Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dolsen37, Mar 15, 2013.

1. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

For any of you T5 experts out there I have (what I think is) an issue with a rebuilt T5 WC-S10 combo. I noticed the problem when I installed the drive shaft for the first time and with the back wheels off of the ground I rotated the drive shaft by hand. I noticed a dragging feel when rotating that felt like the transmission was almost in gear but not quite. I recently pulled the transmission to install a new pilot/input shaft busing in the crank. When I had the trans on the floor I grabbed and held the input shaft and rotated the tail shaft and noticed the same feeling (reminds me of a trans that is trying to catch a gear but not quite in gear all of the way). I tried pulling the input shaft out away from the housing (would be toward the crank if trans was in car) and the trans rotated smoothly feeling normal. I then pushed the input shaft back toward the tail of the trans and rotated the tail shaft and it worsened and the feeling was back. I tested this all in neutral. Any ideas out there? I have contacted a transmission guy to have him take a look but thought I'd throw it out there for you guys.

Thanks
    dolsen37

2. Sounds like a shift fork is bent...............common because there are no stops to prevent "over shifting"

3. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

If it just feels tight then one of the syncro rings is grabby, usually wrong oil.
    WC T5's use ATF

If it feels like it is trying to engage [clunky feel ], too much end play in the shafts.

4. You are using ATF instead of gear oil aren't you? HRP

5. agree with Kerrynzl.

6. Snarl

Snarl

Improper front bearing shims?

not actually rebuilt?

not rebuilt correctly?

7. Puddin Head

Puddin Head
    from Mason, Oh

Shouldn't be any slop more than .012 on the input shaft. Not enough shims in the bearing retainer if its that sloppy.

8. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Thanks guys this is what it feels like and I was thinking end play and shims myself. I do appreciate the technical advice and I'll pass it on to the Transmission Tech.

9. Have you checked the length of inputshaft. T 5 shaft is slightly longer than Muncie so theres a chance that inputshaft can bottom in the crankbushing and press the shaft back. I had to take about 1/8" off of mine.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  10. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

All fixed up, problem was in 5th gear. Had the thing gone through again even though it was mostly new inside. Thanks again HAMBERs for the feedback.

Dan