Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Insani-T Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by op4wd1, Nov 3, 2012.

1. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

there's also draw clecos. they have a wing nut on top, they get a better bite when the metal is difficult..........you can get them from Brown Avation and from the yard Store...cheaper at the yard....

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

3. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Keep the pics coming! Looking great.

4. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Are you widening it for extra space? A wider frame? now you got me wondering... keep up the good work.

5. FivesDaddy

FivesDaddy

Cool as shit...I like it...I'll keep an eye or two on this one...

6. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

May sound strange but the reason I decided to widen the car is because of the dash I going to use. I have know idea what it is from but it is made from cast aluminum. Here a pic of it.

Joe

[​IMG]

7. fordman1

fordman1

Nice work! What are you doing for a frame and running gear?

8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Great work! Very nice project you have going here. Look forward to the updates.

9. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

Thanks for all the great comments.

Fordman1,
    Frame will be either 1.5x3 or 2x3 rectangle tube. Thinking of doing a perimeter frame in the body area, the body will be channeled probably about 4 inches. 4inch drop I beam axle with quarter elliptic springs on it. Rear round back 9 inch ford. engine 283 with 3 deuces, tranny not sure yet.

For all the nay Sayers!
    Don't want to hear OH! another SBC its what I have had and what I like. Its my car I'm building it the way I want it.

Joe

10. FivesDaddy

FivesDaddy

Good choices on the drive train...all the same stuff I'm using along with a 5 speed trans...

11. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

Well was able to work some more today, mainly in the trunk area. On the stock Doctor's style coupes the trunk lid was just a square opening. It has a lip that points up and then then trunk lid sits wider than the opening overlapping it, similar the way Model T's a early Model A's doors overlap the door opening. I didn't like it that way so I took a piece of bar stock and clamped it to the edge around the trunk opening and reversed the lip around the opening to point down. I'm also making a new trunk lid that will extend below the curve part of the quarter panels. Where the curve is there was no lip to bend down so I made some pieces to weld in to give me an inner lip. I also got the,... I guess I'll call them rain gutters made that will go around the trunk opening to channel water from going inside the trunk. I did not take any picture of them, you'll see them later after I get them welded in.

Joe

[​IMG]
    Lip around trunk opening before I reversed it.

[​IMG]
    End of quarter panel where there was no lip to bend down.

[​IMG]
    End of pass. quarter panel cut out for new lip piece.

[​IMG]
    Piece fitted ready to weld in.

[​IMG]
    New lip welded in a partially finished.

12. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

Been meaning to put some update photos in for some time now. Sorry for the delay for those following the build.
    Got the new rear Tail light license plate panel made for the new trunk lid configuration. Also got the trunk drip rails made up.
    Have another set of pics I need to retake of some body frame work pieces will get those on here tomorrow. Doesn't seem like much for all the time it has been since the last post but there was fabricating from scratch.

[​IMG]
    Tail light Panel.

[​IMG]
    Pass Trunk drip rail

[​IMG]
    Drivers side trunk drip rail

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

14. Two things;
    First, I like the hell out of your tail light/third brake light design. Looks right at home. No fun to get run over 'cuz someone can't see you.

Second, "For all the nay Sayers!
    Don't want to hear OH! another SBC its what I have had and what I like. Its my car I'm building it the way I want it."
    Chill! It's your car. What we think isn't nearly as important as you make it out to be. If you like it, that's what's important.
    It looks from here like it's going to be a cool little car. Have at it!

15. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

Ok ran back out to the shop and re-took the photos that my camera didn't save the first time.
    These pics are some of the body frame work I'm making out of 3/4 inch sq. tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. druids62

druids62

Critics? who needs them?!??

17. A car that light would be right at home with a powerglide for a transmission....

Centex deluxe, you might want to spend some time here before you start throwing barbs at people.....just sayin......

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Jesus dude... Blow it out your ass! If you don't like the guys build, don't click on it! Pretty simple - can we expect to see more of your tirades here in the future, newbie?

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'd hardly jump on this board and look for tough guy creadibilty with THAT as my token... That's about as far off topic as it get for here.

20. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

Yeah, this is gonna end well.

21. rancid737

rancid737

wow. way to de-rail a build thread.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Very much likewise! So I misspelled a word, big deal. My credibility can't be shaken as I've been around here for more than a week or two, and long enough to know that if you want to continue this deal, let's take it off the board and not dirty this guys thread up further. But not acting like an idiot goes a long way around these parts.

23. druids62

druids62

Jeepers creepers guys. got on here for some light reading. I was really enjoying some dude getting his hands dirty and Mr. Centex had to stick his oar in!?! You say you are a teacher? No wonder the world is on a slippery slope. Now please go back to our regular schedule builder. Keep at it my friend! We would all enjoy some more of your build!

24. op4wd1,
    Don't let our little drama get in your way. Keep on your build, keep posting.

25. Quick question.
    How did you do the vinegar wash? Does it clean the rust clear down into the pits?
    That sheet metal looks wayyy better than when you drug it home.

26. op4wd1

op4wd1
    from IN

Mike,

On the vinegar for one thing you need a lot of it. As this build has progressed slowing since I got the body I waited until vinegar was on sale during canning season in the Summer around here you can get a gallon for little over a buck compared to almost $4 during other times of the year. I a 2 year period I bought 50 gallons and had to get creative to be able to dip the parts. (I saved the jugs put back into after I was totally done; it does loose a little strength after a while but I found if I did re-use it all I had to do was add a fresh gallon and it seemed to work the same as a whole new batch)
    I did several methods. Mainly built plywood boxes the size of the part I wanted to dip. Had an old water bed bag from years gone by, cut it on one of the long sides then put it in the box I made put the part in then poured the vinegar in. Covered the top with plastic and let it soak a few days. On my body the rust layer would wrinkle like when you use paint stripper. When I saw it was like that I would pull it then right away take it out in the drive way and blast it with my power washer. It would get 90% of the rust off some areas had to use a wire brush. I would rinse it very well on all sides then take air hose and then finally my heat gun to completely dry the part.
    Some parts because of there size I would have to turn then dip again on those I just stuck back in the tank, not dry. On those for some reason the area that was stripped would get a coating of bright red film over it but when washing the other area of the part it would wash right off along as I did it when it was still wet. If it dried all I had to do was take a wire brush while I was spraying it with water and it would come off. Another way I tried was I had an old parts washer pump and I submerged it in the box and attached an old shower head and let it spray over the part, I don't recommend doing it that way because it works a lot faster and actually etched the side of the cowl pretty bad in the area the shower head was spraying. You have to remember that vinegar is a form of acid.
    Overall I was pleased with how it worked, but it is a slow process, not one of those deals where you put it in and coupe of hours you have a de-rusted parts. Like I said earlier it can take several days each soak and if it is a big part and you have to flip it four times it can take a week to strip one part like my quarter panels did. If you want more info PM me and give me your phone # and I'll explain it more.
    Joe

27. 1nickthegreek

1nickthegreek

Loving it all thus far, dont let the haters derail you because I am watching this and waiting patiently (or is it impatiently) for the next set of pics. ;)

28. Thanks! That tells me what I need to know. I don't have any rust issues in my 47, that I know of. However, even though I keep saying this is my last project, we all know how that goes...

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

op4wd1 I very humbly apologize for escalating the unpleasentness last night. I just don't take real well to people being insulting and being "the internet tough guy". I probably could have handled that a bit differently, but, what it was it was.

Thanks for the vinegar deal! I have a bunch of "T" sheet metal that I'm going to be doing the same with in the very near future. I happened to find an old garden pond that someone was throwing away in an alley by a friends house that will fit almost all of the stuff I need to soak, so I got lucky. I have also been told that there is a type of industrial vinegar that is my times less expansive, but I have yet to find a supplier.

Once again, sorry for derailing your thread last night.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I like that body frame work you have going there looks great. How did you bend that tubing?