Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 3600 into a daily driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coach529, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Coach529

Coach529

Thanks....once I get the rear end down a little bit I will be really pleased!!

2. Rims and tires look awesome! I love the color and age to that paint, it's perfect!

3. Coach529

Coach529

Thanks!!

4. Coach529

Coach529

We had a pretty good shot of snow yesterday and last night.....combined with 40mph winds today.

School cancelled, but my wife had to work. Snow day for kids.....shop day for dad!! :)

In between some other tasks and moving snow I got some stuff done today!!

Got my pinion set and burnt in the spring seats.

[​IMG]

After that I bolted the Blazer sway bar on the rear end and shortened up the vertical mounts to use it on Henry. Fits perfect!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then spent about an hour boxing the spring mounts I made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The UPS man.....and Mail Lady have been making alot of delivery's to the household lately!!

My wheel spacers showed up.

[​IMG]

And I got a special package from Wood1........tail lights and a center steering wheel cap!!

[​IMG]

Up next:

* Box frame
    * Fab cross member for upper shock mount
    * Fab lower shock mounts and install shocks
    * Fab upper front shock mounts

5. looking great and great photography as well! I'm guessing the wheel spacers are for the rear end? Where did you get those from?

Keep up the good work! At least you've still got snow and a reason to be in the shop. It's been beautiful 70 degrees down here in Texas and I'm kicking myself for not having my truck finished so I can drive it in this great weather before the 100+degree days hit!

6. Coach529

Coach529

Yes the wheel spacers are for the rear. Making up for a slightly narrower than stock rear and and filling up the wheel wells. I got them from Lug's and Stuff in Michigan on their Ebay Store

7. Coach529

Coach529

Spent a little quality time with Henry last night.

I modified the Blazer lower shock mounts to accept the shocks I wanted to run.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything bolted up the way I had hoped, but I am running into a bit of a snag.

The shocks I have are for a mid 60's C-10. Collapsed length is 12.56" I am going to have to lean these babies over about 40 degree's to get that length to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So do I lean them over....or try to find a shock with the same mounts that is a 2-3 inches shorter?

8. shadams

shadams

Could you add a tab to the lower shock mount to lower them down a couple inches? I dont know how much space you have between the bottom of the shock bracket and the rim, but seems like there should be some if running 15" wheels..

9. Coach529

Coach529

That is one option I am currently looking into.

My scrub line right now is fine.

10. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

The front shocks for the C 10 are shorter

11. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Love this thread and everyone you're doing to your truck! Best to you!

12. Coach529

Coach529

I see than....close to 3" shorter. Hmm.

13. Coach529

Coach529

thanks!!

14. historynw

historynw

[​IMG]

Your truck looks happy here, cleaned up nicely.

15. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Then there is the argument that the valving in front shocks for use under and engine are not designed to be used in the rear of a light truck unless loaded equally at all times.

Would probobly never notice but just sayin.

I agree with the theory and the chart applying effectiveness, but look at the last 30 years of most truck manufaturers, GM. ,FORD ,Dodge etc and they place them at angles forward and back. I have them at a 40 degree angle on my OT rockcrawler to get more travel out of them. The crawler rides super smotth and has great on road characteristics.

16. coolvato

coolvato

Coach, great thread and awesome looking truck.. I just ordered the same tires and wheels but my rears are 8", the only concern is the size of the 215/75r15 in the front of my 49. Do you think they stand to tall? I was thinking of switching to 205's.

17. Coach529

Coach529

I did not knock anything off my honey do list......but I made good progress with Henry!!

First line of business....cross member and shock mounts. I threw caution to the wind and leaned the shocks I had over.

[​IMG]

I never did get a chance to cut my frame boxing plates at work wiht the plasma cutter, so plan B was in order. Jig saw and 24T blades. Easy peazy!! I blade per side is all it took. Not ideal, but it worked!!

[​IMG]

Tacked in and read to start welding.

[​IMG]

Not proud of the some of the welds.....but they are strong. Hopefully they will never see the light of day again!!

[​IMG]

I got my new center caps and bullet lug nuts installed on one wheel as well!!

[​IMG]

18. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Lookin good Mike. The caps and lugs are sweet! IS THAT NEW WHEEL SCRATCHED AT THE 4:00 SPOT? whats the story....?

19. Coach529

Coach529

No scratch.......it is the seam of the wheel. Flash must have made it more noticeable

20. Coach529

Coach529

It is crazy the difference. I never would have imagined it would have cleaned up that well.

21. Coach529

Coach529

I though about 8" wheels. You will have to post pictures.....I would love to see some pictures of them once you get them mounted.

I like the 215's.....but everybody has different ways they want their truck to look.

I would have prefered 235's all the way around, but they would not clear in the front.

22. Looks good. Sorry I didn't respond to your pm, I didn't see it until today. And by the looks of it you found the right size tires.

23. Coach529

Coach529

Thanks!!

No problem. I was on the fence for tall narrow pie crusts like your and some more modern radials.

Couldn't go wrong with either but went with the more modern radials.

24. Yeah when it's time to change tires I'm going with radials. How much did those run you?

25. Coach529

Coach529

About $900 shipped to my door.

26. How's the truck coming?

27. Coach529

Coach529

Sorry....updates have been slow. There has been very little progress lately, and nothing worth photographing!!

Floor pans are repair. The rust was not horrible so I just used some galv 18 gauge I had left over from some other projects. After I figure out the new hole in the floor for the dual master cylinder, I will peal and seal the floor and install the mat Newfisher sent me........

The headliner was shot and removed last summer. The left over insulation and glue has been now removed after a messy hour ordeal with a wire wheel on a 4-1/2" grinder. Now ready to install peal and seal and eventually figure out something for a headliner.

My residual pressure valves showed up yesterday......so I may start on the brakes this weekend. Maybe........

[​IMG]

28. Coach529

Coach529

Sorry....updates have been slow. There has been very little progress lately, and nothing worth photographing!!

Floor pans are repair. The rust was not horrible so I just used some galv 18 gauge I had left over from some other projects. After I figure out the new hole in the floor for the dual master cylinder, I will peal and seal the floor and install the mat Newfisher sent me........

The headliner was shot and removed last summer. The left over insulation and glue has been now removed after a messy hour ordeal with a wire wheel on a 4-1/2" grinder. Now ready to install peal and seal and eventually figure out something for a headliner.

My residual pressure valves showed up yesterday......so I may start on the brakes this weekend. Maybe........

[​IMG]

29. Coach529

Coach529

Little or nothing in the form of forward progress this past weekend.

RH front shock is mounted but I did not get around to the LH side.

I drove all over town and got stuff from all three auto parts stores to get my all my brake stuff lined up.

Thinks I have all the fittings I need to get it done....hopefully!!

Today I was working on some other projects, so Henry go pulled out into the driveway. 8 hours later....we had 8+ inches of snow. yuck!!

[​IMG]

30. 4444Design

4444Design

nice pic anyway