Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Distributor choices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buelligan, Feb 22, 2013.

1. buelligan

buelligan

thinking about upgrading the distributor in a 40 ford flatty, who makes the best set-up?

2. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Are you looking for vintage or modern ?what year of flathead ? 6or8?

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

4. X2 on Bubba, got one in both of my cars.

5. buelligan

buelligan

sorry V8 '40 ford 85hp STOCK vintage or mod looking for options, would rather stay with vintage

6. Bubba is a good choice, or I'm running a MSD Ready to Run, and have been for 14,000 miles with no issues.

7. no55mad

no55mad

Running an older Mallory dual point on a 46 block but the factory curve was way off!

8. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

The old crab style is hard to beat. you'll have some changes to make, 2 bolt to 3 bolt. Adapter needed for shorter cam nose.

9. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Vintage Mallory or Harmon and Collins duel points. Vintage Mallory points,rotors and caps are still available ( mold is still good) and there easy to adjust and maintain.

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'm with what Larry W said. Swap out the front cover, get the cam adapter from Speedway,..and the Mallory crab is an easy install.

4TTRUK

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The '40 type distrib as used in 1941 (look for "11" stamped on rear of shaft) had same curve and points as crb and would be an excellent setup, with good points. Good and absolutely horrible points are available...
    The crab swap gives you easier access and service, and can be removed and replaced really quickly for service and timing...the bulk of the helmet type makes service a bit annoying and makes quick R&R difficult.

12. blackbeard40

blackbeard40
    from Maryland

I just converted an crab distributor on my 8ab 46 flathead using a new Pertronix electronic conversion kit #1285SL. So far so good. Chech their web site

13. flatout51

flatout51

The stock 46-48 "rams horn" 2 bolt style is dual point and works great! You will need, like other have said, a new front cover and the cam adapter but it works perfectly. I tried the mallory but could never get it to run right... Went back stock and I'll never change it.

14. I have been using an original '40 Ford divers helmet type on my flathead for 12 years with no problems. I have modified the vacuum advance otherwise stock dual point dist. I never service it in the car. I keep a rebuilt unit in my shop and I just swap them when service time comes up. Takes about 15 min. Then go over the used one in my leisure. Also I converted to 12 volts to eliminate problems.