Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 60th Anniversary Hot Rod Hill Climb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicks Hot Rod Garage, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Thanks Roger, I'd really like to visit with Don Joy. I talked to Pete Garramone today, he was also at the 53 and 54 hill climbs. The stories I'm gathering are great!

You have LSR, we have the Rocky Mountains!

Do IT!

Thanks, My casa Your casa!

Thank you, your roadster is AWESOME!

2. I sure hope I can make it with the Pontiac. Is there a firm date yet? How do we suck up to the organizer to get a spot? ;-)

3. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

I'd love to come out in the '53 (doesn't have "period" powertrain) to photograph and hang.

Can you post a date? I'm already commited to be on the Salt 9/6 - 9/11.

thanks!

4. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

5. Want to Participate?
    Here are the Class designations.

Body Style

• Roadsters
    • Coupes (model T, A, 32-34)
    • Coupes (35-48)
    • Big Cars (49-54)
    • Sports Car (Allard, Jag, MG) (anyone have a Allard?)
    • Motorcycle (bobber)

Engine

• Banger
    • V8
    • OHV

Registration is OPEN!

If you want to participate in the time trials on the hill, you must pre-register!

Participation spots are limited.

Participant Entries Must Apply with the following:
    Picture of the car or motorcycle, Pre-1955 (period drivetrain)
    Description of car or motorcycle
    Description of driver

Give us details!
    This will be in the event program.

email: [email protected]

Entries already in....

DeLuxe 570c - Roadster/Flathead
    [​IMG]

Scroggs 98D - Coupe/OHV
    [​IMG]

Beers Speedster - Roadster/Banger
    [​IMG]

Bennett 28 - Roadster/OHV Banger
    [​IMG]

DeLuxe 28 - Roadster/OHV Banger
    [​IMG]

Harrison 32 - Roadster/OHV
    [​IMG]

6. Do you have an exact date yet?

7. September 7th or 14th, things on my end are pointing to the 14th. I should have it locked down before the end of the week.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  8. Bummer, 14th rules it out for me.

9. We are also on FaceBook at http://www.facebook.com/HotRodHillClimb Like the page so you can get updates!

Georgetown has invited Hot Rod Hill Climb to participate in their 4th of July Parade. If you are interested please let me know, all cars will have posters for the doors, flags, etc! Lets help support Georgetown for opening their arms to this fantastic event!

PM or send an email to [email protected]

I also created an Event on FB for this.

We are also on Instagram at hotrodhillclimb

Thank you everyone for your overwhelming interest and support!

[​IMG]

10. Some Fun history on Jack Richards from Colorado Motorsports Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

Jack Richards

Jack Richards was born in Denver on August 8, 1921. After graduating from high school in 1939, he moved to Los Angeles, California, where he got a job at McDonnell Douglas installing instruments in DC-3’s. There he purchased a ’29 Model A body and frame and a ’31 Auburn dash and started his roadster. He remained there until the end of the war.

He returned to Colorado in 1946 and discovered another love – motorcycles. Jack became one of Colorado’s racing pioneers with both his roadster and his Harley “74”.

He was a charter member of the Denver Timing Association in 1949. Jack raced on dirt circle tracks at DuPont, and at South Table Mountain in Golden, and on dirt dragstrips in Colo. Springs and Pueblo. He ran top speed races on an asphalt road south of Centennial Race Track and dragstrips in Cheyenne, Wyoming, Julesburg, Colo., Scottsbluff, Neb., and Garden City, Kansas.

Jack won the inaugural Georgetown Hill Climb and drove the only hot rod to beat the sports cars in the Lookout Mountain Hill Climb. He participated in countless motorcycle hill climbs, endurance runs and TT races, bringing home many trophies.

He competed in the 2nd annual Bonneville Nationals in 1950, and raced there through 1955 with a fuel burning flathead which was the fastest flathead in his class in 1955.

At Lowery Air Force base on May 31, 1954, Jack became the first person in Colorado to exceed 100 mph in the ¼ mile in a roadster. He was the 3rd person overall, following only the Kenz & Leslie dragster and a fuel burning motorcycle.

He raced at the first NHRA Nationals in Great Bend, Kansas in 1955 and had low ET in his class. Bill Kenz and Roy Leslie asked Jack to be a crew member with their streamliner at Bonneville. As such, he helped tune the three flatheads to a record of 272 mph in 1957.

His roadster was back at the Salt Flats in 1958 with a 347ci Pontiac. Having only a mild Isky cam and 6 Stromberg 97’s, Richards ran 151 mph.
    Jack was asked by the staff at CDR to help run the drag races when it opened in 1959. He classified the hot cars and motorcycles in the mornings and in the afternoon ran the street eliminator bracket. He carried out those responsibilities until 1972 when CDR closed.

Jack built another ’29 roadster for Bonneville with a blown 302ci Chrysler. In 1966, he set a record in B/Gas Roadster of 183 mph. The same engine was used in his Bantam bodied altered roadster, which ran both fuel & gas at CDR, Rocky Mountain and Bandimere. In 1965, Jack and four of his friends were among the first to put their Hot Rods on the street in Denver. They were the charter members of the Denver Roadsters.

In 1981, Jack joined the Early Ford V8 Club, and joined the Flatheaders in 1991. He was also a charter member of the National Street Rod Association (1972). Jack was one of the best in Colorado when it came to building and making a flathead run. He was one of the few people to gain the full confidence of Bill Kenz and Roy Leslie. He also helped many other drag racers in the Denver area build and tune their Ford flatheads, and was still helping drag racers at Bandimere Speedway until he passed away in 2001.

[​IMG]

11. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Very cool event Mike!!! I wish you had done this two years ago when I still lived in Denver.

Anyways, hopefully someone will tell Eric about it since he is BANNED.

Tex

12. Hey Tex! Good reason to come back and visit!

Eric is in the loop, we have a FB page http://www.facebook.com/HotRodHillClimb

13. Hey Mike! You announced it, cool!!!

Looking to be super cool by the looks of those rides now entered. I wish I had my 32 roadster now looking at that bad ass brown one.

I want to try and make it. Not sure yet if I'd fly in and help you, or drive in and tow my Indian. I'll figure it all out as I go. I have a 29 roadster build that we Oilers hope to get to Sweden this August. I'm sure it would be too costly to tow a car to Colarado with my other endeavors. But I could drag the 39 Chief easily enough.

It has always sounded fun since the birth of this idea, but it is sure looking like a great time now. Gentlemen start your engines! Good luck, here if you need me brother Mike.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. Mel!
    So great to have you as part of this!! Had it not been for you, the Oilers, and Race of Gentlemen the Hot Rod Hill Climb would not be happening. EPIC!

Send me pics and details on the Indian! You'll be the first Bike in the show!

I'm working with Dave Barker at SpeedMetal here in Englewood to round-up the motor bikes, Dave is building an aluminum Pan frame for his Born Free 5 entry right now.

I appreciate your support and encouragement! I'll be in touch!

15. Elrod

Elrod

This is going to rule.....

.....only 850 miles away... hmm....

16. I would love to have Texas represent! Make the trip!

Come see us at the Round-Up!

17. Elrod

Elrod

Yeah. I'll be at the round up, so if you see me, tap me on the shoulder and say hi! Would love to meet you.

18. Sure, but I don't know what you look like! Will you have a big ? On your shirt?
    HaHa!

I'll be selling shirts & handing out handbills for the event.

Look forward to meeting you!

19. Elrod

Elrod

I'm sure we will bump into each other...

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

There's always the HAMB Meet & Greet.

21. Brilliant!!

22. This is really going to be something special. I mentioned it to Emily (wife) this morning and she said "...well, it looks like we're going to Colorado. Woohoo!"

23. Awesome!!! CACTUS is coming!!! Emily just made my day!!

24. CHECK this out!!!

Dave's Dad, Don Scroggs won this trophy in 1954 at the Georgetown Hot Rod Hill Climb! He was teamed up with Cal Kennedy in a 1934 Chevy Roadster powered by a 12 port Wayne topped six!

[​IMG]

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That's a wonderful old trophy! It even has the time? They must have had the engraver on site the day of the awards to pull that off. 2:45 is also a pretty long run for solo events, how would that compare with what is planned this time? 2:45 is also exactly my microwave's popcorn setting! You could make your run and have a hot snack when you got back! LOL Gary

26. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Mike
    Has a date been set yet?

What are registration fees?

27. That's so cool! Shame it won't be on dirt this year tho, still going to be a great event!

28. Elrod

Elrod

Very cool. It would rule to remake those trophies and give them out to participants this year.

29. I'm not sure, I'll ask some of the guys that were there. The course is a little shorter for this event. Are you bringing Popcorn?

Awaiting confirmation on September 14th.

Still working on the registration fees and packets. It's going to be reasonable and participants will get some great SWAG!
    • Special Shirt
    • Timing Tags
    • Trophies
    • Poster
    • Program
    Dirt would be cool, still gonna be AWESOME!

Find a dirt road for the next one...

I'm hoping we can do that, I'm on the hunt for trophies!

Jeff Norwell posted this top on instagram..
    [​IMG]

Instagram: hotrodhillclimb

30. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

This is soo cool brother Mike.. Right up my alley. Can't say enough about how cool this is. I am definitely checking the schedule to see if I can make it. Mike, this makes you an enabler.... Yep you are guilty......

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app