Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whatever happened to Gary Kollofski's 55 Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ranunculous, Nov 28, 2008.

1. DiabloMann

DiabloMann
    from colorado

That's a really bad ending to a totally cool story

2. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

So what car does TAZHOG own????

3. Kollofski

Kollofski

I'm in agreement with Scott. I would have liked to help in finding all the parts and pieces necessary to re-do the 55. It is a shame, that it doesn't look like this is going to happen. Again, does anybody know where the pieces of the original frame may be? Scott will make it happen if these pieces can be located.

Gary Kollofski

4. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

I never saw the '55 , except in the magazines , but I did see Gary's '36 a handful of times . I was just a kid at the time and I loved that car , I tore up my magazines to hang the pictures on my wall .
    I ended up getting a couple of pictures of it .

Attached Files:

• 423.jpg
      423.jpg
      File size:
      115 KB
      Views:
    • 1211.jpg
      1211.jpg
      File size:
      141.6 KB
      Views:
  5. bobs36hotrod

bobs36hotrod

Granda Munster I am glad you like Gary's 1936 willys It is still modern by todays standards. Twinturbos, Disc Brakes, Tube Frame , Rack and Pinion Steering, Dana 60 Locker, Tubed-Pro-Street . Lots of fun to drive. Been Stopped 40 plus times buy the Cops, but never a hastle They just wanted to look. Says a lot about our city police Good bunch of guys. Thanks, willybob BOB

6. bobs36hotrod

bobs36hotrod

Hi, just finished and thought I would add the new all steel full tilt hood picture for Kollofski's Killer 36 Willys all steel coupe. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks, bobs36hotrod

[​IMG]

7. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

That Willys is as bad ass as ever! You've obviously done a super job caring for it...

8. c57heaven

c57heaven

thanks for the pic. Gary's 55 and this car are iconic. Never get tired of seeing pics of them!

9. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I went to school with Dan at Yucaipa high. And I do remenber his bad ass 57.Last I heard he was working as a Airline pilot

10. David_396

David_396

Just found this old thread. Great stuff!

11. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Yep,I'm glad some great builders(Kollofski and Sullivan) chimed in!
    We do mind what happened to Gary's 55? Shame there wasn't a seperate thread started for the equally-interesting 36 Willys? It deserves its OWN thread,not a hijacked one.
    The detail on both cars is awesome and elevated the hot rod field!

12. Kollofski

Kollofski

Here are some pictures of the "next" 55. And one of the 57 2dr post with 2 V12 BMW engines side-by-side

Gary

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. 'Mo

'Mo

14. x2!!!!!!!

15. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

16. c57heaven

c57heaven

Wow that's great stuff you have going there. Glad to see you're keeping us involved.
    I still get a gleam in my eye when I see pics of that black 55...Iconic cars 55 & 33. Looks like these two may be headed in that direction.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  17. old injun

old injun

been wondering what happened to that 55 for years and finally did a search and found this great thread. Gary's 55 was the next great 55 after the two lane black top and american graffity cars it wasnt the first big tire street car but it seemed to catch every ones attention and for me it was the first pro street car and set the standard. even today the cars that run hot rod mags drag week are influenced by this car the willys is equally cool and one of the most iconic and memorable willys along with the great gasser legends before it but this thread is about the 55. .

18. Kollofski

Kollofski

The 55 is finally completed. Here are some pictures of the finished product.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

a ton of work in that car! very nice. would like to see some under side shots of the 57. i cant imagine stuffing all that in a 57. interesting. thanks for the pics!

20. Kollofski

Kollofski

If anyone is remotely interested, there is going to be a 6 page article w/pictures of the 55, in the May issue of Car Craft Magazine to be on the newsstands in late February. Also in the same issue is a 2 page spread in "This Guys Garage" on the 57 project. Check it out and let me know what you think.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'll be watching for it and thanks for chiming in.

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I remember quite well the original articles of your '55 back then, no doubt one of the baddest of the era. Its cool to see the history of the car being revisited.

23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary's black 55 was the best 55 ever--I remember it well in the mags--was mesmerized but was only able to afford a nice black 55 hardtop that was our only driver. Gary's 55 always had me conjuring ways to make mine similar but no funds and too many responsibilities-still have the 55. His was the best ever!!!!

24. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Kudos sir. on another masterpiece. As a 16 year old kid, your black '55 was a dream machine to me. I had that issue of Hot Rod with the Rod Test in it for years, until it just disintegrated. As a high school kid with a limited budget, I was never able to get my '56 to that caliber, but I was inspired to do better.

25. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Thanks Gary, look forward to it!

26. Kollofski

Kollofski

Just heard, from some friends, that the May issue of CC, with the feature on the 55 & 57 is in the hands of subscribers, which means it is not far from the newsstands. Pick up a copy and let me know what you think.

27. mark 55

mark 55

Gary, Your latest tri-fives are nothing short of incredible. You have a gift for not only thinking out of the box, but for having the talent to make it happen as well. Please don't let these cars meet the same fate as the black car! Speaking of, you know almost everyone here wants you to clone the black car since the original is messed up. There are only a few cars in this world that could make a person speechless. You did that to a bunch of us. Thanks!

28. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I picked up a copy of the magazine on the newsstand today. Very nice article!

29. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

That issue just came yesterday..You SIR should be proud...Attetion to detail is off the charts

30. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

I know this is a year and a half old and I do not have the cited magazines, but am very curious about your wild Tri 5s.
    Has the 57 been completed? Any performance report?