Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear suspension idea, need some input

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hron13, Mar 16, 2013.

1. hron13

hron13
    from sandy eggo

So I have an Idea for the rear suspension on my modified im building.

-posies quarter elliptical springs, the full kit with shackles and such
    -an unsplit but shortened set of 36 rear bones (reinforced along the sides to handle the POWAH of the motor I'm running)
    -and possibly a snout mounted panhard rod if it's necessary

so as far as all that nonsense goes does this suspension sound decent? I am going to brace the ever loving crap out of the stock bones. Will I need the panhard rod, or should i be fine with the wishbone?

if you have any suggestions I'm all ears, if you have any ideas for a better rear suspension keep in mind I'm building a traditional looking lakes modified and as such the axle will be firmly wedged right behind my seat, so 4-link is out of the question.

2. hron13

hron13
    from sandy eggo

bump could really use some input guys

3. hron13

hron13
    from sandy eggo

nearly 140 people have nothing to say lol, alright then guess this design will work like i thought it would

4. Patience.......the guys that really know this shit might actually have something to do. I can guess if you want..........Yeah sure sounds like a great idea.:D

5. No panhard rod, the 1/4's will handle the location just fine (see Bugatti). You may want an anti-roll bar, unless your suspension is stiff, then that is also probably unnecessary.

Cosmo

6. hron13

hron13
    from sandy eggo

the quarters can handle location even when using shackles and not being strapped straight to the axle?

7. Beau

Beau

With 1/4 leaves, spending money on a set of 35/36 bones would be a waste, only to cut them up. The main reason people run them is because they have the spring hangers built in.

The bones are two pieces from the factory.

8. hron13

hron13
    from sandy eggo

Thats fine, however with all that said, will the suspension work? plain and simple.
    I suppose im going for the more modern interpretation of a lakes mod then, rpu cab, with the axle located almost right behind said cab

9. Beau

Beau

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  10. Beau

Beau

11. hron13

hron13
    from sandy eggo

Thanks man this stuff will all help

12. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

No reason not to work. It can move up and down, and the shackles take care of the different radii of movement 'twixt springs and hairpins.

The springs will stop lateral axle movement pretty good.

13. JEM

JEM

I wouldn't think so, but then I'd also try to use a longer Panhard.

What do you gain from a shackle in this case vs putting a bracket on the housing to carry the rear eye of the spring (which would provide adequate lateral location)?

14. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Looks like you really don't want help just acceptance. Several builders have looked and not answered............ "FOR A REASON"

Just so I do not waste a bunch of words here's a great bit of advice. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Feel free to print this out and fill in the blanks.

15. JEM

JEM

16. hron13

hron13
    from sandy eggo

And this is why I don't normally even post on this forum. I'm not trying to get acceptance ass hole I'm just trying to see what people who know more than I do think of what I'm trying to do, so I don't end up with a rediculously unsafe death trap.

17. Suspension should work just fine. With the unsplit bones you shold not need a panhard bar. You could have one anyway. If you are running an open driveline you may consider a short torque bar or top bar if you will, if you build it in a triangle with a central forward locator and located on either side of the punkin, you will give yourself a combination panhard and torque arm in one unit.

18. hron13

hron13
    from sandy eggo

thanks for the input, I was definitely thinking a torque arm would be a good idea, ill start doodling up some designs

19. JEM

JEM

With an open driveline and a torque arm (flexible front pivot) you can definitely ditch the shackles and move the rear spring eyes to the axle housing.

I'm working up the rear suspension design for what I'm calling the 'flatiron' (when the frame rails are done I'll start a build thread and you'll see why...) floating cantilever half-elliptics like that '26 Buick in the link:

[​IMG]

but with the springs under the axle, plus a torque arm and a Watts. Some would argue the Watts is overkill but the only part that'll be visible will be the low-mounted springs.

Hrmmm...another pic:

[​IMG]

20. It should be fine as long as the frame mount for the QE spring does not allow the spring pack to rotate side to side (sorry, I don't know what the "full kit" is...).

Also, make sure the shackles end up close to vertical off the axle when it all installed.

21. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Sometimes function follows form. Just use hard bias plies so cornering is never a concern.

22. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Yep about what I expected!
    I looked at your posts before responding. You tried to bait us into responding to your thread. (140 of you) comment was a clue! First thing I saw in your history was 30 posts "EVERY ONE ON THREADS THAT YOU STARTED."
    You were told repeatedly that you need to do some research on your own.
    You have made no effort to be part of the community rather a leach that simply comes for a free meal! You have never ever posted on another members thread. ITS ALL ABOUT YOU! sad but true.
    0 FRIENDS showing and NO ALBUMS says a lot about who you are!
    You are right about the asshole part!
    I am a 57yo asshole car builder that does not waste his time giving away what he busted his ass, back, knuckles, eyes, etc to learn, to some young leach that's to lazy to do his own work.
    I wish you well with this so called Modified that you say you are building, however I need t get back to the REAL MODIFIED that I just took time away from. Yeah you know the one on MY BUILD THREAD.

23. Beau

Beau

Fastrnu, Sounds like you need more shop type to chill out a little bit. The search is tough for new people. Google will search this forum easier than the search function. It took me like 4 minutes to find the information I posted, and it wasn't easy to find. I knew what I was looking for, too. It took you just as long to waste time writing those posts.

It's "leech", by the way, and I really like your build.

24. The McMullen Roadster used qtr elips and split wishbones and ran fine. Had more HP than you will probably ever see.

25. oj

oj

There is room for 4 link.

26. 54rat210

54rat210

27. hron13

hron13
    from sandy eggo

... You need to relax, I'm not trying to leech off any one, and Beau was really helpful, I had been looking for Info on my own using google for almost 2 days worth of computer time (thats not like 5 minutes just FYI). In all that time i never found anything that would fit my application, Beau sent me some good info and Im changing my game plan because of it.

And just because I don't make time to post on here often doesn't mean i deserve to get shit on if I have a question

28. metalman

metalman

I wouldn't use a short panhard mounted to the center of the rear. Short panhards do put some side movement to the axle as it travels up and down, the shorter the bar the more it moves. With the 1/4 elliptics resisting sideways movement it will bind. I'm also not seeing eleminating the shackles with long radius arms if they are mounted solid to the axle, the arms and springs would try to traveling a different arc and something would have to give. If the spring piviots on the axle with no shackle the radius arm will have to pivot on the axle as well as the frame end. Down side is your pinon angle would change as it travels up and down as well but probably not enough to matter.