Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for traditional hot rod in

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tedders, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Tedders

Tedders

Advice on good hot rods for taller guys, options on getting the low look without losing all the room in the cockpit.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

WRONG place for that bud. Try the wanted section?

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ha! Stay out of Bantam pickups, I'm starting to get a buldge in my roof above my head. I haven't a lot of experience but in general with pickups you can't recline the seats like you can in a car. The other thing that I believe guys do is have a rod you can drop the floor boards in to keep your knees out of your face. I'm SOL on that idea too, frame in the way.

4. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Tudor Sedans or Sedan Delivery with seat set back would give you some leg room
    even with a lowered lid. Later larger coupes- Buick, Olds etc. are another way though
    not much available in repo or aftermarket parts. Just a couple of thoughts. Jim

5. A Boner

A Boner

You are way ahead of lots of hot rod builders. You have identified a common problem, before you start building, and not 3/4 the way through the build, when trying to install seats. It is always nice to look through your windshield, and not over it!

6. Nothing chopped,,take it from a 6'4" guy. HRP

7. Tedders

Tedders

This is the onetime I'm not happy with being tall lol..well this and airplanes.

8. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I've made this a key part of my set up. I'm 6'2" and HATE being scrunched up, so I'll be basing some of my frame and cab measurements on leg and foot room, plus getting my butt down low so I can look thru the windshield. It's got to be taken into account right away, at the frame set-up stage. I've been doing my prelims with the seat on the floor and then both elongating the cowl/firewall and the seat back areas to make enough room to stretch out.

9. Tedders

Tedders

so facing the facts about 6"5 of me in a traditional rod..unless i start from scatch not gonna happen..in the middle of trying to make a purchase will share if it happens..i think i have found a good plan B

10. What are you trying to buy?

BTW,,35 to 48 Ford coupe & sedans that are not chopped would work well,,I'm 6' 4" and I've had several 40 Fords,both sedans & coupes. HRP

11. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I'm 6ft 2 and had a 29mode l a 2 door sedan. It was tight.

12. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I'm 6'6", fit fine in my 53 chev truck, thinner seat back and relocated tank. 6'8" friend drives a 40 dodge coupe, brother has a 29 Essex that is roomy. There are a lot of available cars. I even sat in a 32 ford roadster that fit, and of course almost all the mid fiftys cars are great. If you want 20s to 30s, stay away from chopped and channeled coupes, but sedans and longer roofed cars will all work fine.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

6'4". Unchopped coupe or extended cab truck model A. Or sedan obviously. The more you channel, the unhappier a tall guy you will be.
    Rode to Vegas in Joe T. Creeps 34 chopped channeled 34 truck, extended cab, but my legs were out the window most the trip

14. I'm North of 6'2" and have tons of room in my '37 Slantback. Not so much in the '31. :mad:
    My buddy just finished a Deuce roadster. He used a modified Caravan middle seat pushed as far back and down as he could get it and also uses a tilt column. He's comfortable in the car with his 6'6" frame.

15. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Just lower the suspensioin & get big wheels. My MPV seat reclines & makes for alot of room & Im 6'1, 6'5 You'll be allright.

FYI: Have a low seat & working pedal is hard on your back & knees. That's why RatRodders build their 2nd car more stock.

16. Tedders

Tedders

I will find out today if the purchase is final..there will be no issues for room anymore lol

17. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

I have 4.75" cut out of my 32 PU. Sitting on medium density foam, and I fit fine. well..... With a head liner itd be tight but the bare roof its all good.

Im 6'3. :D

18. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

He's looking for"Advice on good hot rods for taller guys, options on getting the low look without losing all the room in the cockpit."
    Perhaps when he's done all of his research, and learned what he needs to know, he'll look in the Wanted section.

19. Um, Roadsters??

Cosmo

20. I'm 6 ft and my 4" chopped/not channeled A coupe using a custom foamed seat cushion plywood platform on Speedway sliders tilted about 15 degrees up at the knee...and a 27 T sedan folding seat back rest provides great comfort in this small car...my wife it 5' 3" so seat adjustability is key for both of us to drive it. Plan your ergonomics when laying out the frame is my advise...and remember to build the car for your BODY...as well as for your mind. Building a cool looking car wont be so cool if ya cant drive or enjoy it.

21. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

What ever you do...do not buy a traditional uncut Phaeton.
    There is no leg room PERIOD !

Go with a 50's East Coast coupe. Unchopped with a 4" channel or less.

Fat Fender Cars......... pure comfort with No height or leg issues.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  22. Interesting thread. At 6'5" and almost 300lbs.... I've owed damn near everything. It's amazing how much we're willing to suffer to drive cool. Not so much anymore. My back can't take it.
    People used to see me unfold from my 30 A pick up with major chop, they thought I was a retired contortionist. It was an amazing procedure. I am totally comfortable in my Merc (Avatar) with the radical chop only because I built the interior for my size.

23. slammed

slammed

Age and flexibility. Distances you plan on driving. What kind of ride quality you can tolerate.

24. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I'm 6 feet and I'm starting to feel small:D

25. chubbie

chubbie

My A tudor is choped 3" with mustang seats. I have a lot of room but a friend of mine is 6'13", had him in the A twice!! his only compaint is when he puts the seat back his head touches the roll bar!!

26. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I'm now swapping out the bench seat in my Brookville highboy with homemade bomber seats, not done yet, but just trying on for fitment I'm VERY surprised at how many extra inches of leg and knee room it gives. But I'm just ~6 ft.

27. Snakeoyl Joe

Snakeoyl Joe

Better than the little man syndrom.

28. gigem

gigem

that is a tall dude! He could buy some nice cars with an NBA paycheck. Probably has size 18 shoes, which also create problems on old hotrods...

29. chubbie

chubbie

drives a fresh built '40 packard coupe, and it's not chopped! played college ball, Kentucky toppers.

30. Tedders

Tedders

Yeah I was thinking it would look like a clown car me rolling out of a small roadster..little frustrated as the car Im trying to buy he is going back and forth on $500..