Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring Question. HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kensey, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Hi all,

I am finishing my first complete wiring job on my model A and have run into one problem.

Background info: 6 volt system, almost stock model A. I installed a small fuse box, and an after market column mount turn signal.

Problem: Turnsignals work fine when the lights are not turned on. When I turn the lights on they quit blinking??? Yes, I have dual element bulbs in.

One thing I did that I question: I have my headlights and taillights (not the blinkers) wired to the same terminals on my headlight switch. Is that ok to do? Didn't seem like it would be an issue.

Or, maybe I need to check to make sure the blinkers are blinking on the correct element and not on the same element as the taillights. Is that even possible?

Please, any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Kensey

2. upspirate

upspirate

Make sure you have a good ground

3. Marcel8u

Marcel8u

Did you follow a schematic?

4. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

need more info, there are several different turn signal styles with diff, nbr of wires, so how many on yours, and what colors, there was another thread on here that showed the schematic for each of the different styles,, just not sure where, but you can search, its not hard.

5. Willie_B

Willie_B

Check your ground at each socket. If you have done paint work then the screw that holds the assy. in may not have a good ground. I have also had the socket not have a good ground to the surrounding metal of the assy.

6. 36Delux

36Delux

It sounds like you're trying to flash the taillight element and not the brake light element. The brake light wire should go from the brake switch to the turn signal switch, then the left and right signal wires to the respective brake light element.

7. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I had the same problem, it was the ground in one of the taillights. Check that.

8. X2

You have a grounding problem, more than likely the signal filaments are grounding thru the tail light filaments.

When you turn the lights on the tail light circuit is powered and can no longer
    serve as a ground.

9. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

OK, don't bust my balls to bad if I did this horribly wrong. Was the only piece I didn't have a diagram on, thought it was a no brainer. Ha, my actually be a "no brainer" in my case.

The red boxes represent screw terminals.

Here's what I did:
    [​IMG]

10. your empty lug should be the power in to the switch...as it is now ,you have no fuse in the light system

11. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

You need to couple up the low beams on a single lug and the high beams on another lug then the tail lights on a single lug too. Use the rear most lug for your 6v in lug the switch will distrubet the voltage to the lugs that way. I am assuming you are not using a dimmer switch, if you are then I NEED TO START OVER. is the switch marked at the terminals? N.N.

12. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

OH! I thought the terminals were in and out. I was running them through the switch to the fuse box for power.

So I power the switch, then each terminal can power a light set right?

Rear two will be: lo-beams on one, tail lights on the other.
    Front two: hi-beams one one, one empty.

Does this make sense?

No dimmer. I don't think the terminals are marked.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!
    Viva La HAMB

13. stakebed

stakebed
    from White, SD

No one else has mentioned it, but your hi and low headlight wires should not be going to the headlight switch. You should have 1 wire feeding out of the headlight switch to a dimmer switch, where the high and low wires will be switched. If you look closely at the switch it should be labeled for which wire goes where. I agree that the unused terminal is probably the power input so the power goes through the fuse. Other terminals may be marked H or head for the headlight feed to the dimmer switch, T or tail for tail lights,
    D or dash for dash lights, P or park for front park lights. I would suggest pulling the switch and looking for the markings on it.

14. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

No dimmer switch. My light switch pulls out two notches. Figured that was hi & low beams?

I'm really not at dumb/dangerous as this post is making me sound. This is just my first full wire job.

15. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I would add a dimmer sw,, low beams go together into one side, high beams go together on the other side of the dimmer, then to your switch, the first notch on your switch is just for parking lights, then all the way out is for lights, you need a dimmer, also check out this site: http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/turn_signal.htm

16. stakebed

stakebed
    from White, SD

If your switch pulls out 2 notches it is like a normal cars headdlight switch. The first notch turns on the park, tail and dash lights , the second notch powers the headlights as well. This style switch requires a dimmer switch to switch from hi to lo beams. If you don't want a separate dimmer switch, I see speedway sells a Painless brand headlight switch that has 4 positions, all the way in, everything is off, 1 notch out is park,tail dash, 2 clicks out is lo beam, 3 clicks out turns on the hi beam. Check speedway's web site, they have this switch shown and they show the wiring diagram for it as well. You may want to go this route if you already have your wires for the hi and low routed to the headlight switch. Jim

17. The two notches on the pull switch are for park and tail,dash on first notch,,tail,dash and headlights on second notch...Install a dimmer,,do it properly..

18. birdman42

birdman42

The first pull is for tail and running lights only.The second notch is for headlights and running lights.You need a dimmer switch.

19. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

This is perfect. Gonna do it correctly, I just wasn't sure what "correctly" was.

Thanks again!

20. There is a little book called how to wire a hot rod or something like that. Its about the size of a little pages books and is orange. Costs about 8.00 bucks. Find one it will help you greatly and is very user friendly. May be Speedway sells them?