Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Apache...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Hey buzz, its a hurst. The 3 mounting holes dont line up and the linkage arms dont seem to be able to adjust to fit.....

And saxman, im glad its gonna work out for you. Thats strange its made in taiwan ??? Hows the steel thickness compared to original ? Im probably just gonna source out some originals...

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. Buzznut

Buzznut

Do you know this is the right set-up for your Muncie? I have a set from a T-10 and another from a Saginaw and they all look similar, but are slightly different. Also, if you're putting the linkage on for the first time and didn't see how it came off, it can be confusing...and it's not intuitive. One of the linkages, I think the 2-4 linkage, goes on exactly the opposite of the way you would think.

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I bought it off chad a month or two ago. He said he had it for his muncie. The main thing is the three mounting bolts dont line up. Also the reverse linkage seems to be wayy long. Ill shoot him a pm n see. Maybe its a t10 or something like your suggesting. Idk lol. Im not too worried about the linkage right now. I just wanna get a shifter mocked up.......

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ill post up a pic tonight buzz when i get down to the shop to work on some things....

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

Is the mounting plate separate from the gate? The reason I ask is because I took mine all apart and when I went to mount the plate that goes between the Muncie and the gate I tried for a few minutes to put it on upside-down. Fit the plate to the gate first to see how it orientates then you'll know how it needs to mount to the Muncie. I swear it's completely opposite of what you think when you try to mount the plate by itself.

6. Buzznut

Buzznut

Also, are you using the forward holes or rearmost holes? the Hurst shifter, on a Muncie, uses the rearmost holes.

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Everything is still assembled all together. It wont mount in the front or rear holes.... ? And the arms still look like they wont work. Sorry i didnt get a chance to go down and get a pic for ya

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

Makes no sense...you're sure yours is a Muncie? I mean, I'm not saying it isn't, but what if... Take pics when you get a chance.

In the meantime, it looks like this, right? This would be the view from the drivers side of the truck, as if is were mounted on the Muncie. Some of the keys may be laying incorrectly, but you get the idea.

Make sure all the bends are identical, as well as the pattern of mounting holes on the mounting plate and the shape of the plate.

[​IMG]

BTW: You do know that the plate has to be bolted onto the transmission separately first, right? If you didn't take it off yourself then you may not know this. If he shipped it to you all bolted together, you may just be confused by how it all looks and not realize that the plate gets bolted to the transmission, then the gate gets bolted to the plate.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  9. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

just read thru your thread. looks like you're gonna have a nice truck. hope mine turns out nice like yours. as far as doors go, i'm fixing mine, but a friend bought his from ClassicParts, and they fit pretty good. did minor tweeking on them and they look great now. keep up the good work. i'll be following your thread now. glad I found it.

10. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

My shifter looks different than yours. I have an m20, i believe it was dated 68? I cant remember off hand what the numbers were when.i ran em. Maybe the shifter just isnt for a muncie ? Ill double check it tonight, i only tinkered with it for about 10 minutes but it definately looks different

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

The reverse linkage is different, mines more ztraight, the platez different, and the shifter on mine doesnt have two bolt holes

12. Buzznut

Buzznut

Then it's not for a Muncie. There's a chance he had it laying around and didn't realize he was sending you the wrong one, but if it doesn't look like mine it won't bolt up and won't work. I can see if I have another around here somewhere, but hopefully he still has the Muncie shifter there and can swap you, or at the very least give you your money back for a part that isn't what it was supposed to be.

BTW, the one you describe sounds like my linkage for a T-10.

13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Heres a pic...... And im not blaming him, i didnt really look into as much as i shoulda. Ill just throw it up for sale i guess.....

Attached Files:

14. Buzznut

Buzznut

Sorry bro, definitely not the correct linkage.

15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Huh, well that sucks lol. Ill have to find out whatsup and try and sell it i guess

16. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Heres the seat frame for the most part. I gotta bolt it down in its final spot but i wanna make sure everything clears the gas tank and all before i bolt er down for good. Also heres the general idea for the engine turned gauge panel im gonna do......

Attached Files:

17. Brog

Brog

Clears the gas tank? You're keepin that thing in the cab....?

18. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

That truck looked cool in a destroyed sort of way when you got it, but with all the work you have put into it, I can't wait to see what it will look like when it's all back together.

I'm guessing it will be amazing. And i can't believe how fast you have taken to welding. Did you take lessons or just teach yourself?

Definitely subscribed.

19. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Brog, yessir tank will stay in the cab

And i just bought a miller 211 and watched a shitload of youtube videos on welding lol

20. Buzznut

Buzznut

I have to admit, you're a natural at welding... It's dirty and can be nasty at times, but could be a career - sure is a lot of job security in it if you're good.

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks man, i still have a shitload of improvements i can make tho. Skoty chop has some SICK mig welds man, check his stuff out, mine look like ass compared to his lol. And all media bullshit aside, jesse james is my favorite craftsman/fabricator. his work is amazing.

The gauges just came in the mail today :D

Attached Files:

22. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

Good to know. I've got my Father's old welding kit coming my way and didn't know if I needed lessons or not. I guess if I can't find anyone to teach me then youtube can work too!

PS for getting your body down to bare metal, you could always spend a couple hundred bucks building your own blasting cabinet out of plywood. After all, you already have the nice compressor, and that's most of the cost already covered. Now you need a bit of wood, some glass or lexan and you're in business.
    You can manually recycle the graded media after use by shoveling it back into your container, so it's quite cheap.

My Dad did that a few times when he was building his plane, worked a treat and cost nearly nothing. And when it's finished you can burn the wood in your chimney and heat your house, OR have a lot or BBQs in the summer. Nothing wasted ;-]

cheers
    Herm

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I might look into that, but at the same time, by the time i buy the blaster, media, plywood and other misc things ill probably have more money into it than what the guy was gonna charge to do the cab and other sheetmetal

24. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Found out the shifter is an 883 four speed overdrive shifter lol, anyone got a lead on a muncie hurst shifter

25. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'll look in my pile of stuff this weekend.

26. dubie

dubie

damnit, I had one up until 3 weeks ago. I sold it to the guy that bought my 67 GMC

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks buzz, and its all good dubie. Ill find one at some point

28. 1959apache

1959apache

Hey dude, I spent 14 bucks plus tax on that wire wheel for the grinder that I use. I had the entire interior of the cab stripped in about 4 hours worth of work (which has a lot more contours that wear the wheel faster). If you are looking to save money that would be a good place to start. Also a small pot blaster can get into the tiny nooks and I just use a tarp on the ground... when the media hits it from a distance it just stops... then I can just taco the tarp and pour it through a screendoor screen into a 5 gallon bucket and back into the pot it goes. I have been doing it for years. total investment is less than $100 for a stripped cab, no warpage, and no media to pick up (if you just use the wheel). check craigslist for a pot blaster. Damnit... I want tacos now.

29. Buzznut

Buzznut

Me too. Jimboys used to make their El Gordo taco really big...these days it seems more like a little kid wearing their dads overcoat.

Anyway...tacos, mmm.

BTW: if you do the wire wheel thing, make sure you get the braided kind, otherwise you'll be feeling like a porcupine from all the wires flying out of the wheel. Also, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!

30. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Anyone have any engine turning tips or tricks ? Im about to order cratex sticks. Never done this before so we will see how it goes......