Register now to get rid of these ads!

Domino effect

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 17, 2013.

1. you guys know how it works,,the old chain reaction that occurs when a small change causes a similar change nearby, which then causes another similar change, and so on in liner seaquence.

I had recently ordered a original passenger side window regulator for my sedan from Dick Spadaro to replace the bad one that was in the car.

Yesterday afternoon I took every thing loose and installed the new regulator,,lined up the window channel and checked the window by rolling it up and down,,,damn,its binding.

Took everything out checked the glass to make sure it would slide in the window felt and discovered that it's not the glass but the felt had come loose at the bottom and wadded up.:mad:

So now I got to hurry up and wait until I get the replacement,,,

Is it just me or is this type of thing that plagues us all? HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. That's how ground up restorations and builds start.

3. Operation snowball in full effect.

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

While I'm here fixing this I might as well..... replace everything.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My rear axle was too wide and I couldn't find any wheels to fit inside the fenders. So I bought a narrowed 8". That required a new drive shaft so I decided I might was well go to a T5 trans. As long as I had to build a new cross member I decided to move the engine back an inch. As long as I had the hood and fenders off I decided to relocate the front suspension. At the moment it sits with no rear end, no front end, no trans and engine dangling.

I should have looked harder for wheels...

6. Pscott

Pscott

:p Haha, sorry blowby just had to laugh. You should name the car Domino or Snowball now.

7. Fenders

Fenders

THAT is classic !!!

8. DRD57

DRD57

All the time. Add to this the fact that the vast majority of aftermarket parts don't fit without some modification.

Some of the reasons everything takes longer and costs more than expected.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

This in a lot of cases is what causes a runner to become a for-sale dead project for 1/2 the money the car is worth.

10. HRP,

I went to change the bed on my avatar. The fabbed bed on it had a raised floor. So to mount the bed with the floor at original height I have had to move my battery box, the horn(?), change the exhaust and lower the gas tank. Other than that it practically bolted on. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I just fixed the glass runner in the drivers door. Believe it or not I was able to re use my old one after I straighten it. I said what the heck and tried to do it. Be very afraid of the "whileI'matits" be very afraid.:D

12. Danny, the exact thing happened to the coupe when I was putting the regulators in it. You can never fix just one problem at a time anymore it seems. Every small project I undertake seems to change something else and that needs to be addressed and so on an so on and scubby dooby do on.............

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

And then there's outside forces. I hoped to make some progress this weekend however yesterday the wife was doing laundry when the washing machine started banging and walking around on the spin cycle. Drum bearing went out and darned if I'm going to spend hot rod money on a new machine. So today I get to tear that apart instead. Usually it's the daily driver that conks out right in the middle of another project.

14. onedge

onedge

How true it is. Fun with old cars.

15. Somehow this started as a worn out steering box. I've given up trying to figure out how it happened...

[​IMG]

16. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

I'd start telling you guys how it goes for me but the internet isn't big enough to put it all here.

17. Having just finished get the windshield frame back in the car after taking way more time than it should I was thinking this will be a easy hour or so fix,,famous last words! :D HRP

18. A few years back a guy brought me a 36 ford for a little wiring, and a couple floor patches.
    A year and a half and $70,000 later he drove away.........happy!

19. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

It seems that everything in an old ride is linked together.When one thing small is found to be wrong it has reprocussions on ten other things.Remember the butter fly effect,the butter fly beats its wings one time and cause a chain reaction of events around the world..or something like that

20. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

I think its called "hot rod builders law" to fix one thing, you must fix ten more

21. Greezy

Greezy

This is exactly why I sold my 40 coupe after the crank broke. I knew one way or another it would have resulted in a complete redo of the car.

22. atch

atch

i feel your pain:

clarence; autumn of 1991:

removed the 239" flathead/3sp to install a 283/pg
    found broken right front mainleaf
    decided "while i''m at it i'll subframe it"
    investigated front suspensions and decided on aspen/volare
    started changeover & discovered that original steering column would be hard to use
    bought tilt column
    while at the boneyard bought a pair of bucket seats
    went back to installation
    decided that since i'm changing the front lug pattern to 5 on 4.5" i might as well change rear also
    bought mustang 8"
    obviously had to have different driveshaft so found one at boneyard that fit with no modifications
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.
    had it back on the road by 1992 springtime driving season and maiden voyage was to nsra nats in louisville

would i do it over again?

you bet; in a heartbeat.

b-t-w; for you out there who criticize the switch from (running) flathead to sbc: the flatty is still on the stand and might get used in a lighter weight rod down the road. the 283 barely can get out of its own way; the flatty didn't have ANY get-up-and-go at all in a panel truck.

23. lht

lht

yea my luck is so bad it could be rainin pussy and i'd get hit by a hard dick

24. Like the old joke goes,,Damn, if I would have told that!:confused: HRP

25. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Danny If you haven't ordered one yet call me I have a whole door set here.

26. No Harry,, I haven't ordered yet,,I'll shoot you a PM. HRP

27. To quote my dad, "sometimes you have to jack up the radiator cap and slide a new car under it.".

Bob

28. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

When I took my Essex apart two years ago the plan was to simply replace the engine & trans and get it back on the road. Two years later the only stuff I kept were the sheet metal and the bare frame rails.

29. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Get this, I bought a 28/29 model a cowl top and tank in February now I'm buying a car that needs it. Hows that for domino effect?

30. Its because all cars have Six degrees of separation from a previous owner named Murphy.