Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hosting my first car show: Announcing the Lone Star Deluxe April 27th in Texas City

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sam Navarro, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Bump for a guy trying to bring something cool to a sleepy lil oil town in Texas?!?!?!

2. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Quick lil update, we are up to 15 vendors & 3 sponsors for the event!!! Three bands so far looking for two more & it seems like everything is getting better & closer! Hope to see you guys there.

Cheers,
    SN

3. This will be a good time.

4. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Richard is everyone still planning the "Houston HAMB Meet" that morning at the Taqueria?

SN

5. I keep suggesting it.

6. They did this (to a greater extreme then what you described) at a show a buddy of mine frequents. and it was so that him, his son, and his friend could not park by each other at the show. cause they all had different styles. I guess the show got an earful cause the next year things were back to normal. although the number at the show were down; it took them a few years to get back up to were they where.

i would be careful of this and keep in mind that people may want to park together and my not have the same "type".

7. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

You are much better off sticking to your original plan. Keep it strictly pre-72 and have someone at the gate keeping out the rat rods. From personal experience, finding people smart enough and willing to work the gates and keep out the pieces of crap will be the hardest part. If you get overrun with 65-72 model cars, that will be a sign to lower the year cutoff, but allowing rat rods into your show will fend off people who might actually bring out nice hot rods or customs and will keep the show from growing. Also once people enter the gate, let them park wherever they like. Keep your core supporters happy and keep them wanting to come back next year.

8. I like this concept.

9. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Richard, why dont you explain what we talked about this afternoon! Haha, we are planning to have a separate "Rats Alley" section for all of them, the rest of us normal folks will be in the main area.

SN

10. ^^^^This^^^^Bad thing is a lot of my friends have pretty ratty cars and it would probably piss them off if we didn't let them in. Rats are at every show nowdays anyway, so what the Hell, I guess they are like cockroaches, them and rat rodz will be the only survivors aft "The Bomb" drops.

11. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Rat rods are only at the shows where the organizers say "what the hell" and let them in. They don't have to be at every show, but it takes a clear set of criteria and a gate crew who know what to look for. It also takes a clear definition of what type of "ratty" cars you are trying to keep out. It's hard to explain, but the common 2013 definition of a rat rod is not the same as most hamb-er's definition. The lines have blurred between wildly ornate poorly proportioned cars (that have wrenches for door handles and 55-gallon drums for grille shells) and survivor unpainted traditional styled hot rods that have good proportions and a nice stance. Most people just dont know the difference.

There is one show (definitely not in Texas) that has the clearest criteria and has succeeded in keeping out rat rods and educating the attendees the past few years. I know for a fact that people have built cars using the inspection criteria as a guide, specifically to bring to the show. Every year at the gate, spectators bring pictures of cars to the gate keeper asking if it would qualify for entrance. Every year, spectators and car owners alike stand at the gate watching the gate keepers inspect cars. They will ask, "so that car didn't get in because of the rally wheels right". They are learning, they read the web site, they ask questions. They know that we do not allow Torque Thrust IIs, or raised white letter tires, or that a "themed" approach when building a car will likely get you kept out. This show gets 300 cars allowed in that meet all the criter and another 200 that do not.

It can be done. it is being done. All the "traditional" shows I have seen in Texas and other states have regressed to the point of "what the hell" and it's sad.

12. Fenders

Fenders

Hey I just re-read post #1.... MOTOCYCLE ?
    Yup I love Indians too :D

13. I just had a thought-after breakfast, we could cruise down the dyke and back then hit the show. They re-did it really nice after Hurricane Ike.

14. 1954fordcoupe

1954fordcoupe

Oh crap! My 31 has been labeled as a rat rod by some. Would hate to confuse your guys at the gate. Oh well guess I could come as a spectator.

15. Fenders

Fenders

I'd like to be there if it weren't so far but couldn't get my avatar coupe in, I pulled the rear axle off a S-10 Blazer wheels and all, the tires are still those that came on it with raised white letters, saving money and getting new tires this spring but WTF that would keep me out?

No wonder I don't go to shows.

16. Jimm56

Jimm56

BTT for oiltown.

17. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

It would absolutely keep you out of the show I am talking about. Keep in mind that I am not talking about Sam's show, or any other show in Texas that I know of.

18. Fenders

Fenders

Well I guess the reason I don't go to shows is cause I can't get in ... :D

19. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I'll take ya either as a spectator or as a participant buddy! Lol Brang it!

SN

20. Jeff.....why dont you just stay in San Antonio.

Get off the Rat Rod thing. What makes your car any better than anyone elses ?

I built and still have a 32 Roadster that won "BEST PRE 49 car" at the 75th Anniversary of the Deuce at a ISCA Autorama and featured in Hot Rodding magazine. I also restored a 65 Falcon my grandmother bought new that is pristine, as well as a super cool 32 Coupe . Oh yeah... I also have a Rusty 32 truck (Rat Rod ?) that I absolutely love. It is the most fun to drive, vintage 6 carb set up, hard to find Magnesium Spindal Mount fronts, halibrand magnesium rears with slicks and Muncie 4 speed and runs like a scalded dog.

Been to the Revolution in it , has been featured in Rod and Kulture magazine and driving it to the Roundup next week.

So....I have several cars in my stable, Does driving a Rat Rod as you call it make me a Cockroach, or get access to parking by a dumpster as you and Richard mention ? Really ?

I enjoy cars, live music and having a good time. Wrote the date in my calendar and was going to tell my buddies.......who all have very nice rods, then read what these 2 had to say.

Sam.....this is "your" show and your call.

V

21. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Funny part about the "Rat Rod" word to me is that folks have a different meaning for it all the time. I do not care for Iron Crosses, 400 skulls, cars that are litterally dangerous driving down the road because some guy wants to put zero effort into a vehicle besides tack welding every sharp pieces of metal that come off ass he is driving down the hwy on his car. I was riding behind a truck like this last year on my way to Roundup that the bed was literally held on by ONE sheet metal screw and the guy was hauling ass down the hwy. To me it is dangerous & I dont like the thought of parking/driving my car that I have put many hours & dollars into around that.

Long story short here you go:

The Lone Star Deluxe car show is open to ALL "Pre-1972" cars, trucks & motorcycles. I want this to be a show where folks that enjoy all makes/models/styles of vehicles can come out with thier families for an afternoon out. The parking is all going to be on the same street, we are not sectioning off anyone so that everyone can have a good time. This event was born on the idea of celebrating all things hot rod influenced (Music, Clothing, Pin-Ups, Art, Cars) etc....

I came to be a little more open after I met this dude last week at a show that was driving what I considered a "Rat Rod" he was a stand up dude & just because I didn't care for his style doesnt mean he should not be allowed to join in the fun. I still dont care for the skulls, iron crosses etc but apparently some do so I spoke with my other investors & we want it to be open.

I hate to think that this will piss people off enough not to attend my show because I am allowing the evil "Rat Rods" in but at the end of the day I just want folks to have fun. Some of the most succesful & fun shows around have TONS of these cars around & folks dont seem to mind so I wont either.

I hope to see the local HAMB community out there to show some support & like I said I am working on something for the HAMB'rs that do make it out.

Cheers,
    SN

22. Thanks Sam.

" At the end of the day , I Just want folks to have fun".

Well Said.

V

23. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Our friends at O'reillys in Texas City just signed up for a sponsor for my show & they are even planning to donate a badass car care package for the "Best of Show" winner....... I will post pics of the trophy once it is finished.

Cheers,
    SN

24. Hey Sam, just do it your way. Like I tell my striping customers, if you can tell me how to stripe it then here's the brush go do it yourself.

Growing up with a real rebellious, ass kicking, 6'4" Dad who was striping, punching louvers, spraying panel paintjobs in his driveway, building hot rods, racing the streets of Houston and hangin out at Prince's, we never were prejudiced against any one style of car. He always said you do your do and I do my do and we all just do-do. He taught me to appreciate all rides as we do each other as humans., Some of us are really handsome and others are fat rods.

Let's respect each others' idea of a fun car (as long as it is safe), keep this hobby fun and quit being prejudiced. Because when you get down to it we all use the bathroom just like the next guy.

Now go have fun. Leave car show politics for indoor shows, concours restos and the NSRA.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What I can't figure out is, 'Why is it so hard to walk past a car that doesn't appeal to you?" If you don't like rat rods or anything else, walk on. It's foolish bickering that's kept me from a lot of local gatherings.

26. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

^^^^^what he said....thanks Sam for your hard work

27. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Guys- The team & I are working like crazy to bring a great event to the area, hopefully you guys can help me make this event a success!

Thanks,
    SN

28. aldixie

aldixie

Hi Sam,
    Got the new engine in my car. It looks like I may make the show. Waiting on an engine harness and fuel return sender.

29. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Awesome to hear Alex!!! Hope your lovely wife & you can make it out, are you two heading to Roundup next week?

SN

30. aldixie

aldixie

Yes we will be at Roundup as always. Heading there Friday morning.