Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the best way to set the butterflies on an 8 port?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old jetstar, Mar 18, 2013.

1. old jetstar

old jetstar
    from oswego,KS

I've got an Enderle that doesn't want to act right idling........:confused:

2. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

it a POS take it off and send it to me

feeler gauge...
    fuel pressure comes to mind... check it?

:cool:

3. What does "not act right" mean exactly?

I set my Crower with a .004 feeler gauge under the edge of the butterfly. Does your Enderle have split shafts?

4. old jetstar

old jetstar
    from oswego,KS

Yeah the trouble is that it limps on a couple cylinders idling....Seems to want to wet foul the plugs on the ones that are missing...maybe cause those butterflies aren't open enough at idle??? I'm running it on E85 and that seems like it makes the barrel valve adjustment and the pill selection a lot more important than it does on methanol....

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

You could have a twisted shaft because sometimes people put a return spring on the shaft instead of the linkage.
    First thing is to establish a base line. You do that by backing the idle adj screw out and dis-connect any cross-over linkage. Now loosen all butterfly screws and lightly tap on them so that they will register in their bores and re-tighten the screws.
    Hook everthing back up and pre-set some idle and start it.
    You also might consider getting a UNI-SYN , it is used to measure airflow by placing on top of the stacks (one at a time) it will tell you at idle what each stack is pulling in. If you set the blades as above and the front set flows different than the rear set , your shaft has twist.

6. ^^^ What he said ^^^

I had that exact problem with the Crower. It had necked down shafts for the bushings, and we ran enough spring to twist them. Are you pulling from the center, or one end?

7. Midget25

Midget25

Have you cleaned the injector nozzle's?

8. old jetstar

old jetstar
    from oswego,KS

It could be a bent shaft...The guy I got this from had it for 30 years and never tried to use it...I'll have to get a look at all the butterflies and see how close they're set at idle....I wonder how much one of those Uni-Syn things cost? Looks like a cool way to set one up....

9. The Uni-syn is more useful on multi carb setups. Not saying it won't do any good, but there is no vacuum signal pulling fuel out of the idle port like you'd have on an SU or Weber for instance.

Personally, I wouldn't scour the earth trying to find one to help you solve this particular problem. Tap the throttle plates is as Dr. Dre suggested.

If you can get them all to seat, wind the idle stop on the throttle side until you get .004, then set the connector linkage to get the back pair to match, then do the same with the crossover and opposite connector linkage (you may have to slip the lever on the shaft if your connectors are not adjustable).

10. old jetstar

old jetstar
    from oswego,KS

Thanks a bunch for the help! I'll get a chance here in the next couple days to check it out and see what's really goin on with it.....

Attached Files: