Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leave it or Prime it? What's better?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cmarcus, Mar 20, 2013.

1. cmarcus

cmarcus

So, as I look at my car sitting in the garage, I can't help but think about leaving the car in the original paint (which is rough, flaking up in areas, faded, etc, couple dents) or to knock it down, attempt to fix a few of the dents, and prime it.

I am wondering, will the car be more valuble to a future buyer if it is more asthetically pleasing, in solid primer, and knowing it is a solid car...

-OR-

...is it better off to leave "as is" so a future buyer can see for themselves it is an unmolested vehicle, regardless of how it looks?

What do you guys think? What would you prefer to see?

2. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

I'd leave it bare if your planning on selling it

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

Honestly I always liked painted glossy cars but as I've gotten a little older I appreciate original. I like car thats mechanically sound with original body/paint. Dents and dings add character, the car earned them. Just my 2 cents.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That would depend on how good you are at recouping paint and body cost. Personally, I'd pay extra or be attracted to a straight car in primer, than a car painted a color I didn't like. So, straighten it, prime it, THEN sell it. Should move quick.

5. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

I' d leave it bare also.

6. Personally, I’d rather buy a car with the original paint on it a few dents, a little rust etc. I’ve seen too many cars that have questionable body work hidden under a coat of primer and/or new paint that look good a first but end up needing a lot of work to re-do all the hack body work. Not saying that is what your going to do, but I’d rather be able to see what I’m getting.

7. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

It depends on what the original paint looks like.

Post pictures please

8. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

this has come up in conversation w freinds.

i love original patina,... if it's true original..., so you can 'see' what is really going on.

when i see a primer job, id like to see the dents and weld scars so i know whats actually under there.

and a documentation is always a plus. photos and such.

but when it comes down to it; a coat of primer does not make it more valuable.

if its parked outside and preservation is an issue, then by all means prime it.!.!.!

i still know nothing.

9. slammed

slammed

10. BOHICA

BOHICA

Leave it. I don't think it's an issue with epoxy primer, but regular primer is porous and will hold moisture in. I also agree with others that, in addition to the aesthetics, I'd much rather see a car in its original glory to get a better grasp of what shape it's in. I'm always suspicious of new paint jobs as well for this reason.

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

No way to tell without pictures.

12. randy

randy

I wouldn't buy a car in primer unless it were accompanied by a zillion pictures of it before mud/paint. If you're planning on selling soon, leave it in original paint.

13. indyjps

indyjps

Original paint, if its really rough you could tint some epoxy primer to a close match and blend in those areas to protect the car. I agree with lots of pix of repaired areas if you're trying to sell it. I steer away from fresh primer jobs as well, figure its hiding something and plan on going back to bare metal anyway.

14. BarryA

BarryA

Another vote for leave it alone (or do full paint) - unless I personally know and can vouch for the person who did the work, first thing I do with a "primer-and-bodywork-done-just-needs-paint" car is strip it and have a chuckle at all the shit they tried to cover up before losing interest. Sad but true

You could always strike a deal to do the work for the new owner...

15. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

primer makes me question......what's under there?