Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

more 1952

Attached Files:

2. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Indoors 1953

Attached Files:

3. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

More from 1953

Attached Files:

4. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

and some more

Attached Files:

5. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Great pic John good to see names like the great Jimmy Knight and Harry Turner again and I hope thy are not forgotten. BK

6. sideways27

sideways27

I have to tell you all about something I had my hands on yesterday. It was handed to me and when I opened it up and read thru it I could not believe what I was holding in my hands. It was the hand written midget build book by George Shilala, it had every item on his cars from the front to the rear of each car he built. Each part was hand drawn with all the dimensions. I felt like I was holding one of midget racings holy grails. Would anyone on here have any idea of the value of this book? I know it is what someone is willing to pay for it but I am looking for something in the ball park to start with.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  7. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

sideways27, Your midget build book by George Salih sounds like something the Indianapolis Speedway Museum would love to have. If they did want it, you could set/declare the price (as high as you want) donate it and take the tax reduction.
    Denny Z.

8. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Are you meaning George Shilala here and not George Salih?

9. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

A racing car museum with an accessable library with a focus on midgets would be a much better choice, preferably in California. Justice Brothers comes first to my mind but not sure if there is a lbrary or reference room. Ditto for Speedway Motors' American Museum of Speed.

The Eastern Museum of Motor Racing exactly fits the bill although I suspect California built Shilalas (and Solars) were not too common in the East although the higher production Kurtis' were.

10. sideways27

sideways27

My mistake you are correct it is George Shilala just going too fast and my brain was not in gear.:eek:

11. sideways27

sideways27

The only problem with a museum this book was very well used and is the kind of book that you would not want people just going thru it. It would not last long. It needs to be in a place where someone who would take care of it and maybe make copies of the origional and allow people to look at the copies. I just think it is a peace of racing history. I know there are people out there that would love to have this item and have been contacted by a few already. I want it for my collection but I feel the price is over my budget. That is why I am asking the question what is it worth?

12. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

When I get good stuff like albums rare paper or other racing stuff I send them to Gordon White. He puts them on Micro film and take copies to the Smithsonion and sends copies to EMMR. This way historians have access to them.
    Also before Ron Heddendorf passed on he digitally copied many of the Ardc and Roths photo. He saved thousand of pics from getting away. I have Ronnie Househollders albums including the Shwinn bicycle funny book abou their bicyle run behind his midget and some original phots of it. When I`m gone I want my stuff to go to EMMR.

13. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Hey sideways, I think Stan has the best idea. Denny Z.

14. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

15. sideways27

sideways27

I like that idea, and I am going to pass it on to the owner. I know he knows Gordon White very well. Thanks Guys for your input.

16. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

One tough driver!! Ernie McCoy

Ernie went through 6 hours of surgery on the left side of face & hundreds
    of stitches after this mishap.

This actually was the third time he needed a plastic surgeon following an accident and all involved his face.
    Most would have quit the sport, but Ernie ran into the 1970's

Pic is from the Illustrated Speedway News 1957

Attached Files:

17. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

His real name was Ernie Musser.

18. the shadow

the shadow

stan,
    what happened to the ardc pics that Ron Heddendorf saved, are they available for public viewing or in a private collection?

Paul

19. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Paul,
    I`m sure Ron gave copies to EMMR, I will check out this week. ARDC is having their Spring meeting at my place on Sun. Ron Lauer will be there he is Heddendorfs son in law. I have coppies of them. There are over 3500 photos by Eli Roth alone.. Tons of stuff.
    I`ll get back to you next week.

20. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I had that comic as a kid. Would be neat to see it now,,,,

21. the shadow

the shadow

thanks stan, If EMMR has them It would be worth driving out to view them, I am looking for ARDC pics from 1957 in particular.
    we lost my uncle at an ardc race in aug 1957, he ran ardc all that year till his death so i am hoping maybe I may find a pic of him in his car? all the pics we have (4) are posed (seated pics).
    please let me know if you can help me out with info!
    Paul

22. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

1952 Illustrated Speedway News photos

Attached Files:

23. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

more 1952 action

Attached Files:

24. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Attached Files:

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks the photos, John. Those were the days when there was still a true "ladder" system. Midgets - Sprint Cars - Championship Trail - Indianapolis.

26. TommyA19

TommyA19

Stan and all - best I know, Ron Lauer has the Heddendorf photos and slowly has been posting some of them on Facebook. I know Heddendorf had some CD's made - I have a couple of them. Wish Lauer could make up some more.

27. Karrera

Karrera

My dad's first car was a midget racer - my grandfather imported some cars into Panama just before WWII broke out to start a racing series on the dirt horse racing ovals. The war brought on gas rationing and the cars sat until my dad turned old enough to drive. My grandfather gave him one of the midget racers to bomb around the Panama Canal Zone in. Here is dad in 1944 in his midget racer - he used to gives girls rides on the boat tail with their legs in the cockpit and their arms wrapped around his shoulders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Ron's been posting some of those shots on a Facebook group I started called Vintage Sprint cars from the beginning to the 80's and he has posted some on a Facebook page started by Buildy called Traditional open wheel circle track front engine race cars and I believe Ron started a group called Back in the day with ARDC where he has posted Hedddendorf's photos. His contributions have been a great help with My group along with the others where He has posted. So if any of you guys are on Facebook check these three sites out ..........Rich

29. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Gotta love those fords

Attached Files:

30. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Balboa stadium

Attached Files: