Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick release steering wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I know a lot of the race car guys use them and there has been some talk in the past on using them as an anti-theft device.

However, I am wondering on the safety first and then the legality of using one on a street driven car.

I'm wondering as it would make climbing into and out of the cramped confines of my 26 RPU a whole lot easier for this old guy :D

What's the scoop ? Good idea, bad or just plain dumb, or otherwise ?

2. Fenders

Fenders

Back in the thirties you could get a "fat man wheel" -- it flipped up to make entry and exit easier for ... uh ... fat men.

3. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

I got one, don't know if it is legal or not. It sure makes it easier to get in and out of and people seem to get a kick out of watching you walk around with your wheel in your hand.

DO NOT buy a cheap on on ebay. They are sloppy, it can't fall off but it is aggravating.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I don't know how they attach, like a regular steering wheel or what..I'd use it, just be sure the wheel you want to use will fit..As for law, i really don't think there is one, at least in CT, but don't tell anyone; and I'm sure they are strong enough but if you forget to lock it on properly then its a whole new deal!

5. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have a quick release steering wheel in my 27T roadster. I never thought about the legalities (didn't care), but as far as safety is concerned, I see no problem. It was the only way I could get in the car.

6. D-man313

D-man313

A quick release hub came on my speedway column, uses a 3bolt mount for the wheel. There is a little play in the hub to column. It helps while working inside the car, to get the wheel out of the way. I take it with me when i go inside somewhere. I like mine, gladly use another one.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Adding to my post, if you use one, who makes a good one. I see Speedway sells columns with them built in.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

They look pretty darn foolproof...but there was recently a death caused by an out of control sprint car in California, and one of the news stories said that it was caused by the steering wheel coming off! No telling at this point exactly what the truth is in that case, and likely attention from lawyers will rapidly get the inquiry out of sight, but it sure would be interesting to know.
    I think the driver is the source of the information on the wheel...whatever happened, I'm sure that by now he has a lawyer and has been told to shut up.

9. Well saftey first, 200 mph on the high banks and they seem to hold on well enough.

Legaility? Grant wheels seels them for use in street rods and muscle cars so they are at least marginally legal down here, I can't say how legal they are up where you are. Something to take up with the DOT I suppose.

10. the-rodster

the-rodster

I've ran one for years on my RPU, I would have no reservations about putting one on another car, works great.

I did it because it was the easiest way to mount a Bell racing wheel to a Ford column.

Rich

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  11. I use one. had one on the touring. Works great, the Sweet units are better that Speedways. The Hex units have a little slop.

12. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I use one on each car. Like said, the hex does have a bit of play. The gear one does not. Both have pins that have to be depressed in the center before they can be put in or taken out.

13. Just got back from the Kobalt 400 and there sure are a lot of them on those cars...............just sayin".......

14. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

If your going to run one, just make sure that its latched and give it a good jerk, watched a episode of pinks and seen the guy almost wreck his ride off the line when he ended up with the wheel in his hands and not on the column.Got one on our truck it's the square one it's a little sloppy.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to think if they were properly assembled and installed correctly there wouldn't be a problem. It's the guy who forgets to make sure it's locked in place or the guy who bypasses the system because "it's too much trouble to squeeze the pin all the time" that would have problems.

16. I broke a steering column on a quad before, I hit a bunch of large rocks and sent the quad into a saguaro, it rolled a bunch and got back on its wheels and rolled quite a way in gear. I was pretty beat up and bloody
    I would really want to be sure that this did not happen in a car. esp one with no seat belts.

17. I had to use one on my roadster...Thats the only way my old,fat self would fit in..
    I do recommend using the splined type instead of the hex...Any type of "play" will result in a nerve-jangling rattle... I tried several brands and Longacre Precision-Fit #56605 seemed to be the tightest... There is some really highdollar Formula 1 unit that advertises "no play" Huge money though...
    I make it a habit of checking & rechecking the release disc to be sure its locked...

Attached Files:

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Best solution ever for the tight confines of these old cars. Just make sure it's installed properly and locked on before moving the car.

Frank

19. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Back in my racin days I used the spline type on a couple of cars. On the ones I had a pin had to be removed to pull the wheel off. The hex type was a newer design and you pushed the pin in to remove the wheel. The push pin type is easier to use, plus you can't lose the pin like with the removable pin type. There wasn't any noticeable slop in the spline hubs I had but that was back in the 80's so I don't know how they would compare to what's being made now.

Other than forgetting to put the pin in I can't think of any safety issues with them.
    I also can't think of any reason they wouldn't be legal.....but I wouldn't bother to ask if I was inclined to run one on a street car. I'd just do it.

20. I love mine! Much easier to work on.You can lock wheel in trunk as well. I was shootin the shit with "The Farmer" one day as he was strappin in "The TamelessTiger" and when he put the wheel on I says "hey,give that thing a yank." so Arnie yanks the wheel and it's nice and tight.He says" I was racin Dyno Don once and the wheel came off in my hands at about 180 miles an hour! I tried putting the wheel back on ( with hand jestures) a couple times and it wouldn't go so I threw it down and grabbed the spline( again with hand jestures) and finished the race!" "the car drove perfectly straight..." I do not recall if he won the race or not to tell ya the truth but I am sure I asked him....

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  21. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I have one in each of my A's. I know one came from speedway (i assume the other did too since they look identical) I recommend using them. as said above it makes working on the car a lot easier and I havent had a problem with them

22. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I have one in my modified and wouldn't be without it. If you get one look at Schroeder Engineering, 2020 Floyd Street, Burbank, CA 91504, 818-565-1133, http://www.schroedersteering.com/

They have been building these for years, high quality machining, high quality materials and design and great people. Their units use splines, which are much superior to the hex style.

Rex

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have an old school column built by Ididit. It has no shaft at the top, just a flat flange for bolting on a 3 hole wheel like the old Grant wheels etc.

Not sure how the hell I would mount any kind of quick release on it :confused:

24. Grant makes several different hubs. This is the one that I use.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/grt-3004

It is a weld on for 3/4" shafts. They also make versions that fit GM and Ford splined shafts.

Not cheap but steering is no place to cut corners.

25. mr.32

mr.32

I ran a super comp door car in the early 90s. We were racing at Ennis , at about 150 mph the steering wheel comes off! Thank goodness it was a " 7 flat " style. I was lucky enough to stick it back on. I didn't have it on good . Ever since , I have checked and double check it.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I use the Speedway splined one. It works great, BUT... the pin is crap! I replaced the pin with a bolt, nylon spacer and a Nylock nut. I just tighten it finger tight and it's never come loose and the wheel has never come off. The pin that comes with it wore out after a few months.

27. Mark Williams makes the best "non-tuner" quick release, IMO. Very fine splines and it has a "king spline" so you can only put the wheel on one way. Mark Williams price, too! Stay away from the hex type and ANY pin-on hubs for a street car.

Typically they will all come with a male hub bored 3/4" for a standard race car steering shaft. This could be welded to a round plate with the 3 bolt pattern to use with a stock type column and adapter.

28. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Not great pics but this is my FATMAN steering wheel in my 27 roadster. Gary:)

Attached Files:

29. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

The best one on the market IMO! Installed lots of these over the years.

30. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

You both have experience with the Mark Williams one and say its great? That's awesome! I have been looking to replace my current setup and love the idea of it only going on one way.

If you think the MW hubs are expensive look at these http://rothsport-racing.com/Products/Chassis/Chassis-Products-Quick-Release-Steering-Hub.htm This is the way I was going to go because I KNOW there is no slop in those.

Ray, I thought you were off the forums:p