Register now to get rid of these ads!

Illinois title question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iaff284, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think we've become the training ground Mike.

2. ibarodder

ibarodder

when I told the body shop I wanted him to adjust my doors and put it in primer so I could get it inspected for a VIN number . He said it doesnt have a VIN ? I said no, not yet and he said Do not bring it here ! He said the SOS police would have a shit fit if they found a car in his shop without a VIN.

3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Nobody is telling you, that you or anybody else cant offer your opinion.

I've never had my VIN numbers checked either when I got pulled over, but they do sometimes Verify the VIN number when you transfer the title in Illinois. ITS A FACT! I work for the Illinois SOS, I've been to the inspection station. Also If you do a search here you might find a few threads from the guy that works for the Insurance companies whose job is to verify the VIN on the cars before they will pay out on an insurance claim. He has offered his opinion about this too.

They do randomly Verify VIN numbers when you transfer titles in Illinois. For awhile they were doing alot of, pre 49's they have backed off of that now but they still do it randomly. 2 Of my friends had to take their cars in for them to check them. 1 guy locally had a big problem when he went to transfer a title on a glass 32 he bought that was titled with a real Ford title that had been that way for years. For a while he wasnt even sure if he was going to get to keep his car. Because they made him bring it in for inspection and found it to have a improper VIN tag applied to it. The OP can do whatever he wants to Im just saying even though its a hassle to do there are ways to do it properly.

4. jesse1980

jesse1980

I lived in Illinois for 27 years, IN COOK COUNTY, Chicago, the most scrutinized county for anything. I have titled and insured about 20 old cars in that time. I have State Farm, same guy for all those years. NEVER had problems or verification problems. I moved to Indiana in 08. My cousin is a lieutenant for Chicago pd, they arent looking at old cars with a fine tooth comb, the only time they l

5. jesse1980

jesse1980

Look is when the vin is dirty and throws up a red flag

6. jesse1980

jesse1980

Iaf384, to keep on point and out of the drama, to answer the question in MY opinion having lived in Illinois, I would put the vin on with the clear title but do it right, and keep it clean. You'll be fine.

7. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

I don't know why you guys are making a big deal about this. If the state of Illinois needs to see a number stamped into the body or chassis that matches the title, then put one there and drag it on down to the DMV. Is it technically legal? No. Will it work? Yes. The number stamps and special Ford "star" stamps are available if you know where to look...
    as are titles ;).

8. jesse1980

jesse1980

9. 117harv

117harv

A quick search here with the word (title) in the title will bring up 20 pages of threads discussing every state and concievable problem one could have titling a car. Recently the HAMB has changed it's policy on this issue. If you want to know how to do brain surgery do you ask someone who has had it, or someone who does it?

<TABLE id=post7792939 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>corncobcoupe<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7792939", true); </SCRIPT>
    Classified's Moderator

[​IMG]

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_7792939 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: how to get a bonded title (in AZ at least)
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->The HAMB no longer has anything to do or discusses titles, bills of sales, titles for sale or titles wanted.

Pretty obvious why, so don't ask because you will get no correct answers.................SO don't ask or go there.

Contact you states DMV department and ask them what you should do.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

10. jesse1980

jesse1980

He already knows what to do in his state, he is asking what is easier to do.

11. jesse1980

jesse1980

And he stated THE HAMB no longer has anything to do with titles, but, this guy can ask us, the members our opinion, or ask for advice from members anytime.

12. Roadster jones

Roadster jones

I have to agree with jesse1980 on that comment

13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

14. Jogyver

Jogyver

I went through this with a 54 bug. I did find a title unsigned and a vin tag. I went to the currency exchange to get the title transferred . Paid the fees and the $20 tax . New title in hand 4 weeks later.
    If you are building a rat rod style car you will be required to have all the safety features, horn, wipers, bumpers etc and pass a safety inspection. You will also be required to post a bond. You will need the ser. No. for all the major parts.
    So go to illinois site. Everything is spelled out. Then $500 really doesn't sound too bad for a package to eliminate all IDOT headaches your going to get.

15. jesse1980

jesse1980

Yet another supporter of my opinion!

16. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

This is the correct route.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.