Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What do you think it's worth (project"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jrork, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Jrork

Jrork

Well, I obviously shouldn't have posted this in classified since I got booted so I'll try it here.

I’m putting our 1941 Master Deluxe Business Coupe up for sale. I purchased this car in its original form in the late 1980’s and did a restoration then finishing it about 1992. Last time this car was licensed was in 1998.

At the time I restored this in the late 80s and early 90s, I stripped the body to bare metal. I cut rust out and mig welded metal back in. I then acid etched the bare metal before sealing it with PPG DP40. I then did my body work before sealing it again with some DP 40. Following that I used PPG K200 primer surface. These were pretty new products at the time and worked very well. I then sealed it again and then top coated it with PPG Acrylic Lacquer in Wimbledon White.
    The suspension at that time consisted of stock front crossmember with drop spindle supports by Buffalo Enterprises, 54 Chev spindles and springs and one of his steering and brake kits. It had a hotrodded Chev 261, truck bellhousing with a Saginaw 4speed out of a Chevy Monza shifted by a Hurst Shifter. I drove this in this manner for about 6 years before parking it to do some modifications to it.
    It’s been stored inside ever since when I tore it down to install a new motor, auto transmission and air ride suspension. There is no interior, the floor of the trunk has been removed to make room for the suspension I was going to install. Unfortunately, I took up another hobby and never did anything with it. Given that it’s been 14 years since I last worked on it, I doubt that I am ever going to do anything with it and would like the extra shop space.

List of items starting at the front:
    Briz front bumper
    12v head lights
    Re-cored radiator
    RB Automotive’s Bolt in Mustang II front end
    Manual Rack & Pinion
    New ball joints and control arm bushing (zero miles)
    Vented disc brake kit (I never installed it though I bought it used from a friend)
    Perfect tinted glass in windshield and side windows. Original back window
    VDO Classic gauges
    Ron Francis Wiring Kit
    Rebuilt Tilt steering column
    Leather Lecarra steering wheel and hub assembly
    RB Automotive removable transmission crossmember (never installed)
    Lokar emergency brake handle and cables
    Buffalo Enterprises rear spring kit (note, springs are not usable as I was going with air ride and cut them and never finished)
    1957 Chevrolet big bearing rear end. The was completely rebuilt by Buffalo in the early 1990’s with all new parts in the pumpkin.
    Power antenna
    Fiberglass rear fenders
    Billet license plate holder with 3rd brake light.
    Briz rear bumper
    McLean Wire wheels (14 x 6 front and 15 x 7 rear)
    Also have a spare hood that has the Special Deluxe hood trim on sides.
    Spare NOS belt line molding (purchased to replace the current one that has a dent).
    Fiberglass fender skirts (never installed or painted)

After all this time the paint is still in pretty good condition. There is some small bubbling on the very bottom of the Drivers door down at the pinch seam but otherwise, it looks good.

The grill is straight but has some surface rust and would need to be rechromed to make it really nice. As is, with the SOS pads, it cleans up really pretty good..
    So, I’m considering putting it up for sale to let someone else have some fun with it instead of letting it just sit in the shop with a car cover over it.
    Given this, could you guys give me a general idea of what it might be worth? I have pictures of when I drove it home, during the rebuild, when it was on the road as well as what it looks like today.

I also have the title.

Thanks very much for any advice you would be willing to offer on what might be a reasonable amount to ask for………john

Below are pictures in order of when I brought it home to most recently it sitting in the shop just ignored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. I paid 50 bucks for my 41 coupe in 1957, should still be worth atleast that much even tho it's just an old car

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

I see you are a new guy and may not have seen this posted hundreds of times--

'Worth' is decided by how much the buyer is willing to give and how little the owner is willing to take. No Exceptions.

"Worth" is different in every case.

4. Jrork

Jrork

Lol. You guys are killing me. What I'm trying to find out a general range of what I might consider asking for it. No biggee. I'll just keep it in the shop and let it sit. No worries.

5. jlibert

jlibert
    from fresno

check completed listings at the auction site. That'll give you a starting point.

6. Beau

Beau

Drive it. It'll be worth all the work you put in.

7. Jrork

Jrork

Thank you Jlibert. I appreciate the suggestion. Take care

8. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I am going to take a shot. $4500-$6500. Good looking car that still needs a interior and drive train. Why lose the money invested. Stick a motor and trans in it and patch the trunk.

9. 62rebel

62rebel

just my 2c but a car painted that nicely with wires on ought to have a hood. if it was a primer rod, no hood, no problem.

10. Jrork

Jrork

Thanks again everyone. I've decided to go ahead and just keep it.

Rebel, the hood is off only because I pulled the front end off to remove the engine. The original hood will go back on. Just might be my son who puts thos back together.

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Old Cars Report Price Guide gives values for conditions from 1-6. A number one car is a 95+ point show car that is never driven and always trailered to shows. A number six car is a parts car that is beyond restoration. That leaves conditions 2-5 for your consideration

2. $20,300
    3. $13,050
    4. $5,800
    5. $3,480