Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 All Steel Willys Gasser - Ex Elverne Pfeifer car

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KevinS, Mar 16, 2013.

1. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Cool, very nice Willys!

2. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Here are pictures of the now painted body. We determined early on after seeing how good this body was after stripping it, we would paint the entire body, inside and out. It has the original fender wells, dash, etc. The drip-rails are perfect. As you will see in some of the upcoming photos, every thing inside is slick. There is no headliner or other material in the car. The interior is all aluminum (see upcoming photos). We wanted to let everyone see just how good the body is and that it is all steel and not a glass car.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Pictures are of the chrome straight axle, springs, steering, etc. The entire rearend, backing plates for the brakes, ladder bars (made by LoMan Rods) are all chrome. Our rear coil-overs/springs were just installed yesterday but not shown in these pictures.

Attached Files:

4. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

The body just went on last weekend. Now the puzzle gets put together. There are so many pieces to this car that get put on it is crazy. Tim Robbins, at LoMan Rods, fabricated so many pieces and did all the metal work on this car. He has worked on Riddler cars in the past with Don's Hot Rods. Over the next few days, I will continue to show the pieces go together and how it is taking shape. The trunk pieces are being tied in now, wiring being completed, front sections of the firewall area, and interior pieces including chrome work is going in. See more details over the next few posts.

Attached Files:

5. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Awesome!!! Cant wait to see more!

6. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Thank you for posting some old photos of the car. For anyone reading this post, please email me any historic photos or documentation that you have on this car. I have some, but I am always trying to add to my collection. We are trying to save some of the historic photos to show in TRJ. If I can save them for the Journal and not post them online yet, it would be great.

Thanks!

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can I have a ride when it's done? Please, please, please, please, pretty please?

Looks great.

8. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Found these on another thread.

Attached Files:

9. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I would love to see you do a thread on your Rockne...

10. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

These pictures are dark, but you can see some of the paint work inside the body. When looking through the trunk, you will see the painted floors, fender wells and body. You can also see in one of the pictures the painted roof inside and the cage reflecting off of it. Original fender wells are slick on the outside and the fenders are also slick inside and out. Mac Nicewander owner at LoMan Rods, outdid himself on the paint, in my opinion. He also was responsible for my 32 Rockne coupe's completion, paint and more.

The all aluminum interior is starting to go in and will create a rear firewall and package tray to the trunk area. You can see the body inside is also slick even though it will be hard to see from the trunk area. The slots in the rear aluminum firewall will allow the hooks to come through to attach the harnesses for the seat belts.

Attached Files:

11. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Beautiful job on the car but I have to say I'm disappointed that it's not being actually restored back to as raced condition. The EFI and other concessions will certainly make life easier when you do drive it but it lost something IMHO... At least it didn't end up as a pro touring styled car. :)

12. studeq

studeq
    from Mokena, IL

Very impressive!! I got hooked on the Willys coupes back in the early 60s. I attended all the big races at Indy (Nationals) and Cordova (World Series) for many years. I saw the Pfeifer Willys run numerous times at both venues. I photographed it too. I still have dozens of Willys coupe images from that era, taken with a small box camera. All the big names, Mazmanian, Stone Woods & Cook, Montogmery, etc. The Pfeifer Willys was always the most impressive inasmuch as it maintained the original exterior chrome including body moldings, grille, headlight rims, even the Americar rear bumper. Of course it was also exceptionally well done with no obtrusive graphics. I also loved the dark blue finish. I ask Elverne what color it was at Cordova and if I recall he said it was Lincoln. And by the way is he by chance still living? In any event it is now looking good and I look forward to seeing the finished product. Incidentally I also like the Rockne. I have the largest collection of original Rockne literature and documentation on the planet.

13. studeq

studeq
    from Mokena, IL

Here is one of the images, I have 3-4 more all exterior shots. [​IMG]

14. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

15. studeq

studeq
    from Mokena, IL

[​IMG]

Here is another. I have some other photos of an identical Willys that had a different front axle and has the stainless hood ornament (taken at Cordova). Did the Pfeifer car ever have the hood ornament? If you want hard copies of any of these I can look up the negatives.

16. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

17. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Any pictures you can provide to me would be great. We are continuing to collect documentation for magazines etc. to show the history of this car. I can pay for the copy.

18. studeq

studeq
    from Mokena, IL

I have the negatives in hand. Will take to the camera shop to see what 8 X 10s will cost. Incidentally the images I am posting here are slightly cut off on the sides. The original negatives have plenty of space so an 8 X 10 would be perfectly centered. Send me a p.m. with your email address. Will be easier that way. Or simply email me at: rtq11 at a o l dot c o m

One more

[​IMG]

19. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Some new pictures. As seen, the dash is starting to go in. LoMan Rods fabricator, Tim Robbins, made the tach cup and stand. They are molded together and then chromed.

The trunk pieces are going in. These tie the chassis to the body as well. The trunk is very intricate and detailed. It is all painted . You can also see one of the battery trays that we made. It will have one on each side. They will end up being covered by another panel to make it look clean.

Attached Files:

20. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Here are a few more pics of the trunk area. You can see the aluminum pieces starting to go in. We painted them black on the backside for the firewall/trunk to look cleaner and not stand out as much. All of the aluminum interior is brushed. Hours and Hours of sanding, NOT fun!

Attached Files:

21. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

More fabrication pictures and details. The front clip picture (curved piece on front end) will bolt to the front section of the body, provide support, and allow the entire front end to come off together when the fenders are unbolted.

You can also see the pieces on the firewall. These cover the door supports and the torsion bars that open the door. LoMan Rods made all the metal sections. Not the inner fender sections the fit under the door . These were all made and fit around the cage, fenders, to tie into the firewall/floor etc. All painted slick.

Attached Files:

22. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Aluminum interior pieces for the interior just brushed/sanded.

You can also see the chrome rearend and the chrome springs/coilovers just installed. The backing plates on the brakes are also chromed.

Attached Files:

23. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

This build is a lot different than the normal car. Note: the body is going on over the cage.

Here is a look from the windshield looking in at the cage, tach and starting to see the aluminum interior.

Attached Files:

24. n847

n847

I saw this car last night at Hotrodfest in Vandalia...Wow...I'm thinking about going back over just to get another look at it! Very impressive stuff! It is even more clean than it looks in the pictures! The wheels and tires are spot on!

25. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

The body is now on, buffed and starting to shine! LoMan Rods has it set up in their booth to display the work that has been done so far on this historic build. The paint really glows when the lights hit it or in the sun. The aluminum interior is in and really brightens up the inside of the car along with all the chrome trim.

You can also see the extra set of headers laying next to the car. They will come out right under the front fenders.

A video in front of the car shows the entire build and progress through the years.

The fenders, doors, deck lid, and front end are next to finish painting and putting on the car.

More pictures and updates will come as we go. I have a ton of build / bare metal pictures and fabrication pictures as well, but this could go on forever if I start to include them.

Attached Files:

26. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

No disputing the quality of work here but can't help thinking its beginning to look a little modern, sorry.

28. n847

n847

When you see it in person the only thing that really looked out of place was the wiring I could see for the EFI. I'm guessing it will be hidden when complete.

29. You have fine taste i cars. I'd love to see a bit more of that bubbletop Bel Air if you have pics.