Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Business Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53chevtrev, Nov 26, 2011.

1. hey Trev, starting to recover from heart surgery. would love to get over there.. your work is beyond words...there is soooooo much talent out there, with you young guns...keep it up.. hope to see ya soon..Lloyd

2. fck yeah trev its looking great!! really amazing work there!

3. draider

draider
    from Texas

Damn, that Chevy has a great ass.

4. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

What a clean little Chevy! Loving your car....hope you're feeling better soon

5. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

killer work man love the bumper keep it up.

6. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

So I am finally starting to feel better after being sick for over a week with flu and cold. Still not 100% but I think the worst is now over. Starting to collect parts and organize everything for the front end of the car. Getting my front fenders blasted this week. Got out in the garage for a few hours today and tore apart my two grills to salvage parts to make one straight grill. I have now acquired enough teeth to fill my entire grill.

[​IMG]

Picked up a set of 55 Oldsmobile bezels off Mike Frisk. I also got a complete set of 56 Olds head light bucket assemblies given to me. As the bezels are different from year to year, I was going to have to modify the buckets. I chopped the top of the bucket off and changed it to fit with the 55 bezels.

[​IMG]

I am planning on pulling the motor and transmission back out of the car so that I can smooth the firewall then start building the front end back up. Stay tuned.

7. Great to hear you're on the mend.............staying tuned for sure :)

8. Tin Can

Tin Can

Front of the car will look really nice with all them teeth!

9. stinkity stoink

stinkity stoink
    from new jersey

wow every time I thought you were done customizing you pull something else off! Awesome build!

10. Keep feeling better man! The new custom touches you have planned for the front end sound and look sweet! Really digging this build of yours......keep those pics coming, when you get a chance of course.

11. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Lovin those Teeeef!

12. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Bit of saturday progress on the car today. Last weekend I pulled my 6 to get the firewall all cleaned up. Today I cut out all the old firewall as it was full of holes and was easier to just start from scratch than try and build a load of patches.

[​IMG]

I wanted to keep the center section as I will be using my wipers so I only built the sides and left the center factory. I did however cut and move where the seam was above the wiper motor flush so it will be smooth when fully welded.

[​IMG]

Thats all I got done today, will get a night this week to weld and hammer it, happy with how it looks.

13. jkmills

jkmills

Nice build! I am glad you decided to keep the inline 6. I am running the inline 6 dual carb and exhaust with a turbo 350 trans. I got my trans adaptor from Buffalo Enterprises. It worked out perfect. I am running my master break cylinder under the floor. I upgraded to a dual resivor. I had a really hard time running my exhaust, because my car is also bagged.

14. Drivinford

Drivinford

This is a cool ass build man

15. Going to look great with the 6 under the bonnet, hanging to see what you do with the front panels :)

16. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

I have now decided to swap out the 6 for a mild 350. I know a lot of traditional guys will be upset but I wanted something easy and reliable as I will be driving this car a lot and my best option was a sbc. I am running my M/C under the dash to save room as I don't have enough clearance between my floor pans and the ground to run one under the floor.

Thanks man

You wont be seeing the 6 under the hood anymore, pulled it out in place of a mild 350. Keeping the 6 for another project in the future.

17. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

That's cool! buid it to drive bro.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

18. rat nasty

rat nasty

man If I missed the MC under the dash I'd love to see it! PICS & info please!

19. Paul B

Paul B

Same here my 53 came with a good running lo mile 250 in it .i took it out to reweld the frame. put in the sb i had.

20. 5559

from tn

always wanted one !!!!!1

21. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

I got mine from Scott's Hot rods, Definitely an awesome piece! I also bought a under the floor kit from "welder series" I should try to pedal here on the hamb beings once I busted out a tape measure I realized I was a Fool for ordering it. :)

22. I'm sure it's going to look good with anything under the bonnet, would've loved to see a 6 but for reliability you just cant beat a newer small block :)

23. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Saturday update. I got the firewall all welded up and finished today, no pictures to post of that because it looks the exact same as the one i posted last week minus the seams. After that I had an idea on how to integrate center bar mounts into my grille so I decided to give them a go while the creative ideas were flowing. These grilles are hard to work with as they are super thin gauge! For the center bar end mounts, I cut the bit of the parking light assembly that the grille bolted to from factory. I then notched out and welded it into the ends of the grille shell. There is still a lot of work to get these looking nice, the bottom mount for the parking light needs to be cut out and smoothed. After all the metal work is done my goal is to have it appear like factory.

[​IMG]

I extended the center bar with an extra one I picked up a while back. Before welding everything, I bolted the center bar into place to check everything was good and Im pretty happy with how it looks.

[​IMG]

24. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

The firewall looks great been thinkin about doing the same to mine. how did you do the design on it on it not sure what to call it sorry. wood buck or something?

25. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

I used my beadroller to make the stamped design.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Very nice work. Its going to be a show stopper
    Are you going to tooth-up the center bar or do you have something else in mind?

Godspeed
    MrC.

27. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

I have 13 teeth to put into the grille.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

the grill looks way cool!!

29. Patrick46