Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, Mar 21, 2013.

1. At the risk of starting some sort of sh&t storm, (I went to search, a couple of big arguments there) I have a couple of questions.
    My 47 had been setting for almost a decade with very little driving time before I got it. I intend to put it up on stands in the fall and doing a proper brake job. But in the meantime, I'd like to drive it this summer, and I'm wanting to flush the brake system.
    I'm hearing everything from "if you flush that old system it will leak like a sieve" to do it, you won't regret it.
    The brakes feel fine, if a little stiff, stops in a dead straight line. But here's the deal. sometimes, when I drive to the store, and I'm back in 10 minutes or so, the brakes feel as if the master cylinder isn't releasing. A couple quick jabs on the brake pedal will usually loosen the system up, but I know sumpin' ain't right!

I've learned more from the HAMB about old mechanical systems than anywhere else. This is my classroom, so I'm asking two questions. 1 what is happening with my master cylinder, and 2 will flushing do more harm than good? Thanks, guys. Mike

2. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Rust and crap in the master/system. Been there..

3. Probably sticking, lube up everything mechanical, look it over good too. Personally I'd replace all hydraulic items in something that was sitting for a decade.

Bob

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why wait till fall? You're just putting something off that needs attention now. Some vehicle history may be helpful, but the problem could be a bad hose(s), faulty master, stuck wheel cylinder(s), etc etc. Flushing isn't going to cure or fix a faulty part. A careful inspection of the entire system is in order, then repair/replace/rebuild worn or shot parts. :)

5. carkiller

carkiller

Do the brakes now. $300.00 worth of parts is cheap insurance for you and the one you may hit.Cal

6. Willy301

Willy301

My off topic vehicle was acting similar and it turned out a caliper was sticking. It develops a rust ring from extended sitting and needs to be attended to. It does not get better and go away without a thorough cleaning/rust removal, or outright replacement. I would get the new brakes sooner rather than later.

7. OK guys you are telling me what that voice in my head keeps saying.
    It's no fun worrying about hitting someone.
    I'll start my research.
    If I put it on stands and do brakes, I'm thinking seriously about discs up front. They don't cost much more than a top shelf re-do on the old drum setup, and I end up with a dual cylinder. Speedway has a kit that allows me to keep my front wheels, and looks pretty straightforward.
    I intend to keep the stock front suspension, but the idea of discs appeals to me.
    What ever I do, there won't be any rebuilt wheel cylinders, or master cylinders. The new parts aren't that much more expensive.
    Three prerequisites; safety first, dependability next, then comfort. Above all, safety.