Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it ok to copy a paint theme? really like this shoebox.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BRENT, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

2. [​IMG]

Really like this one. Will paint our '49 one day when we get back on the road. Thinking about something similar - maybe pull the hood too? At least for temporary...

3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

As the song says "an impression of an original defeats the fucking purpose"... Or in other words us the paint as inspiration for your own creation, not a guide to copy someone elses. Thats what Customs are all about, I would be bummed if I worked hard to create a nice custom one off paintjob and saw another guy that just wen't and completely bit my style. I've seen it first hand, 2 cars from opposite sides of the country happen to be in Tx at the same time, same show last year and what do you know, the exact same "custom" roof patterns. I know for a fact one of those cats was pretty pissed... guess which one.

4. Copying the layout and shape is one thing,but I wouldn't copy the colors too. A HAMBer asked me if he could copy my flames. I sent as many pic's as I had. His are a bit off but I didn't care cause he lives in England,I think it was....maybe it was Australia.

5. BRENT

BRENT

Good thought, I think I will mix it up a little. Possible different colour and licks. I would be bummed to see a copy of my car. Then again look at the flat black craze a couple years back, everybody started running that.

Life would be dull if things were all the same or copied. I think I should have re-worded to "mimmic" lol. My box is chopped, however that alone doesnt make it ok. I do see people build tribute cars on here that are copies of original show cars, so I guess I got to ask whats the difference then?

Brent

6. OK I got a question which may be a little off topic, if I go to a show and see a chopped car is it OK for me to chop mine? What about rolls and pleats?

Just questions here.

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Flip the colors, cream with a gold flame....

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

A good buddy of mine built a cool little show rod type deuce roadster about 4 years ago the featured a SIMILAR paint job to a car a year or two earlier, but in a different layout and shades of colors... Everybody went insane accusing him of copying the car from a year or two earlier when I sinply pointed out they BOTH looked a hell of a lot like a car that was on the cover of Rod & Custom in '62 (which is where we got the inspiration from, but was till different than)... Got quiet 'round here real quick! Everything has been done at some point if it will look good. Be inspired, but don't out and out copy.

9. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Emulation is a form of applause.It is validation to the original.

10. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

A chop top or shaved handles or frenched tail lights are a base a exact paint job is a finished idea rite not sure that is the same thing.

If you have pleats on the seats seams fine if you copy the exact int colors piping ect that would be lame.

If you did all the same body work on 2 cars then painted them totally different the general public would in no way would say its the same with a different paint job.But if you did different body work on 2 different cars then paint them identical the general public woud say they are identical seen it happen befor.

Jake

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  11. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Isn't it more cool to have a car that everyone knows is yours instead of thinking its the other guys car ? Copy the style but not the car and let everyone one know it's you. Just my 2 cents.

12. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Really? Make yourself happy. You can't give a rat's ass what others think.

13. Unless the guy lives a block away from you, have at it. It's your car. Build it the way YOU want to.

14. I'm kinda guilty with my Henry j paint, I think it looks cool but not an exact copy. I'm sure the paint on the other car was a copy of something else too, everything has been done before.

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Better not build an all black hiboy roadster with a red flathead, red and white pleated interior, white top, Merc caps, blackwall bias ply tires, and Guide headlights either, 'cause it's been done already.

And that would be "lame", somebody might get "pissed", and it wouldn't show any "imagination"...lol.

16. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Sounds kinda lame. LOL With no imagination.i would be pissed if I spent all that money on a 32 and that how it turned out lol

Monkey See Monkey Do I guess

Jake

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We Take ideas from somewhere and run with them. I'd say as long as you don't have much chance of being at the same events with that particular car do it. If you live close enough to it that there is a big chance of showing up at the same events then it might not be a cool thing to do.

18. TheRookie

TheRookie
    from Sparks NV

That gold car is from japan, I say do your own style flames and use the same colors. As far as Steve Sellers car it was shipped to japan and fucking ruined. I would totally clone that bitch if I could!

19. TennesseeZ

TennesseeZ

As long as you don't take a stencil from his car, and then claim it's your original inspiration, it's totally ethical to use his work as ma guideline. Nobody's got a poatent on flame paint jobs, just like nobody's got copywrights on the old, old original Mississippi blues, and lots of others that have been passed down thru the years. They're credited as "traditional" Draw inspiration as you see fit, adapt it mto your creation, and be proud of it. Just askuing the question shows where your heart is, and IMHO it's in the right place. Go for it.

20. hot_rod_bones

hot_rod_bones
    from topeka, ks

21. Muttley

Muttley

Whatever you do dont copy his wheel/tire combo. Radirs are cool, WWW's are cool, Radirs and WWW's together are not cool.

22. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

X2 on that.

23. Maybe you are not grasping what I am saying. Long flowing flames have been done and redone and the car pictured is probably not the first car with that color scheme. After a while if you have been around the block or ever left your neighborhood you start to see the same cars over and over again.

You cannot do a roll and pleat that does not copy some other roll and pleat job, nor can you chop one that does not copy someone else's chop. Too many have been done over the years, in too many different places for whatever you do to not resemble or be a copy of something that someone else has done. None of us are going to be the first or the last we are just another piece of sand on the beach.

Here is a story, I had a yellow '64 Chevelle SS once, basically stock body down in the snout and pinstriped. I was living in Camdenton, in Lake Ozark at the same time was a yellow 64 Impalla SS, basically stock body down in the snout and pin striped. Both had identical pin strips, all the way down to the signature. The Impala was bigger because it was an impala but parked side by side they looked pretty close to the same except that the Impala was longer. no one said "Well gee one guy copied the other." It was two different cars with the same basic theme. No one really cared one way or the other.

24. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Maybe you are not grasping what i am saying ,I agree every hing has been done no one is comingup with anything new anymore just repeating in different ways BUT WHY repeat in the same way in the same color with the same car.

Jake

25. So I shouldn't build a black or primered A coupe or maybe I shouldn't build yellow '34? I am with you to a point but it goes back to my original statement, unless the OP is a wizzard the paint is not going to be a match. Hell most guys can'rt even make them match from one side of the car to the other, way less likely they are going to match them from someone else's car.

26. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

I am not sure you are talking the same thing anymore he said copie the colors there are 2 of them and the flame patterns .I said why not do it different and make it his own not that no one in the world can paint there shoe box a copper color because one has been done that way.You can keep stretching it in to something different if you want.I give up lol

Jake

27. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

If you bear in mind that there are no original ideas, that everything has been done before... then nothing matters.....have at it!

28. BRENT

BRENT

I would only be using the style of flames and possibly the colour combo or a variation of the colours. The car is in Japan and I live in Canada, so I don't think I will be running into it any time soon. Also my car is chopped and bagged and I will not be running radirs. I also would be doing something different in the interior of the car. I was wondering more of how it would be thought of to rip off someones flame and colour combo. I figure its all been done before, I would just change it a bit, no harm done.....right?

Brent

29. Right, get to it and flame that automobile !

30. Exactly what swade said.

If someone looks at it and doesn't like it there are probably a thousand other cars within a mile of where they see yours maybe they will like one of those.