Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quality 32 glass body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scibjenkins, Mar 21, 2013.

1. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I'll start off by saying, YES I would rather have steel, NO I cannot afford that...

So I'm looking into possibly getting a 32 Ford glass 5 window body. My plan is to finish my current project, sell it and have plenty of money to buy a nice body that I should not have to mess with a whole lot. I'm really impressed with what New Age Motorsports has to offer. Having original style drip rails, and options for working cowl vent, mechanical window regulators, real (aftermarket) windshield, rear window regulator, stock type door handles, stock type hinges, all installed, and stock or 3" chop.

Does anyone know they are still in business? Since in my research, I've noticed companies that make glass bodies come and go.

Does anyone know of a company on the west coast that offers these kind of options on a glass 32 body? I would imagine shipping from Connecticut is going to be a killer.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. don't know if they are still around , but i looked at one a few years ago and looked like a quality body

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They don't show a 5 window so you would have to suffer though with a three window but Wescott is the company that other glass body companies try to compare themselves to most of the time.
    http://www.wescottsauto.com/WebCatalog/B-Body/B16-19-3WindowCoupe.pdf
    I've got a friend here in town who has had one of their Phaeton bodies for over 30 years and it still looks as good as the first time I ever saw it in the late 70's

In 1998 I had a big thing for a Glass 32 coupe body and looked at all the offerings that were at Plesanton that year and there were a lot of them then. If you can make it to a Goodguys show just to hit the glass body vendors and check, feel and ask it will be well worth your time if you are hunting a glass body. They usually will talk some real deals by Sunday afternoon if you have the finances to do it then available and a way to haul it home then and there.

4. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Gee whiz! Wescott is almost as much as a Brookeville! I keep hearing that "you get what you pay for" is abundantly true when it comes to buying a glass body.

5. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

"They don't show a 5 window so you would have to suffer though with a three window but Wescott is the company that other glass body companies try to compare themselves to most of the time." Mr48Chev

I was looking at the site here

http://www.newage-motorsports.com/custom.htm

6. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I would call them but I've had this dam cold for about a week, my voice is completely blown out.

7. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

www.hotrodit.com They have a nice product and very friendly. And stand behind there product. East coast though.I bought a truck from them, no issues.

8. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I haven't been up there in a while, but I did check them out a few years ago and it was a really nice body,I believe they bought the molds from Flatlanders if memory serves me correctly

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I've looked them up before, I had to dig for hours to find one review. They couldn't say enough bad things about the company. So I'm steering clear of them. Although that price is mighty tempting, it sounds like way more trouble than I'm willing to dive into.

11. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Now this looks promising, thank you for sharing! I like the option for rumble seat. No 5 window and not as accurate, but cheaper... that seems to be a common trend.

12. ken1939

ken1939

Cost and quality are factors. Also today you have choices if you are good with your hands. I know a few builders local that sell the bodys unreinforced for decent prices. Cains Hotrods in Fredonia NY, just below Dunkirk had a five window chopped on Ebay for $3400. I see a few on Craigslist with or without windows for similar prices.

Shop around. Not to mention you may find a deal on something on craigslist that someone lost interest. Good buys that way.

13. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

As far as i know new age still makes the 5 window, i have one of there roadster bodies and i couldnt be happier with it. A guy out here has one of the 5 windows and its hard to tell the difference when looking at it.

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

The Flatlanders body's where really nice, and I see that New Age Motorsports purchased the molds, so that's who I would go with.

I'd bet that there are at least a few guys here on the HAMB that have one.

15. zoomma

zoomma

I have one of their 3 window bodies and I am very happy with it.
    I liked the idea that you could get all the traditional parts [ crank up back window,
    cowl vent, door hinges].
    The NSRA Safety Rep. has one of their 5 window bodies and I know that he was very satisfied with the quality of the body.

16. New Age would be my first choice followed by Kilborne and Downs. There are others but none are cheap. Those that you have to hang the doors on need to be avoided unless you are really exp. with fab work.

17. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Speedway has '32 3 windows but they're $8k + shipping. You could buy a whole car for that...

18. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

Something tells me you're gonna get some questions about that one.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  19. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

I built several glass cars while at a shop in Tn. Best I've seen was A Redneck body. That being said Bebops are decent bodies for a lot less money.

20. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I'm thinking at this point, I'm just going to save my pennies for a 5 window from New Age. If I'm going to do it, I'm gonna do it right.

I've also been looking at Kiwi Konnections frames. $1,800 for front, rear and x member tig welded. That's a smokin' deal! Has anyone here bought frames them before?

21. remi

remi
    from nb, canada

rod action makes real nice bodies.

22. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

:) Reasonably build or buy a car for that much...I'm sure you could find a metal or glass body on here or somewhere for less than that. Rat.Racer isn't an admission of building an unsafe vehicle, just a name and a personal mind set from when I worked on aircraft/motorcycles.

23. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

What kind of car??? Not a 32.

25. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

I had a NEW AGE and it was very nice. The only one with a driprail. $12,000.

26. sid pileski

sid pileski

I have one of there 5W bodies.
    I've had it for about 6 years now. In general, I am happy with it.
    However, It was one of their first bodies. Ed (owner) had a partner (long gone now) that was doing layup. He was not the greatest, and the body had issues. Ed stood behind it and fixed what they could, but some things were just wrong from the start. I had to bring the body back to them. I've seen more recent bodies and I can see the improvements. I was so excited to get my new body that I really didn't look it over as well as I should have, so keep that in mind regardless of who you end up with.
    Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

27. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Sid, your ride looks fantastic. Does your windsheild swing out?

28. sid pileski

sid pileski

No, that was another thing. I got a frame from them, but it did not fit right. I'm not sure what happened with that, but I ended up with the rubber molding and gluing in the windshield.

Sid

29. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I know redneck bodies will build your body on your frame, so there isnt any shimming the body to frame later on. I'm in ks, so a short drive to Missouri will be worth it to drop off my chassis for them.