Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Wood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rat.Racer, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Does anyone have the PDF for Model A Wood. The link on the Model A page to voodootats.com doesn't work. I'm specificially looking for the patterns for a '30 pickup. Thanks.

2. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

30 Tudors too?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. Badmoonreizen

Badmoonreizen
    from Howell, MI

4. 5window

5window

Ask on the Fordbarn

5. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Well, I searched FordBarn and another AA website and it seems that noone has a pattern. The closest I've gotten is a guy on FordBarn named partridgekelley that said he had a pattern for a 28/29 pickup. Which doesn't help me for a '30. So, who knows? I wonder if there is a return policy on wood kits to just buy one, trace them all out and then return the kit?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  6. badshifter

badshifter

Did you really just post that?
    That's fucked up on many levels. Being on a budget is one thing, but screwing someone because you're cheap is bullshit.

7. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Why couldn't you find a picture of the wood frame in the truck and then compare the picture to your truck body make cardboard patterns and transfer to wood cut and install? This is my plan if incant find a pattern any where. There is no sense in screwing someone else because your cheap

8. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

How is that screwing someone? You've never bought something decided you didn't like it and returned it to the company? Same Same, only I'm going to trace the pieces on a piece of paper before I send it back. I'm not going to turn around and sell it or anything. How is it different from someone taking the wood off their car/truck and tracing it to sell the plans online, you could say that's messed up because then consumers don't have to buy a $500 kit from a company. I'm such a terrible person, this whole website is based off of this concept. I bought this, this is how I did it, here are the dimensions and a how to do it, so you don't have to go out and buy it...Oh, and it's called tact...

9. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

10. Speed~On

Speed~On

If you need the entire wood kit, you may find that it's easier and less time consuming to purchase and install a wood kit from Mac or Snyders. I know we are all on a budget but once you see the wood kit, you'll be happy you chose to order one. They fit correctly and you'll immediatly notice a major increase in sturdiness in your cab.

My friend and I cut 1 piece of wood from a 2x4 for the bottom of the rear window becasue the original piece was broke. We had the original piece of wood to use as a template as well as the correct tools and it took us a while to get all the curves right. If you have to make an entire wood kit, you may be at it a while.

Which ever route you choose, good luck and post some photos when you're finished. Not sure if others varnish theirs but I did.

11. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Thanks for the productive input. I think a lot of people say just buy a kit but don't really give an explination. Thanks. I was also tossing around the idea of some kind of metal bar across the top to strengthen things up. I appreciate the feedback and I'll keep that in mind.

12. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

Not the same. If the product wasn't right, or you just didn't want/need it, sending it back is fine. You have told the group that you would trace the plans (or parts) THEN send them back. That is stealing.

13. TurboX2

TurboX2

I just received my coupe wood (6 week wait) and you can not build it for the price that you can buy it for! And tracing a few pieces maybe but, the header will have to be 3D drawing.

14. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

No worries, thanks for the feedback. There are a few new options available to me now that I hadn't picked up on in posts before, so hopefully others will check this thread and learn from it too.

15. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Thanks, as you can see from my avatar, there doesn't seem to be too much wood left. But, maybe I'll try to try and if it works great, I'll post pictures, if it doesn't, I'll post pictures and then go buy the right stuff or think of something else. Do you have a build thread for your wood install?

16. I have to make up some wood for a 30 tudor at some point also. It is hard to believe the price of the wood kits but they do have alot of notches, curves and angles and wood (good wood) ain't cheep. So I guess it is not too bad all things considered. Did you do a search on this site? not too long ago there was a thread about this... don't know how it ended up.

17. if you want to make you own wood more power to you. find your own source for patterns and do it. but getting a wood kit just to return it isn't fair , the maker has costs associated in producing and marketing the product that won't get paid for if you just borrow them for a little while. that's why many places have a restocking fee

when you return the wood kit will it be as new? all put back in the box as it was when you received it ? no greasy finger prints? the box ok and resell-able as new?

i work part time at a national auto part chain and i've been told that 20% of transactions are returns. do you think that has to be factored into the selling price? i'm constantly amazed by people trying to return greasy parts they installed and decided they really didn't need. usually in a greasy box that has been all ripped up. then i'm the asshole

but that's ok....we will just pass the cost onto the next guy

18. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

I initially came across the thread in the Model A group but the link to a PDF didn't work. I got tired of waiting on an answer there so I posted it on the big board to see if I could get some advice. I feel for you, I only have a few pieces of wood for a pickup, I'm sure the wood kit for a tudor is astronomical. I e-mailed some old school builders to see if they may have any diagrams or anything buried in their libraries. I'll definitely pass the information on if I can find anyting out. But, like has already been said by you and others, it may be easier to just buy it or find a different way to strengthen the structure. I personally like the open top with the wood, but before I wanted wood I saw a guy do it with metal bars, which could be cheaper. But, I looked and haven't seen any real plans anywhere.

19. Mark Karger

Mark Karger
    from houston TX

It is stealing! The person( or persons) have time & a LOT of labor setting up their patterns. That is the reason you won't find "blue prints" of the pieces for sale. After every hurricane I see people returning generators to Costco, claiming they are not functioning properly. There is nothing wrong with them. But Costco has a policy of accepting all returns. Down loading music for free without permission is the same thing, STEALING.

20. Kinky6

Kinky6

O.K., you've gotten some drubbing over this, and with good cause.

If you're not up to making your own wood kit from measuring your cab, try this: Buy the kit, trace, copy, measure, etc. to your hearts content, then SELL the kit to someone else ( here, eBay, Fordbarn ). That way, the vendor gets their price for it, you get most of your money back, and someone else gets a slight bargain on it. Better karma that way.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

21. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Thanks for the feedback and your opinion. Like I said before, it was a question and I've gotten a lot of different options to solve the wood crisis. I can agree with a restocking fee and would pay it and return the product like it came to me. If it was in disrepair after I messed with it, then I would keep it. My only thought about buying and returning is that I compared it to people using someone elses patterns etc like is done on the HAMB all of the time. Technically, you're still benefiting for cheaper off of someone elses hard work and costs associated with the product and the time and money they used to buy or manufacture it. Hopefully, the folks at home are keeping up and don't make this a ten page thread on something that has been cleared up already.

22. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

From what I've seen you can get blue prints from some company based off of the original Ford blue prints for wood, I don't know if they're for sale or if they just give them away currently, but that's a different story. Unfortunately, I'm not returning generators and being dishonest about it, or downloading music which I don't think you can return. I'm asking questions on HAMB to find out the best course of action for a project. Do you have wood kits in any of your vehicles? I'd like this to be a thread about wood kits, not reverse engineering and product returns or stealing. But I appreciate you checking out my post.

23. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Thanks Kinky6, always love to hear options and that is a good one for the do it yourself wood kit maker. That's better than taking without permission with the intent of not returning (stealing) which wasn't my intent to start.

24. just curious...how much are the wood kits for you `30 A pickup? it's been a long time since i have bought wood for an A

i believe the top and body wood kits for my `28 tudor was about $450 total for both? that was in 1995

25. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Obviously the price varies, I tend to go through Bratton's Antique Auto Parts and I would say around $300 + shipping if I'm reading the pricing guide right from them, probably more through others. But, I wanted to see if I could make it myself. The thread took a hard right and we got away from the original question of anyone having blue prints or anything for the HAMBers out there that want to go that route.

26. TurboX2

TurboX2

27. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

28. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Here's a cool little bit of information I learned today on replacing wood and wood kits.

Body wood kits range from bad to acceptable. There were always minute differences in the originals. the metal was fitted to the wood. When you replace the wood you are basically doing it backwards. Pretty tricky.

29. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Doing it backwards. I never knew that. I want to make my own wood kit because I've got a hell of a lot more time then spending money. I'm up for a good challenge too. Let us know how you do and what route you take ill be interested in seeing the final product. Good luck

30. 5window

5window

Buy your kit from Mac's then pick it up at the York NSRA show in June -no charge for shipping. You can probably find a little something to do on it until then.