Register now to get rid of these ads!

35 chevy master build progress/ pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stick6coupe, Jan 20, 2013.

1. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

Decided to build my own rear suspension out of some A body GM parts since pops has a shop full of em, and slap a pair of old carrera coilovers on it. Really wanted a drop axle front, but the old man had the vette setup 80% done when he gave the car up, so decided to keep it. Im not a stranger to "build it don't buy it", but this is my first suspension design/build, so if you guys see any design flaws like gusseting, weld issues, etc... please speak up. Keep in mind it's only being powered by a hopped up little 250 inch inline, 4 speed, and street rubber, but it WILL see a ton of street miles and a few dragstrip beatdowns.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lawman

lawman

Nice start !!!Please keep posting.

3. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

thanks man.
    Another Sunday got me this far: finish welded, frame, rear end, control arms painted, all suspension and rack installed. Gotta spend some time with the family now or ill be livin' in this car ha.
    [​IMG]

4. Another old Chevy getting back on the road. Good luck with your build.

5. What Tom said ^^^^^^^^ Keep us posted

6. Master of None

Master of None

Looks like you got a real nice start, and a solid body to boot. Was this a previous rod? Most early Chevy's in my area don't have much wood left in them and he body isn't too far behind!

7. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

Lookin' good. Keep the updates coming.

8. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

Thanks guys. Yes this was a previous rod, built by my father in the early 70s, run til the late 80s, torn down for suspension/drivetrain upgrade and never finished. Cool story- the car belonged to his sunday school teacher- he remembers being 5 and 6 years old, seeing her drive past the house in it. When she died, her son was going to rod it, lost interest, and was taking it to the scrap yard, pops flagged him down en route and bought it for 100 bucks or so IIRC. He missed the entire drivetrain by a few days.
    The only rust is on the bottom of one door, the wood is very solid except for the door hinge area, which is being fixed. Yep, I have the fenders and running boards too- theyll probably end up back on there someday ha.

9. jesse1980

jesse1980

I wish I had a shop like that to work in. Nice work, looks like it will be a bad a$$ car!

10. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

11. Chubbs1955

Chubbs1955

Info on the suspension? I to am building a 35, but mine is a 3 window.

12. killbilly

killbilly

Very nice,man,good work! Check out my buddy's 38 in his album....mrlarryone on here

13. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

Chubbs- rear suspension was a breeze- its all chevelle parts, including the rearend, with an old set of carrera coilovers. (Pops has a TON of GM A body junk laying around) A couple days fabbing crossmembers and control arm mounts and she was done. The front is '90 corvette, with a crossmember and kit from progressive automotive. This was something pops started on (it wouldve been a straight axle if I did it) so I left it in there. IIRC, at the time, progressive did not make a kit for the chevy master- something to do with fender bracing interference, frame, etc...not sure if maybe they do now. I believe he picked up a 34 Ford kit and cut it up to fit. Take a peek on their website, theyre still around and they have a ton of stuff, priced decent.
    Got pics of that 35?

14. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

3 hours with the buffer, found dads paint job from 1975 under the dirt and overspray, still in incredible condition, with a few scratches, dings, and patina- perfect. No hotrod black- the forest green metallic enamel with Del-clear stays, as-is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Wow still has some shine after all these years, looks great!

16. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

Update, with a few pics skipped. 3 pedals hangin, clutch and shift linkage done, brakes done and bled, body on and floor pieces installed- even scrounged some old rally wheels and tires for the time being. Been humpin it good every spare minute- all thats lacking for a shakedown blast around the parking lot is tossing the gas tank in and finishing up the rad support brackets. Hope to have her tagged by the end of March. Not bad for a 3 month build, eh?
    Thanks for all the good comments, fellas!
    [​IMG]

17. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

Holding down a full time job, running a part time business, and keeping the family happy wasn't easy, but here she is, fellas- from a bare frame and body in 2 months. Shes a rollin' and drives flawless![​IMG]

18. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

What is centerline for frt suspension from say frt body bolt or what did you measure from.I have a 35 Standard that I just got and need to set up frt end had a Corvair frt end started but I sold the Corvair frt end now will search for Corvette frt since it has a Corvette rear

19. 2 Months, Wow nice job! Keep us posted on any updates or videos of it going down the road.
    Tom

20. C-cab dreamer

C-cab dreamer

Well Stick6, I have to say that is one heck of an accomplishment. Sure does look most excellent. Very fortunate to find such a terrific body to begin with.

Have you done anything with the interior yet? Or was it already in good condition?

I'm sure lots of us would love to see some more pics if you get the chance...thanks in advance.

21. C-cab dreamer

C-cab dreamer

Hey Flat, how about starting a thread on your '35? I hate to hijack this thread.

I'll be starting on my '35 pretty soon using a Heidt's front end.

Why not just measure the original wheelbase from the rear axle, I think that should work. The Standard and Master had different w/b for '35 IIRC.

22. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Well this guy I bought it from had just started putting a Corvair frt end and did not even finish bolting it up so it and the Corvette rear end was just hanging by 1 bolt each.He had started it years ago and just quit.I seen a thread somewhere here the pics of a factory frame demin.Can't remember where I seen it that is what i'm after but if I can get measurement from frt body bolt or something that will do Thanks.

23. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

Thanks fellas, im running the wheels off her and having a blast! Flatmotor- dad originally had a corvair front end in it, then swapped to the vette setup and had it tacked in when I took over. I can get a true measurement if you need one, but not sure if std and master would be the same? Hell im not even sure how the old man did it but it worked. C cab, dad had a decent interior installed but the mice got to the headliner and age got to the door panels- right now im rolling with the original recovered bench seat and a holy headliner. Kinda diggin the no door panel look to show off the mostly original woodwork. Ill throw a carpet in eventually but thatll be about it.

24. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

Here she sits, complete, with a fresh set of brockman steel packs side by side. I also swapped out the crane 260h cam for a schneider 214/222, .490/.490 cam and love it, she counts em off nice and picked up some grunt.[​IMG]

25. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

...and a short ride:)
    [​IMG]

26. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

...and an idle clip. love that schneider grind and the brockmans!
    [​IMG]

27. Looks good and sounds good...Great ride!!!!!!

28. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

thank ya Moose. Counting the days down this way for Steel in Motion, thatll be the first big debut for her. And oh yeah, she will make a few passes down the strip for sure.

29. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Sweet!!! Can't wait to see it!!!

30. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I sold the corvair frt end so I'm going to do the mII or corvette frt end but what year corvette did he use.I can get crossmember from Speedway by itself but it will be a while till I start on it because I have to finish the Monte Carlo I started a year or so ago.Ready to paint and put back together but would now start searching for frt end parts