Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thunderbird Seat transplant pic request

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deaconjwh, Feb 28, 2013.

1. deaconjwh

deaconjwh
    from Parma, OH
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Hi All,
    I am looking for pics and advice for installing Thunderbird rear seats in other applications as well as any pics of foundation construction under and behind the seats for inspiration. I did a search and the most promising pics are no longer available.

I recently picked up a set of cherry 64 Thunderbird seats. Well, 1 bucket (anybody need one for a good price? haha) and the entire wrap around rear with all the trim-I mean bolts, package tray cover, arm rests and all. The story is the former owner bought them as an extra set for his first car and they had been hanging in an attic ever since. The plan is to put them in my 52 Chev. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks very much.

Deacon Jim
    ><>

2. deaconjwh

deaconjwh
    from Parma, OH
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Survey says...NADA!

3. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

I'm interested as well just started puttin a t-bird rear seat in my 53 Chevy! Any pics guys gals?

4. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

ImageUploadedByTJJ1363651442.672125.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1363651460.224126.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

The package try doesn't fit real well prolly going to make one! It's perfect width I had to trim the bottom back corners to fit around the well wheels.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. Royalscadillacs

Royalscadillacs

Here's a pic of one mocked up in a 61 Coupe Deville, need to trim the package tray trim and arm rests, but it will fit nice.

Attached Files:

7. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

That's a pretty nice job in the caddy!

8. deaconjwh

deaconjwh
    from Parma, OH
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Nice work guys. Hoping to dig into mine once the weather breaks for real. Thanks for bringing the thread back up...maybe some more pics to come?

9. I'm just finnished with the install=finnal assm,so,here's my crap...... I believe mine were 65. After fitting the tray to where I wanted=seats in/out numerous times,I did this> Instead of having the tray end,then add a filler,I contured a sheet to form with the back window.Also trimmed around to match the headliner contour.=So now all one piece. I wanted tunes,so I lucked out 'cause the tray sit's about 2 1/2 above the factory shelf,and didn't have to bore through that as well for speakers. They are serviceable from the top. So far so good....
    Factory trim is just that,and designed for a 'bird,so improvising..... cut and contured the trim to match the curviture(spl) to the 1/4 garnish moulding.
    When all assembled,looks good(at least to me).
    And- gotta come up with a one off emblem,and ditch the bird....I give that to people regularly,so I made my own.
    Just have to think it out,and fit a bunch of times,but in the end,it's worth it.
    Pics..........

Attached Files:

Potsmx likes this.
  10. A few more......

Attached Files:

Potsmx likes this.
  11. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Nice install!!! Thanks for the details on the fab! What kinda car did you put it in to?

12. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Big bird, could i get a few measurements from you, I have a 67 seat backs, and think they cureve more than yours.

Also putting them in a 53 chevy

13. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Could you get me a measurement like in the pic? the 2 lower mounting tabs are flat on the surface, and the seat measures right at 12" where the tsquare is located in the pic.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

14. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

My wife's 64 Galaxie Fastback has T-Bird seats in it front & back.
    Everybody compliments on how nice it looks.
    We just had all of them out to install new carpet last week.
    Dang, if I'd a just seen this thread, I would have emailed you pictures so you could see.

15. clyde m

clyde m

COULD YOU PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THE MERCURY HEAD ABOVE TO MY EMAIL...THAT IS ONE OF THE NEATEST MERC GUY WE HAVE SEEN
    [email protected]
    THANK YOU
    CLYDE

16. Bull

Bull

Pics of my dad's shoebox:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

charleyw likes this.
  17. Potsmx

Potsmx

Nice job Invisiblekid, now I do the job for mi 51 Merc, can you show us how did you atach de back of the seat to the body of the car, thanks

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’ve got a rear seat for a T bird, that needs recovered if anybody wants one. Got the front ones too, but have used some parts off of them!

Bones