Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration New to striping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iceman7578, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

Hey everyone. I'm trying a little striping. These are attempts 4 & 5. Looking for honest opinions thoughts and suggestions. I'm amazed by the work ImageUploadedByTJJ1363730004.832240.jpg folks here do so I figure who better to ask. Thanks

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. VonDad

VonDad

Looks pretty decent to me. Go over to the pinheadlounge.com Lots of guys over there are here too.

Much talent, and inspiration. Looks like you got a good start. Practice a bunch..

Best to ya
    VonDad

3. edweird

edweird

looks like you are off to a good start.

4. Gator

Gator

Not bad, try keeping things simpler to start, concentrate on keeping your lines consistent and smooth. Try starting with some simpler designs too - less is more!

Glass is also a bit harder to stripe than a painted surface because its so smooth. (I'm assuming thats glass?)

But keep at it!

5. kracker36

kracker36

Ill give you credit man--looks WAAY better than what I can do and even better than some self proclaimed pros. Keep it up.

6. Good beginning.
    My tips:
    The sign of a good artist is knowing when to quit.
    All stripers start out by planting their little finger, pivoting, and making three inch lines.
    Get up on the brush and pull two foot lines without your pinkie. With the longer line you will learn that you have to mix the paint right to get a long smooth line.

Enough typing, do a search for the many threads on this subject.

7. indyjps

indyjps

Looks great, start practicing out of position, consider the body panel may be vertical.

8. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

This art form is much like learning a musical instrument. Start with the basics and practice alot!

I couldn't play 'Stairway to Heaven' after my first guitar lesson at 10 yrs old. Wonder why?

9. I'm no artist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so...

In my opinion, one of the marks of a good striper is the ability to keep the design symmetrical. Your tan panel does a much better job of this than your white panel.

That said, your stuff is way better than I could ever do. I end up looking like a kindergardener on finger painting day, and my designs look even worse.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm impressed that it's only your 4th and 5th attempt, yet they look so good. Pretty symetrical...smooth lines...you obviously have a good eye. You're gonna be great.

11. learn to crawl before trying to run.
    PM me sometime.

12. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

Hey guys I appreciate all the feedback. I agree with keeping in simple. I get carried away and tend to get "lost" in the piece. I'm practicing on everything. With that being said here's attempt 6, on my furnace cover! ImageUploadedByTJJ1363775795.942921.jpg

13. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

as far as pinstriping, either you got it or you don't, and you got it! looks good, like others said, practice, practice, practice.

14. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

Honestly, my grandfather was a sign painter, glass blower etc.. he made signs of all types mainly painted or neon.. This was during the late 40's into the late 60's when he passed away.. He passed well before I was born but his work is still around in some places in my hometown. Ive always been fascinated by it and thought learning would be cool.. I have his old pinstriping box complete with brushes, paints, gold leaf etc.. thats still as he left it when he passed, looking through that box got me motivated to try and learn.. Ill post pics of the box when I get home, its a cool time capsule.. Thanks again everyone..

15. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

This is my grandfathers painting box. It's as it was left when he died in the late 60s. He made it out of stainless. ImageUploadedByTJJ1363812799.342818.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1363812813.970567.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1363812824.719772.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1363812844.636015.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1363812885.203975.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1363812904.320598.jpg

16. Nice old box Iceman! Is the front of that a rollup or does it pull out? Looks like it might be really heavy to carry around though.Thanks for posting the pics;I collect vintage sign kits and always enjoy seeing pics of them.

17. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

It rolls up like a roll top desk. It's cool and not too heavy. Definitely could be lighter though for carrying all the time.

18. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Iceman; you're off to a good start. Since Grandpa was a painter, you probably have the skill in your genes. Congrats and condolences, an artistic trait usually carries a tax equal to the gift. Knowing that you unless you pull the brush, you're going to get anxious, try to find media that is easy to work on. In my early airbrush days, I used old storm windows, with white paper taped to the back of the glass. When my efforts turned out to be less than hoped, I could scrape the glass with a razor blade and have a fresh canvas.
    Symmetry is ALL IMPORTANT for your first two types of art. But, that's only part of striping. All the lines that point to your centerpiece have to flow smooth and consistent in depth and width.
    Seriously, I am assuming that you have the gift. And you always have to want to be better. You can't be too proud of your early efforts or you won't grow. Please don't take this as a criticism, its not. Just trying to help you learn to take another step after this one. Know what I mean ?

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

19. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

Checkerwagon I don't take it as criticism at all. I have a ton to learn and any advice that can be given is much appreciated. I was a little hesitant to put those pieces on the forum for fear of getting hammered but the only way to learn and progress is to hear everything good and bad so I appreciate all of your advice as well as other hamb members. Lots of amazing artists on this site.

20. For the small tight designs, get a Kafka scroller and quit fighting the striper. Get away from pivoting on your pink, get up on the tip of the scroller. I would practice with the scroller because when you do, you will go away from the striper except for long lines.

21. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

22. kscarguy

kscarguy

Looks great. Only tip I can offer is to roll the brush in your fingers on curves. That was taught to me by the pin striper "Tiny" in KC.

23. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

I'm trying to get that roll between the fingers down. Ill have to try the Kafka brush and see what works best for me. My big fat fingers aren't always as nimble as I'd like them to be. I find when I roll the brush I press down a bit and my line gets fatter.