Register now to get rid of these ads!

454 marine engine into 55' Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalturk1, Mar 19, 2013.

1. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I bought a 55' Chevy without a drive-train recently.
    While looking for a big block in Craigslist I came across a 454 about 1/2 hour from my home. The seller installed a diesel in his freshwater boat, and wanted to sell his 454 for $1,700. He said it would work fine in a car. He said it has 330 Horsepower and the cranking pressure was 180 lbs. in each cylinder (180 Sounds high). I'm figuring that the exhaust manifolds, water pump, Carb, Camshaft and distributor would need replacing. I want torque for the street, not horsepower and thought this may be a good deal. Would the back of the crankshaft need to be modified to work with a TH350 or 400? I'm told the water passages are different, also no heater hose attachment .
    Any "Boat people" out there (No wetbacks)?

2. I think carb,cam,dist would allll be good!Crank should be fine,I am not 100% but 99.999% sure....dump that puppy in and let it eat!

3. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

The intake is specific to a boat to take into account the extreme rearward angles boats experience upon takeoff. Will run on the street but, not optimal.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rudder will not be as effective for steering, in the air, as it was, in the water.

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

LOL....but you can set the trim tabs and take your hands off of the controls.

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

seems about 500 too much---will need to change very little....

7. aaggie

aaggie

Some marine engines are reverse rotation, if this one is you will need to change things like camshaft and starter. If it came out of a single engine boat it should be OK.

8. Roupe

Roupe

Some marine engines are reverse rotation. Make sure this one isn't.

9. Roupe

Roupe

aaggie, you type faster than me.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Simple fix ;), if the 55 still has the stock rear end in it, just flip the pumkin 180* on the housing. :eek::D

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

454's are EXTERNALLY balanced, so be sure you get the correct flexplate/flywheel. The rotational thing has already been covered. IF it's a one piece rear main seal block, those take yet another specific flexplate/flywheel. Recheck the compression; he may not have done it correctly. Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. jfortvalley

jfortvalley
    from GA

the water pump might be different and the cam shafts are set up a little different for a boat also make sure the fuel pump isnt blocked off if you intend to use mechanical also look at the exhaust side of the heads really well as they will rust out due to being in a boat from water cooled exhaust . another thing i have run into is make sure the water jackets are clean ive had boat motors transplanted into cars overheat because the motors would be full of sand or rusted out and the big blocks i dont recall seeing them ever be reverse rotation but i might be wrong

13. biscaynes

biscaynes

weren't some marine engines also 'tall deck'?

14. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Yes and some were 8.1's which are a really different BBC's:eek:

15. slimpick

slimpick

180 psi is possible - it's the cam - no overlap torque cam

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Are they getting that kind of money in Florida for a BBC 454? I see them in great running condition around my area for about $500, and recently bought a low mileage '83 454 for that price complete with all pulleys, starter, alternator, brackets, etc. Plus the radiator from the same truck.
    I'd be a bit concerned about how much salt water the engine saw during it's life, plus rotation, and also what generation it is.

17. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Thanks for the advice & Comments....Regarding: "Marine 454"
    Maybe I'll hold off on that marine engine for a while (It's been for sale for 2 months). If anyone has a Big-Block for sale nearby, I'd consider buying it. Funny, 1 week after buying the 55', we (Finally) sold our house, so if I locate a power-train soon, I'll install it before we head up the road 200 miles to a rental (For 6 months). A turbo 400 will be another item I'll be looking for, even though I'd like an overdrive (But I don't want a computer or the price to pay to buy the changeover kit). I know that the TH200 is w/o computer, but I don't think it'll handle big- block power.

18. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Answer is MARINE, about like corvette part no. etc.. just the intended use adds to the price. Even tho they are just a truck engine with better gaskets.
    These usually have much fewer operating hours than a used truck engine.

Stated it is a fresh water engine, single engine would be std rotation.

19. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

This may be why has been for sale for 2 months . . . . .

There are plenty of marine big blocks that have been put into cars, should not be a problem, just got to find the right one.

Take care, K

20. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Marine engines use to have forged internals, that's one reason why they're more expensive.

21. cakes

cakes

It may have a steel crank and 7/16 rods most marine engines do and 4 bolt mains, and depending on what heads it has, as long as they arn't peanut ports I feel like it is worth that money. If it has the junk heads be prepared to only make about 400hp max or pony up another g minimum for a decent set . go check it out at least

22. cavman

cavman

If the orig Marine intake is still on it, it will have brass lined water passages to combat salt water corrosion. It won't hurt it. Most marine engines were good stuff to begine with, and then made better.

23. i have my 454/TH400 complete with all the acc for sale for 800.00 in cali and have not got any response on it so i do not see him getting anywhere near the price he is asking.

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

25. TurboX2

TurboX2

Being as the owner of this motor pulled it to install a diesel motor then all the acc. are still on the motor. Manifolds,power steering pump,brackets,lines ETC. and they will sell for that price. Most are Mercruiser units and those acc. are not cheap. Keep looking for a motor and you will find one cheaper. On the transmission I would spend the money and buy a built unit fresh the first time. You will be glad you did!

26. Those 330hp 454's have all cast crank, pistons and penut port heads. They are the less desirable big blocks even for a boat, that's why it's probly been for sale for 2 months. If you find a 365hp 454 "mag" motor they have all forged internals.