Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Gowjobs": Depresion Era Performance and Early day hop-up tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Aug 13, 2010.

1. flyin-t

flyin-t

Proved wrong again.
    I stand corrected, that's a cool lookin car

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I wish I could claim credit for more than the idea, but it's a commissioned work from the Photoshop thread. I think HAMBster "Russian" did it for me. I could also see a Tudor sedan done that way - though I'm angling for a touring car myself.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Maybe this can illustrate my point. It's sort of moot for this thread, 'cause I have never seen a Gow Era car with this done. If you look at this little car in profile, check out where the "bun panels" of the body are in comparison to the rear fenders, then croll back up to the stocker profile above. If this car had a stock grille shell on it, it's hood would have to be a bit longer to compansate this rear ward shift. I'd say the body AND turtle deck have been pushed back by a good 2-3" on this car, yet the running boards and fenders remain stock length. Hope fully this pictue will paste nice and big so you can see what I mean. But as I said, in the sixties and sevnties when these cars got their little moment in the sun again, it was pretty common practice when running a V8 so you didn't kill leg room.[​IMG]

4. I like the idea of a Tudor, Dave!!!

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Here is the other one again 'cause the page changed... Also compare the firewall posistion to the front fender on both cars.[​IMG]

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

So nice to have this thread back up a swinging again :D

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

If old photos are any guide, it certainly seems that by 1926 the majority of Fords sold in Michigan were Tudor sedans.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Don't know if ya saw this one from a few pages back and earlier today in my mass posting, but I always thought this one would look bitchin' with the stance of Gabby's car applied...
    [​IMG]

Outback likes this.
  9. MrModelT

MrModelT

It was rare, but not unheard of. I was in contact with a fellow HAMBer not long ago about his father, Jean McCurdy, who was a member of the Hornets C.C. in Redlands, CA in the early 1930's with "Multi" Aldrich, Johnny Vasco, Bob Lehman, Loyd Patterson and Charles "Scotty" Scott. His dad built a '28 Chevy coupe with a 3 or 4" inch chop running an early Chevy 4-cylinder, Durrant rods, Nash rockers and an Olds 3-port head. I think the car was full fendered.

Sent from Mr. ModelT's DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Outback likes this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Isn't that Multi's original street rod with Vintage Air, 350T and an 8 track?:confused:

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Here is a detail worth some study, 23-25 upper windsheild posts mated to 15-22 hinge. I can't tell for sure what the lower post is and how it is modified. Bob [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  12. MrModelT

MrModelT

Those lower post/cowl mounts look straight....almost like '15-'22 with the side lamp mounts removed....then cut way down with a '23-'25 lower frame.

I have a set of '15-'22 hinges and would love to work them into my '26-'27 posts :D.......not sure how though :confused:

Sent from Mr. ModelT's DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Cool! Reminds me of this:

[​IMG]

14. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

Here is a pic of our Gowjob Now residing in Indiana

Attached Files:

15. flyin-t

flyin-t

I used that early hinge on my 27 too, I was just copying what Gabby did.

[​IMG]

16. Jalopy Banger

Jalopy Banger
    from Sweden

I used the original stanchions from my late -23. Same as -24 & -25. Just cut them down and then used the trimmed -15-22 hinges. You have to trim them pretty much to suit inside the windshield posts.
    Like this..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  17. KKrod

KKrod

The name on the back of the picture was Stanley Graham.

Nice Gow Job

18. KKrod

KKrod

StanleyGraham800dp1.jpg Lets try again

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    Outback and Dannerr like this.
  19. MrModelT

MrModelT

Oh!.......I LOVE this car! ....reminds me of a certain '26 Roadster I know ;)

Front axle has a Gabby style drop, Buffalo, Houk or Hayes wire wheels and the tripple pipe exhaust header sugests an S, R or SR Fronty OHV conversion.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Outback likes this.
  20. Really dig the windshield chop on this one!

[​IMG]

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Me too! I'm gonna have to remember it.

22. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Nice, giving me something to aim toward. And it has a kick starter too! :D

23. MrModelT

MrModelT

Gives me something to shoot for too when I re-do the windshield and top on my T. Plan to increase the head room by about 3" or 4".......won't look offensive, just need some more room.

24. KKrod

KKrod

I was looking to see if the windshield was broken or if it was just a reflectio n and I noticed a passenger in the car! You can see the hands.

Wish I knew what year the picture was taken.

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

I saw that too. The top half of the windshield looks almost as if it was edited (cut and spliced) beacause the reflection doesn't make sense. The center of the windshield is clear, no reflection at all and can be clearly seen through...yet the right and left sides are not.....and nothing is reflected on those sides. The lower section appears to have the reflection of a tree in it....but that doesn't jive either. I think someone edited out the passenger.

I would say from the clothing, styling of the build and general feel of the photo..between 1929 and 1932.

This is supported by the evidence.....as those are 1932 California plates ;)

Outback likes this.
  26. kirby1374

kirby1374

It looks like gas was $.18 a gallon.........

27. abc123

abc123

To me, it looks like the center part of the windshield has been broken out. The remaining glass is reflecting the sky, along with some wires and, in the bottom portion at the center, the man standing in front.

28. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Looking at it more, looks like he has rope wrapped around the drivers side spring must be a rebound strap.

29. bct

bct

old chevs had the small bottom half very similar to the pic posted.