Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions on "lubing" wheel studs???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

i actually put a drop of blue Locktite on studs to prevent the nuts from working loose. is that a bad idea?

2. ^^^^^This is WORD! Do Not Stray!

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wheel studs or bolts should be clean and dry, and torqued to the proper spec. No oil, grease, anti-seize, Locktite, etc. :)

4. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

If you want to use Anti-Sieze do this, mock up a lug bolt in vise with washers to the correct thickness of hub and wheel, torque to spec clean and dry, use a micrometer and measure bolt stretch.

Use anti-seize and re-torque slowly in steps until you get the same stretch.

That will be the correct torque to use with your anti-seize.

Now everyone is happy, I think....

Just don't lose a wheel and wreck, which you probably won't, but you will be guilty of negligence (maybe)

5. countrytravler

countrytravler

I own 2-10 car haulers. With 1 million miles on both trucks, I lube the studs all the time with no ill effects. Never been shut down by D.O.T. Based out of Ca. to. Also lube all bolts when rebuilding engine including big diesel engines with no problems.

6. tjm73

tjm73

Here in the rust belt, if you don't put a little anti-sieze on the studs, you might have a real bitch of time getting the nuts off after a winter or two.

7. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

ive never had 'clean dry studs' on any car ive ever worked on.

i always put a dab of grease or oil on them to keep them maintained.

the only time ive experienced lug nuts loosening was with aluminum rims.

good practice is to occasionaly retorque lug nuts......

ive only put neverseize on hubs, to keep the disks/rotors from getting stuck.

i know nothing.

8. GregCT.

GregCT.
    from CT.

"a little dab will do ya" My pet peeve is trailer tires with no hubcaps. Never-sieze them babies or break studs later gettin em off on the side of the road with trailer trucks wizzing by at 85 mph, in the dark, with a driving rain .......

9. That reads well. I do the same here in desert- type country. Light coat of grease, never had a problem. Don't like air wrenches, tease mine up by hand, with fussy attention.

This has been our practise for 60+ years on steel wheels. I don't know 'bout mag wheels/ alloys on race cars etc.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  10. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

alot of this makes sence, but country travler makes a point, many engine manufactures tell you to lube head bolts before torque, if you lube them wouldnt you lose torque after what was just discussed on lug nuts?

11. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

They figured out the correct torque for lubed threads.

Most people who smoke don't die from cancer, not the best evidence it's safe. There is a large safety margin on wheel fasteners and mis-torque or improper procedures will not always cause failures, do you feel lucky, go for it.

PS Don't complain you can't keep the rotors from warping.

For head bolts or similar fasteners read here:

http://arp-bolts.com/pages/arpultratorque.shtml

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  12. Dan

Dan

Thanks, this is exaclty the type of discussion I hoped would get started...
    I always use a torque wrench or torque stick when in the shop but hate like hell being out in the sticks and not being able to (or destroying) the lug nuts and studs getting them off. I wonder, as someone mentioned earlier, how lubing lug nuts is different than lubing head bolts and con rod rods when torquing them? I would guess the wheel studs/lug nuts are exposed to much higher stresses than internal engine fasteners??
    Keep the info. coming, this is interesting...

13. bobscogin

bobscogin

Don, I think the use of it simply requires a little common sense and an understanding of the relationship between torque, friction, and clamping force. In my opinion it's use allows smoother tightening, greater consistency, and even torque across all the lug nuts. There's been much research done on the subject and the torque compensation allowance for lubricated threads is well documented. Here's a good article:
    http://www.stlaroc.com/features/torqtips.html

Bob

14. 61falcon

61falcon

no lube! weld wheel states on their website in faq "Weld Racing does not recommend the use of lubricant when installing lug nuts".

15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

i have done EVERY different way...lube/no-lube
    never ever had any problems

:cool:

16. Looks to me like the warning above referred to torquing lubed lug nuts WITH an airgun, not torquing them with a torque wrench.

I never use an airgun, and I always use anti-sieze and a torque wrench.

Cosmo

17. funk 49

funk 49

even though it may seem to make sense,especially in the rust belt,as stated earlier the d.o.t. inspectors will frown upon the use of anti seize

18. I've only been giving the studs a little wipe of never-seize or white lube for 40 years. On my cars and countless customer cars, never saw a problem as a result.

I do recall seeing some sort of a white lube trace on the studs of some new cars that came in for service, this was factory applied.

Bob

19. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I have always used a little anti-sieze on my wheel studs, on every vehicle, including racecars, even the center lock wheels. You do have to be aware of the torque settings, but you should always be aware. Never had a wheel come off, or even loosen.

20. In torque formulas there is a friction coefficient that is sometimes used. On one formula I use, on dry bolts, it can range from .14 to .20, on lubed bolts the range is .12 to .18. So you see there is not a tremendous difference unless you're talking about crazy torque figures.

Edit: Did a quick calculation for a 120KSI 1/4-20 bolt @ a .13 and .20 friction coefficient and came up with 62 and 95 in-lbs respectively.

Bob

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  21. ddonner

ddonner
    from nfs

My memory is that ford wheels work ok on the rear, but don't center correctly on the front. Of course that is a memory from early to late '60s mopars.

22. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"My local WalMart puts a something ( never looked close to see what it is, has a copper color ) ( family car ) on the studs, torques the nuts, drives the car around in a circle and torques them again."

There you have it ! If Wally World does it, it must be right, after all, their "Techs" have about 15 minutes of training. What the hell do the Engineers at Ford, GM, Chrysler , etc. know?

WTF ?

23. 62nova

62nova

I used to work at a shop that regularly ( daily)replaced the wheel studs broken off by the next door tire shop that would always lube up the studs. Also I would constantly find distorted lug nuts.

24. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like using lite oil. Something like power lube. And torque, always touque. And re-torque. I have used 65 lbs./sq.in. on aluminium wheels and 1/2" studs for years. And knock-on-wood have never had a problem. Even on the drag cars I have had. Gene.

25. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Id wager there’s never been a DOT inspector that was a mechanic …. Typical engineer type that live in a theoretical world / fantasy land.
    It’s a certainty if he had dead wheel studs on the side of the road in the dark and snow on his truck … it would never have dry rusty treads again.

26. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

if they are dirty or rusty use a wire brush and nothing else. if they are damaged replace them. if you apply lub it will effect torque specs and could lead to stretched studs,or wheel nuts backing off. you might get away with lub 99 times out of 100. but thats not good enough for me. most of the pro lub articles say its lubed to aid in removeing bolts. think about that a bit and id sooner use up more time removeing a stuck bolt than explaining to someone why my tire is stuck inside their suv in thier kids lap

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  27. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

For information only.

Standard 1/2 Wheel Stud Dry Clean Steel or Zinc Plated

100 Ft Lbs Torque = 1,000 Pounds clamping force (Ford Spec)
    125 Ft Lbs Torque = 1250 Pounds clamping force

Lubricated

100 Ft Pounds Torque = 1250 Pounds clamping force
    80 Ft Pounds Torque = 1000 Pounds Clamping force (desired clamping force)

To calculate adjustment

Dry Torque divided by (.2 x Thread Diameter inches) = Clamping Force

Lubricated Torque = Clamping force x .16 X Thread diameter

Or simply Lubricated Torque is 80Pct of Dry Torque
    Lubricated Clamping is 125 % of Dry

28. harley rider

harley rider

I like to use a little on washers on aluminum wheels.and on the newer conical lug nuts to minimize damage to wheel. but not on the threads.I did use to use it on my 4x4 trucks that spent alot of time in wet conditions.

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice. You get more clamping with a little lube / anti-sieze AND you get some rust prevention, ta boot. Gary

30. Seems a great debate .