the recycler. Otherwise, use a funnel. I'm not really seeing what the issue is.

5. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Just pour it in a 5 gallon bucket... you can buy them for next to nothing, with a lid....

6. Go to a auto parts store and get one of these,,they are cheap and easy to pour back into bottles. HRP

[​IMG]

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

8. fordor41

fordor41

9. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Thanks for the bucket suggestion; i have one and the recycling place has huge vats to pour them in so no mess this way.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got one like HRP showed for draining oil and a yellow one for draining coolant. unless the container to haul the oil to the recycle tank has a large opening a funnel as fordor41 suggested is pretty handy to have.
    I have a 5 gallon or so container with a screw in cap that I store drain oil in and haul it to the collection point when it gets filled up.

11. ken1939

ken1939

I use the undercar type to drain, then use a funnel to fill the jug the new oil came in. My local Advanced auto takes the oil, but they just take you to their back room where there tank is and you dump it in. They dont even want your container. That goes in the recycle bin then.

Another local Penzoil oil change place also takes oil.

12. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

The bucket idea worked well.

In case anyone gives a plop, home depot is selling 5 gallon buckets for like $2.60. The lids are $1.48

13. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I go to a local restaurant and get the 5 gallon peanut oil jugs used for filling the fryers. When I fill them up I take it to the county waste depot.

14. robber

robber

My suggestion is for an easy technique that I use with my '47 Willys.;)

I have a Moroso oil pan which had the drain plug located clear at the rear. I traded out the plug for a "quick ball valve". That way I never have to wrench the plug or drop it into a pan of oil. The ball valves are very dependable, and don't drip. I pull the front of my Willys up onto my portable ramps. This gives the oil pan a nice draining angle towards the ball valve. The ball valve spout is made to accept 3/8" id hose. I simply put about a 6" piece of 3/8" fuel line on the spout and the other end goes into a milk jug. I just turn the valve and when I see the milk jug getting full, I shut the valve and grab another milk jug. When I'm done, I close the valve, pull off the fuel line and wipe the end of the spout off. No fuss, no muss, no tools. :D I love this! Every car should have a ball valve on the oil pan!

Another trick that you guys should try is this. After I break the oil filter loose, I put a zip lock freezer bag over the filter. When I turn the filter off of its mounting surface, I let it fall into the bag, then I zip lock it closed and it is ready to get rid of without dripping all over the place.;) ...robber

15. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

Not realy for drain pan application but I use 5 gallon culligan water jugs to store old oil from oil changes. The have a nice handle for ease for lifting in truck. Friend has an oil furnace and brings em back when they are empty.

16. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I have a few black plastic containers from the auto parts stores. They have a cover that goes on and holds the oil in pretty well. Obviously it's not the best seal in the world so avoid running the Baja 1000 or doing donuts with it in your trunk, but mine has never spilled a drop on the way to dispose it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Local donut shop - 5 gallon bucket - $1.25 with lid.

18. GREASER815

GREASER815

I can not even believe this is a thread, I was so amazed i had to look.

19. kinda fits in with the sbc valve cover bolt torque and grinder white wall threads!

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!!

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

21. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

How do you change oil?

22. GREASER815

GREASER815

What kind of funnel would be best to refill my engine oil? My valve cover has approx. a 1.25" hole. I am just not sure what to buy, I got to the funnel aisle and was just overwhelmed by all of the colors and sizes.

23. evintho

evintho

C'mon guys, cut him some slack! This probably would have been better served in GarageJournal but seriously, if you ain't got nothin' constructive to say..............

My local garbage company recycles the oil for us. They provide a 3 gallon container and I pour my used oil from the drain pan, through a funnel into the container then set it out at the curb with the garbage cans on Tuesday. They take the full container and leave an empty one along with recycle bags for the filter.

24. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Pardon me, but would the higher-and-mightier, washed, cultured, and better like to divulge how they dispose of used oil?

25. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Well? Let's hear it smart boys.

26. I use one of these from Homeless Depot or Lowes--they come in diff sizes.
    It'll catch the oil from the oil pan & filter at the same time,& works bitchen for servicing automatic trannys,& also great for coolant draining as it always seems to run all over the frame & never in the round drain pan.
    Even so,I put a drain plug kit in the tranny pan on my daily right when I bought it.
    (they also work great for giving your little dog a bath when the weathers nice :))

google mixing tubs

Attached Files:

• TUB.jpg
      TUB.jpg
      File size:
      2.8 KB
      Views:
  27. noslocars

noslocars

I use this one and it's the best one i have found.
    [​IMG]
    I hate the ones that you can't take the lid off because you have to wipe it off every time and they are always a big mess. This ones lid spins off, you dump the oil into it and then you put the lid on and pull the smaller cap to fill a jug with. The only problem is that you cannot find them anymore. It's made by rubbermaid.

28. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Thank you for the mix tub idea; i think i will incorporate this in my oil change procedures.

FURTHER THOUGHTS:

1) the bucket idea worked well with virtually no mess; Even with a northstar oil change---those suckers have a 8 quart capacity, it didn't even come close to the brim, so i could actually carry it it in the front seat next to me with no mess.

2) The really smart people----Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawkings, anybody with a really high I.Q., don't put people down for not being as smart as them and you never see them do such. Think about this for a minute.

Listen, we as a society, as a human race MUST stick together, we MUST move together as a unit or we will most probably be finished eventually. Think about that for a minute---the behavior you are exhibiting, could be, at least in part, responsible for the eventual extinction of the human race. i think we need to concentrate on space, space exploration, and medicine and stop the petty bickering.

This is your lesson in humanity for this sunday. Now go out there and do the right thing.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  29. tedster

tedster

What a bunch of bullshit. Somebody close this please.

30. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i'm sensing some anger and resentment here. Would you like to talk about it?

This isn't really about the oil is it?