Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rocket Oldsmobile V8 Information Compiled

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Zaloryan, Jul 10, 2012.

1. jose_luis

jose_luis

does the heads of 1953 303 fits in any side?

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

3. I was flipping through some old Hot Rod Magazines and thought these might be worth adding to the thread. An article from HRM January 1957:

Attached Files:

Madness likes this.
  4. And some Olds advice from Racer Brown in HRM January 1957 as well.

Attached Files:

5. F&J

F&J

^ I was reading page 37 on those scans, and they said "Isky E2 cam" in that motor with 1.5 rockers. Is that E2 the one in the Olds Dealer J2 nascar kit? I thought there was another E number, too.

6. Frank, I don't have any late 50s literature on Olds Dealer options. I'll have to see what I can find online though.
    I'd also like to dig up a same vintage Isky catalogue to compare.

I seem to remember you had a thread about Olds parts for Nascar/Export, trying to identify what (if anything) was what.

7. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Your a Saint! Thank You!. I'm going to be picking up a 62 Olds 394 Starfire engine core to build for my 61 Olds 88 tomorrow, up in Corning Ca.. I had heard there were a few improvements on the 62 over the 61 and I wanted to keep the same water pump/ fuel pump. I actually have a 63 core with the later cover. I also didn't want to disable the car while I built the engine. One of the coolest things I found was they actually built a high compression 2 barrel engine . I will definitely be asking some questions. My plans are to run a Ross Racing OD transmission at this point. But with my indecisiveness that could change.

8. F&J

F&J

Speedy, that was a GM cam tag I was trying to ID. I am thinking it also might be a tag for a stock replacement cam, because there is some info on the web about some early 57's having lobes worn off, under warrantee, when new. I still think there is a slightly better chance it's an export J2 cam, only due to the info about retainers and springs that are on it. I don't know.

I need to find some dealer parts books from 57-64 ..one of these days, I will look for some:rolleyes:

9. This isn't quite tech info, but there are some modification tips in here that I will be using. Worthwhile to add to the thread I think.

From Hot Rod Magazine, January 1956

Attached Files:

10. F&J

F&J

That's pretty cool, Speedy. I went through some of these mods with my 303/40 swap. I've been asked about the tie rod to pan before, and I know mine is close, but I thought it was due to a dented pan bottom. I need to look closer, I guess.

It's a fun swap for sure, and will be so easy if you use a ministarter. Yea, that's not old style, but it seems more practical to me.

I should burn my 32 and get going on the 40. the 40 is not jinxed like the other car is.

11. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

And here's a pic of a 61 -64 Starfire only, Driver side exhaust manifold. It only works with floor shift cars supposedly. There a 200-250.00 part all day long if you find one.
    [​IMG]

12. F&J

F&J

Floor shift? as in A/T? as there were column shift standards only I would think?

Now, is the difference in the way it leaves room for clutch linkage? or A/T linkage?...I'm thinking it might be for the odd clutch linkage that runs outside the top firewall?

subneil56 likes this.
  13. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

No, all 61 -64 Starfires were console floor shift automatics. No column shift linkage to get in the way. From what i can see on mine it would hit the linkages.

14. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

!964 Jetstar 1 was available with a 3 speed column shift, basically this was a cheap Starfire. It had a 345hp 394 with a console, I have no idea what it had for an exhaust manifold. I know the fellow who purchased this Olds when new. Jack Thomas. a h.a.m.b. member, bought the car from a used car lot in our area years ago. I doubt that he would remember any of the particulars since it was so long ago but I'm sure he would help with any info he had.

15. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

My friend has a 64 Jetstar ! with the 330 Olds later style engine in it and I have pics somewhere.

16. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

1964 Jetstar 88's came with the 330, 1964 Jetstar 1's all had the 394. In 1965 the Jetstar 1 got the 425.

17. I was actually comparing some of the article, to parts from your build thread. It was interesting to see how many things were similar. Sure looked like a fun build, though, I'd be happy with even a stock 40. :D

I have two good starters for my 324, so I think when I put the engine in, I'm going to use one of those, and modify it like they suggest in the article. I can always switch it out for a Ross ministarter at a later date.

I think that deuce is going to be worth it in the end. But if you decide to 'burn' it, I can always burn it up here north of the border. You know, less stringent burning practices and such. :rolleyes: :p

18. Edwho

Edwho
    from washington

not sure Im doing this right or am in the right place to ask. Im trying to find the torque and torqueing pattern for the #16 heads on a 58 olds 371 J2, excellent info you've compiled

19. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

70 ft pounds. Just start in the middle and work your way out,alternating on each side of center.

20. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I can appreciate the effort you put into this, but who said that Buick nailhead rocker arms would work on an Olds? Not even close!

21. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

The same person who started the wives tales about olds and caddy rockers being the same.....or that a early caddy lower bell bolts directly on an olds for a starter changeover.

saltracer219 and jebbesen like this.
  22. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

According to the factory parts books, there were two different long Starfire-style LH exhaust manifolds for 394. I've had several, but mine seemed all the same. I never knew what the physical difference was. And by now, I've forgotten what the difference in description was (I'm kind of thinking one was auto and one was manual tranny though??? I think that might have been it... The info's in the factory parts books, but you still have to have both in your hands to know the actual difference).

The Jetstar I also had the Starfire engine, and had that long LH exhaust manifold.

Don't confuse that with the Jetstar 88 which only had a 330 and not a 394 (but on a side note, if you ever see a '64-7 330 in the junkyards, it's got a cool part... a steel crank that the 350/403 Olds guys want)

23. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

I have that manifold on my 61 2dr sedan with a column shift and it works fine.

24. Areopagitica

Areopagitica

Wanted to paste a link to your compendium of Early Olds information, but highlighting and clicking does not seem to work on internal HAMB threads. Perhaps you would simply visit my FB site, Looking Back Racing and drop what might be called a cookie there? Thanks.

25. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Wondering if anyone knows about the trick to keep the dual range hydromatic in first gear longer? Something like putting a dime under the spring which determines the shift point for first gear....
    My car....

26. Are you asking about the modification to keep the Hydro in first without it shifting to second? Or are you asking about just delaying the 1-2 shift?

From what I've read about delaying the 1-2 shift, the 'hot' mod back in the 50s was to put three (3) spark plug washers underneath the plug on the governor spring.

Though, I haven't done this myself, so I can't attest. Only what I've read from guys older and wiser than I. :)

27. pgj

pgj
    from aurora co.

My 64 jetstar 1 (394) has a jetaway in it and it's completly different than a slim jim.

28. rocket 303

rocket 303

many thanks for these informations

29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

haven't seen many pictures of these here

this is a McCulloch Supercharger setup I'm piecing together for a 324 Olds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. That's nice, Paul!