Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Hoist, what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beat2Hell, Mar 15, 2013.

1. joebuff

joebuff
    from Boston, MA

I had the same problem a few years ago with a great, solid American made hoist....I bought a new cylinder/ram from Napa (a good US made one) and it actually fit right in. You should measure yours and you will find a different brand will fit right in there most likely. They all copied each other for quite a few years and a lot are interchangeable.

2. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have exactly the same hoist you pictured , my ram also leaks a little and is going to need rebuilt. I will do that as the rest of the hoist is really heavy duty in comparison to a lot of ones I see. For the past year or so I have just been putting some additional fluid into it and it keeps working for a little while longer.

Don

4. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

When swapping in a new ram or one from something else, don't forget the mechanical leverage forces involved. A ram with a given capacity will not lift that same given capacity suspended from the boom outboard from the ram.

Been tried, buddy thought he'd save a few bucks and bought a replacement ram rated just for what he wanted to lift and then wondered why the hoist wouldn't.......

Ed

5. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Repair what you've got, that's the H.A.M.B. mentality. That's why I overhauled the 223 I-6 in my Rancho instead of slapping in a crappy orange V-8.

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HF bashing seems to be a HAMB badge of honor. I do not subscribe to this line of thinking. Is their stuff as good as stuff that costs 2 to 3 times as much? No, but how good does it have to be? It is good enough for me, the amateur hobbyist. Have a HF hoist, have pulled an L98 & 700r4 (together) probably 20 times, still works fine.

Here's the key tip to buying HF stuff (learned this from my local HF manager): purchase the 2 year warranty (or whatever they call it), and write the expiration date in permanent marker on the tool (e.g. 3/13). The month prior to that, bring it to HF and tell them "it is unsatisfactory, has been messing up, sticking, skipping, slipping, whatever." They will give you a new one (the newer model). Purchase the 2 yr plan again. I am on my 2nd mig welder and 3rd of several other things (grinder, drill, etc).

A scam, you say? Whatever gets you through the night. When my local HF manager is telling me to do this, what say you then?

Regardless, you simply cannot say that all HF tools are crap. If you say that, then you're not working with them. Some are crap (compound miter saw and others), some are perfectly fine (240 v mig welder & many others).
    :)

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't need the hoist to fold or to pull the legs off to get in the truck or to store it in the corner I don't see the need of making them so they can fold. Mine came off the Cummin's tool truck which is a kind of a HF on a truck that goes around an peddles tools It folds but the main advantage to that is that I can fold the legs throw a tie down strap around them and pick it up with my hand truck and wheel it to the back shed and store it out of the way.

Northern Tool has an 8 ton ram for 69.99 http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332753_200332753 I know that in this area I'm not going to find anyone who will rebuild one for that. Minimum shop time cost will eat most of that up.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I have that exact same lift
    its a Carolina Shophand 5000

the ram can be rebuilt, and new ones of quality can be found

that lift/hoist is worth keeping and rebuilding..I wont ever bother with any of the new ones.

this sucker could lift the friken space shuttle, or the entire front end of a truck..ask me how I know.

its worth doing it right, no matter the cost

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I agree this model is a really good one. I extended the boom all the way one time to lift a motor over the side of my boat that was on a trailer, and it lifted that engine right over the transom with no problem.

Don

10. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

I would just rebuild the cylinder and and make the legs fold-able... on the other hand i have a crappy orange one too.... and I have beat the livin shit out of it and the only problem I have is the stupid release,which is somewhat common on most of those cylinders.... anyway my dad and i while changing a cyl head on a big Detroit 12 series engine in his truck, we had to extend the reach to all most 10 feet or more and place RR tracks on the back to balance the weight, the head probably weighs as much as an average fully assembled big v8 and we had no problems...granted we were extra cautious but that's all we had to use at the time... just sayin...