Register now to get rid of these ads!

need to purchase a center link (drag link)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dangulo, Mar 14, 2013.

1. dangulo

dangulo

Hello to all,

I have bought several items from Mac and can't complain. But just a quick question regarding center link (drag link). Is the quality good?

Reason I'm asking is, I need to replace the center link for 1951 Mercury and Mac's price is $139 for that year versus Kanter $195? The big price difference makes me wonder if its quality or just is. Trust me, not complaining for the price but I can see one being more expensive than the other but a gap like that is pretty crazy.

If anyone has bought one from Mac, would you recommend?

Thanks again

2. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

I doubt that Mac's would stock and sell any sub-standard qualiity part. Especially for steering gear. Can you say "Law Suit"?

3. dangulo

dangulo

Very true. Thanks for the reply. I want to order but wanted to hear what you guys thought or expierence. For the most part all other steering components are pretty much head to head with Lanter being a couple more dollars but like I said thats a pretty big gap.

I'm pretty set with Mac, will most likely place my order tonite.

Thanks

4. I ordered my center link from Kanter and have absolutely no problems with it.

Mine is for a 1954 Ford,,the parts was made in the USA.

Check with Macs and ask if it's American made piece or off shore? HRP

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

5. dangulo

dangulo

Didnt even occur to me.. Yes thank you, I will ask!

6. dangulo

dangulo

Just FYI - called and manufactured in Argentina. Not a big deal but that explains to me why such a ~$50 dollar gap.

7. Well,that does beat a Taiwanese made piece,,they have been making parts for years! :D HRP

8. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

I purchased one from Macs for my 51 Merc and it matches up to the OEM fairly well. It's hard to beat the old OEM FoMoCo stuff. It appears to be as good as any of the aftermarket ones that used to be available from Moog, Regal, or Thompson Products (TRW). The rod size is .040" smaller in diameter but it formed well enough. It's a lot straighter and tighter than the one I replaced it with for sure. It is a product of Argentina. The tapers were all good and the inner tie rods fit in well. I haven't compared it to the Kanter parts yet so I don't know how it would stack up.

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

kanters is for those who read hemmings and enjoy unrealistic pricing---but they were the only source for a long time and supplied a good product...

10. fordor41

fordor41

My cousin pull a drag link on his '47 Ford from Macs. It flexed when the wheels were turned but that was a few years ago. Personally I buy mine off "that auction site", NOS only

11. Lots of things for machine tools are made in Argentina, probably a vestige from the days of the Nazis hiding out there. You should be fine with it.

FWIW, centerlinks for OT cars are really up there in price, so I'd jump at one for $139.

Bob

12. dangulo

dangulo

Thanks to all for the replies.

bobss396 - $139 is a killer price. They are out of stock at the moment. Looked at rare parts as I understand american made and $187 which is not far from others.

13. low merc51

low merc51

I just got a center link for my 51 merc from Dennis Carpenter $125 plus the ride !!

14. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

http://www.performancenowdirect.com/servlet/the-ALL/s/501/Categories

Center Link 1939 - 1941 Mercury
    Performance Now! is offering performance front end and steering parts for American classic cars!... For sale here is a new center / drag link for the 1939 - 1941 Mercury... We do our best to bring you parts from American suppliers and reputable sources, so our parts are only available in small...
    Price: $166.75

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Its chromed?