Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 grill painted insert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by auto shop, Mar 17, 2013.

1. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

:confused:I have a 32 ford grill insert{stainless steel} that I can not keep the paint from chipping. What are you guy's painting them with or should I have it powder coated? Can stainless steel be powder coated?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. wayne-o

wayne-o

Mine was not stainless (original steel), dissassembled it, bead blasted the bars and painted with paint for wheels including the clear I got from Oreilleys. Has held up well.

3. My sedan has a original insert that I had power coated to match the wheels. HRP

[​IMG]

pecker head likes this.
  4. I used a urethane on my pickup grill,,I have a few chips here and there but the truck has been on the road since 2007. HRP

[​IMG]

5. 19-c

19-c

powder coat that sucker

6. A Boner

A Boner

I'm tempted to spray some rattle can light gray lacquer primer on my stainless 32 grill bars.....just a light coat. It should end up looking like "dove gray". If it starts looking bad, wouldn't lacquer thinner wipe it off? Then it could be resprayed again to renew it's appearance.

7. racemad55

racemad55

Maybe tape off the outside trim with duct tape and lightly glassbead or sandblast bars to give paint some " bite" .

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've had about 10 powder coated over the years. Just taped off the outer stainless an lightly dusted the stainless bars then applied semi gloss powder coat to the bars and it has held up well.

9. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Yep, powder coat works on mine

10. HELLMET

HELLMET

scuff the stainless with red scotch brite then spray can ecth primer then paint .done

11. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Mine looks like a Kaleidoscope when it chips..... It's been many colors over the years.

Ace Premium rattle can is about as good as a touch up gets around here. Good stuff.

Attached Files:

pecker head likes this.
  12. swifty

swifty

My insert was chromed when I got it and I just masked off the surround , etch primed the center and then sprayed it with rattle can satin black. Seems to be holding up fine, have done 7000 country miles with no probs.

13. alchemy

alchemy

If you want French Grey bars, just do this but skip the paint. The blasted stainless should be a close color match, and the same matte finish. And no chipping!

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I was always proud of my chips. That verifies that it is not a trailer queen.:D Perfect hotrods don't get driven.

15. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

I wasn't sure if I wanted the black insert or not on my grill so I used a can of plasti-dip I had laying around. If you've never used it, it's like a rubberized paint and can easily be peeled of but some how manages to be pretty durable and can withstand being sprayed with a pressure washer. doesn't look bad either.

[​IMG]

pecker head likes this.
  16. I powder coated mine...cost me $100. But, if you figure the time and prep, it was money well spent.

17. oj

oj

I'm confused, if you have stainless insert what paint is chipping? the surround?

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

It's stainless that's then been painted over.

19. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I will do the powder coat. Now finding someone in Louisville KY. to a nice job.

20. cvtmqvuj

cvtmqvuj
    from london

I have a few chips here and there but the truck has been on the road since 2007[​IMG]