Register now to get rid of these ads!

50's Plymouth Disc Conversion Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CARtoons Magazine, Feb 19, 2013.

1. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

Hi everyone. I have a question about my 50 plymouth deluxe that I am converting to 4 wheel disc brakes. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what is the best master cylinder to use? Also should I keep it located low where it is located factory or should I mount it on the firewall and make it work from there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. check out my albums there is the unit i used on mine its off a Dodge Datona and mounted in the same location as the stock. worked great and was an easy swap.

3. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

Did you go 4 wheels disc brakes? What year Daytona? Thanks

4. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Do they make disk brake conversions for 50s plymouths? My 54 could use them. As for the master, I put a dual res, power boosted, hanging pedal set up on mine. Works great.

5. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

I picked a 8.8 rear end from an explorer that has rear discs. Scarebird has a disc conversion kit that I am working on purchasing. Heard good things about there kits.

6. supervert

supervert

why not do the explorer front too? there is a bunch of threads on here on doing it.

7. 73RR

73RR

8. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

Keeping it simple for now. Dont know what the future holds.

9. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

10. derbydad276

derbydad276

11. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

^^ thanks for the link derbydad!

12. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

x2...

13. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

Thanks for the link, but still no
    Good answer on the best master cylinder for a 4 wheel disc set up for a 50 plymouth.

14. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Use a Vette M/C.... anyone you choose, check whether it has internal or you need external residual valves, depending ont he position...

If you mount it low, your gonna need a bellcrank setup, because the Dual M/C you need to multiply the rod ratio versus peddle ratio. I think I had $100 into the bellcrank setup on my 41 p12

If you mount it low, consider a remote fill as well...

I used Brake Tech Solutions out of NC. They are very helpfull, and ay have a kit or at least give you tech on your application.

15. tailpipe47

tailpipe47

Doing the same swap on my 49 Plymouth fastback. I also am using Scarebird front and Explorer discs on rear, but I am installing them on an 8" Ford rear. Went with Ford because I couldn't find an 8 3/4 mopar cheap enough or the right size. I went with Scarebird because the parts used with it is all mopar parts.

16. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

May or may not be helpful, but I found a combination that works on Dodge I beam truck axles from that era that I use on hot rod builds. I use a FEDERATED SB96217 Front Brake Rotor/Disc that , believe it or not, is for 1992 thru 2003 Camrys. They are actually 5 on 4 1/2 ( Go figure), and they are shallow enought to keep things tidy. I use GM metric calipers and a bracket that I punch on my CNC turret. The rotors are only $17.00 as are the calipers. There is some simple machine work to make the parts cooperate, but it ended up being a VERY economical solution. Those early Mopar brakes SUCK.

17. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I used AAJ on the 55 desoto and ECI on my 53. I was happy with the parts. Just make sure to match up the parts. Bore size matters. stroke matters.