Register now to get rid of these ads!

'51 Pontiac .. from OHIO

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Luke4554, Jul 27, 2012.

1. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Hopefully you get to use it for your wedding! My 60 was my wedding car and it makes so you never have to sell it!

2. 1badbaker

1badbaker

Good luck, and hope the weather gets better so you can get some miles on her.

3. Luke4554

Luke4554

It drives!!

Drove it around the block a few times Saturday afternoon!! I was literally shaking when i got back into the driveway from pure adrenaline. After 9 months of hard work i finally got to take it out on the road and drive it. I didnt stray far from the house but none the less it felt great.

Only took it up to about 40mph but i was able to get it shifted through all three gears and back down without problems. I was able to turn it both directions with no rubbing issues and didnt notice any noises or sketchy sounds.

I plan on driving it around close to the house for the next couple days to make sure we're all good to go and prepare the car for the weekend. I dont have any videos yet of it driving .. but i snapped some pictures of it while it was outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.. and a artsy instagram photo ..

[​IMG]

Im going to try and get a video this week if i have time to..!!

Luke :D :D :D

4. n847

n847

Awesome congrats! Looks great outside!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. yep, congratulations, your Poncho is alive! great! looking pretty good, buddy!

6. old injun

old injun

looks great ...hope the weather holds out for you

7. Luke4554

Luke4554

Thanks guys .. it feels really great knowing all of the work is paying off. All of the motivation ive received from the hamb has been a big help to keep me moving forward and putting in long hours. After sunday i can finally breathe and start enjoying driving her around town.. ;)

Luke

8. SoCal

SoCal

Congrats man. Looks great

9. cmarcus

cmarcus

You built my dream car. Congrats from a fellow 27 yr old in the Midwest :) Hopefully we will cross paths at some point, somehow. I agree with you it is always great to have fellow HAMB'ers in your network. Looks awesome man. Keep it up!

10. castleman1111

castleman1111

ya, when ya get close to done......ya keep thinkin....did i forget something???....lol!! sounds like you got everything done!!! congrats!!! ((((}A{))))

11. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Congrats! It looks great in the light!!!!

12. Luke4554

Luke4554

Rented a trailer and im towing her up to Columbus tomorrow morning. She's patiently waiting in the garage. Ill throw some lead additive and gas in it tomorrow and cross my fingers everything goes to plan for Saturday. I think shes up for the task but we'll see. Im excited and relieved for it to all be over so i can finally relax! The wedding photographer will have our pictures back to us less than a week from the wedding day so if i get some good ones ill post them up so you guys can see em.

Say a prayer for me .. im still anxious.

Luke

13. rodl

rodl

Hey Luke, you've done a great job so far, looks like you've ticked all the boxes, so the trip should be a soda! Best wishes for the trip and congratulations on the wedding.
    RodL

14. cmarcus

cmarcus

Luke - what's makin you more anxious - the towing, or the wedding!?:p

If the wedding, you'll be great. Best decision I ever made was marrying my wife.

Towing, take 'er easy, and don't rush. You'll be all good my friend. Saying a prayer :)

15. Luke4554

Luke4554

Haha not necessarily anxious about the wedding or the towing per se I think it's more about the reliability of the car and not having any issues throughout the day. Thank you for the kind words I'll check back in on Sunday with an update!

Luke

16. n847

n847

Congrats man! Hope you have favorable weather!

17. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Good luck! Keep us posted..

18. jmh

jmh

Looks GREAT Luke.. Real nice stance!! DONT.. DONT.. DONT.. Chop it!! PLEASE!!! John

19. Luke4554

Luke4554

Duuummm dum duh dummm ... Duuummm dum duh dummm

.. ok anyways

Everything went AMAZING!! Thanks for all of the good luck wishes and prayers. Couldnt have asked for better weather saturday in columbus. High 40's and sunny with virtually no clouds!! The car ran great .. got a ton of horn honks going down the road with my wife next to me and lots of thumbs up. It felt really great getting everything done in time and the overall response to the car was absolutely awesome. Im so thankful everything went off without a hitch! We got some really great pictures from what i can tell with the car so as soon as i get the proofs back from the photographer this week i will definately post them up. Provided im not already in Kauai :p ;) .. in which case you will just have to wait!

Super pumped and stress free now!!

Now its time to enjoy it and put some miles on her ..!! Been hastling my dad to work on his pick up so i may have a 47 ford project in my near future that i can work on in my free time.

Updates to come...

Thanks again everyone!!

Luke :cool:

20. n847

n847

Congrats...I'll be looking foreward to the pics...have a good honeymoon! Better start pumping fluids now!

21. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Congratulations Luke, on the car and the wedding,keep bugging your dad like mine used to do( come on dad come on dad pppllleeeeeaaasssseee ) you know the drill:D good luck and happy crusin. Jack

22. cmarcus

cmarcus

Congratulations brother! So glad to hear everything went so well!

Enjoy the honeymoon. Trust, me, been married for 5 years now, and I don't even know where they went! But best 5 years of my life. Now we are planning our 5 year anniversary vacay!

All the best!

23. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Luke may you and your wife have many healthy,happy and prosperous years together.I have been married for 35 years.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

24. mob53

mob53

Congrats on the marriage brother! Glad everything worked out well. Looking forward to the pics.

25. SoCal

SoCal

Great to hear. Well done on the car and congratulations on the wife!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  26. kalthans

kalthans
    from Dallas, TX

hey Luke,

first of all, you deserve mad props for the way you've gone after the resto of your Chieftain. i'm thoroughly impressed with not only your tech skills but your commitment to quality. i know you say in your build thread that you're a very impatient guy, but you seem like the Dali Lama compared to my hasty demeanor.

anyway, if you don't mind i have a few questions as i approach my own Chieftain build (i bought a chopped and lowered one off a HAMBer but it still needs a lot of work). and please, tell me if you do mind...since i'm a bit of a newb to this i might end up bugging you to death if you are nice enough to answer....

first on the agenda is the interior...the exterior is good and it is mechanically sound, so i want to get the inside cleaned up so my woman feels good about riding in it, just like you. so, my first question is: how'd you get your dash items off? i want to yank everything to clean up some dents and rust but also to get what gauges i can working, including the speedo. are they held on with screws from behind? clips? any tips on getting stuff out? i know you have the original powertrain in yours, so the speed and 6volt gauges weren't a problem, but i've got a 350/350 setup in mine, so i'm going to assume the speedo might be the only part of the original cluster that i can use. if i end up yanking the tube radio out of there complete (big sucker! saw it when i crawled under the dash!), do you want it? i probably won't be using any of it in my build.

do you have any pictures or info on how the headliner transitions into the windows and pillars? since mine has been chopped 6" the interior supports are all bare and chewed up in places. i've been scouring the internet looking for detailed images of the roof and such, but they are few and far between.

also, any resources for resto/repro parts would be appreciated.

again, great work. you're lucky to have an old man like your Dad to impart the skills to do such things to a car.

good luck

k

27. Luke4554

Luke4554

Well i havent purchased the rights to all of the pictures yet .. but here are some of the ones that we have already. Figured i would throw a few up.

Theres about 700 more lol of the rest of the day .. but here are a few glam shots of the car and my wife and I with it. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cant wait to see some of the pictures of us leavin' the church .. it was super sunny and we had a good crowd so they should turn out really nice. Im so relieved everything went well and looks great!

Thanks for all of the support!

Luke :cool:

28. n847

n847

The ohio shot is cool and are those blue "suede" shoes?

29. Luke4554

Luke4554

Ha not sure if theyre suede .. they are definately blue though! Im sure there is some sort of funny chick name for the type of material that was used to make it sound expensive.

Luke

30. kalthans

kalthans
    from Dallas, TX

oh, congrats, man!!!! you lady is stunning and you're lookin' sharp.

well done!