Register now to get rid of these ads!

American graffiti 3 the prequel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sport fury, Jan 8, 2011.

1. sport fury

sport fury

awsome

2. A combo of growth spurts, makeup,computer animation and time would help the young actors through the changes they grow through, until late summer 1962. Naturally , there would have to be an extensive , thorough casting call. Filled with mostly unknowns. But yes it can be done.

3. Copmotor

Copmotor

Check out American thrill ride it's a new car movie.

4. Ron Howard and George Lucas could make it happen for sure.

Ron Howard could even play the Dad of his old role.

Candy Clark could be the Mom of her old role.

Have the California Kid do a cameo in the 1961 part, like where it's lined up with the Milner coupe, but the police bust up the whole thing and haul just about everybody to jail!

5. norton58

norton58

Judging by the crap that passes for a movie now, Milner would have to be a vampire that can morph himself into a werewolf, and it HAS to have a helicopter in it somewhere. Absolutely no sex at all, but heaps of exploding head shots and the word 'motherf....er' in every second sentence.

6. 1958-

The Pharoahs at this point are just a bunch of kids on bicycles, Then through the years they get to the Merc. Mayhem of course follows them all the way.

Back to 1961 and Richard Dreyfuss's charactor. During this segment he runs into the mysterious blond girl 3 times.

Once while he is getting a wedgie from the Pharoahs
    Once while he is at his Grandmas house , he sees her out in a yard for just a minute, teasing him but never talks. His grandma orders him back in to clean up her barky ass house dog , who hates him, and the mess he left in the hall from eating too many grapes.

And once while he is having to run his grandma to the grocery store, again like he always has to, and the mysterious blond is there with her dad and a white T-Bird at a
    Ford dealership. Of course she smiles and waveslike she kinda knows him by now. He never gets a name, all he has is a few memories. THAT"S why he is so crazy in the AG movie.

By now, Toad has huge stack of car magazines , and is still riding a bicycle.

The Pharoahs steal the parts they need to complete the Merc.

Candy Clarks mom dies

7. slammed

slammed

Yes. No remakes. Create something today that becomes the new watershed for a 'era' movie. There needs to be less tribute/clone/copy cars and movies. Forget Hollywood. There run by people who rarely get anything right. There are some guys (Mad Fabricators) whom could have an impute to the creative process. Think of some others. Time to be more original and use the past as influence but leaving what has been done (AG) behind.

8. Oh yeah, and the Wolfman is making noises from out in the desert around 58 or 59(a combination of his old shows, manipulated into sounding like he is in time.). AM radio sound of course, old radio jingles, and so forth. During this film, the Wolfman is never seen.

ONLY Dreyfuss gets to see the Wolfman during the original AG film, that's it.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

An AG pre '62 can't work because of the times we live in. Remember what was going on in America, when AG came out? We were still in Nam. The Beatles had broken up. The 60's had died, along with a few historical figures. Basicly, America was a mess. Lucas gave us a vehicle to escape to a simpler time. THAT'S why it worked. We need something to remind us how cool the late 70's were compared to today. And they were cool. If you think hard enough.

Now, here's what could work. IMO of course. A film around a late 70's time frame. The charecters could be dealing with friends coming back from the war. A change in music coming in (disco v/s rock and roll). Political mistrust (ala Nixon). Drugs. And last, but not least, muscle cars.

I think something along those lines could work. A few movies about that time have been done, but they lacked substance and a good mix of story lines. "Dazed and Confused" and "Fast Times AT Richmont High" come to mind. Nicely done, but they missed some cool things.

A Milner type charecter with a '69 Hemi Road Runner would get my attention.:D A Falfa type charecter in a big block Vette. Yea, I'd pay to see that.;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  10. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

ok so when did number 2 come out ? not heard of that over this side of the pond :/

i like the idea of the op post but would it be just like another fast and hairyarse remake and not like the first movie at all ?

i would watch it just to see but it would be too new as in the HD side of things and when it was first made they never used the cameras like they did then untill this film was made

11. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

well i have just watched "more" and im so depressed with it, totally different film to the first one and i hope they dont do a third, wished i had not seen "more" now

need to watch the original and keep my faith in all that was AMERICAN GRAFFITI

12. Indulge me if you will, the writer in me has to get this off my chest----

When Milner finds his coupe and the Chevy engine to go in it--

Milner is first seen driving a shoebox, just a plain 50 Ford, 4 dr sleeper , but with a stock flathead like any other. The good thing is it's reliable, and he gets Toad to go with him into LA to visit the So Cal speed shop where there's a guy named Alex. Toad Keeps going on about all the names he reads about in the magazines, and all the visits they could do in one day. He brings up Barris, Jeffries etc. ---But Milner is set on going to So Cal, and thats it. They get there, and of course are drawn in by the polished parts everywhere. "Alex" is working on a streamliner behind the counter. Milner asks why not a coupe like the older magazines showed him running. Alex just says the 'Liner is faster through the wind. Milner has got to take a leak and he eases to the back of the building, and sees the coupe, chopped, bobbed fenders, no engine, no rearend. He inquires with Alex about it, and Alex is willing to sell the old shitbox for $150! Alex sees the Liner as faster and 'old coupes just ain't the ticket anymore. Milner has $100 bucks on him and some change, but Toad has $200 in a pink piggy bank! He just threw it in just incase before they left home! The purchase is made, and the back of the coupe is dropped into the trunk of the 50 Ford, front wheels locked so they won't steer into traffic, and off they go back up the boulevard, and Toad says- this is great.....Milner- Yeah, but now we need to make it go.

One day a black 57 chevy pulls into the service station Milner works at. The driver is a total prick with a sweet, sexy cougar type who is dressed like a cross between Marylin Monroe and Jayne Mansfield. Driver gets out and slams the door, orders a fill up, oil check, tire check, windsheild clean, etc etc etc. Milner mentions that's the standard deal anyway, but the driver wanting to look like a big shot, orders Milner not to backtalk him, and storms off to the bathroom.

the sweetie in the 57 is constantly applying lipstick and leaning over with a revealing neckline, and keeps on trying to an overt peep show to get Milners eyes off of the car and onto her. Milner cleans the windshield pretty good at this point, but it's time to check the oil since the gas pump clicks away like a time clock. He opens the hood and sees the chevy v8 in it, checks the oil, and shuts the hood.

The driver comes out, the pump is off, everything is done and it's time for the bill, and the sweetie is still putting on lipstick or something like that. The total- $5 and change. BEFORE he gives the cash to Milner he orders Milner to clean two small miniscule spots from the windshield, just to be a prick again. Done and paid, the driver takes off, and the sweetie looks back at Milner, and he sees it but goes back in to his dull life.

Later that night, Milner is on tow truck duty, and gets a dual fatality call down at the railroad tracks. You guessed it, it's the 57 and both are dead. The engine is fine though and it goes from there.

13. If it hits me, and ya'll don't mind, maybe a story about Milner meeting the California Kid.It's not quite the way you'd think I'd go with it.

It would be 1961 and The Kid would be in SO California to avoid getting too close to Oregon since he is still wanted up there. The Kid is just passing through , and needing cash.

14. Janice584

Janice584
    from usa

how about show the wino that was at the liquor with toad as he was before he was a wino.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

It could be done, if HAMBers were involved...Id watch it

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

How about: Milner as a teenager in 1955, buying the coupe from a crusty old hot rodder who is through with hot rods because times aren`t what they used to be and hot rods aren`t fun anymore. In his day the farmers went to bed at sunset and they had the country roads to themselves. They used to go out at night and drag race on the long straight roads between the celery fields, now the cops crack down at the least little thing and you can`t have 100 cars out drag racing all night.

All the kids want to do is hang around the stupid drive in they just built or cruise up and down the street. And what about that rock and roll crap, you can`t get any decent swing music on the radio anymore. The Ford flathead was the best motor ever made, now you might as well forget it, you get beat by a stock OHV V8 and who wants to mess with all that complication, pushrods, rockers, 4 barrel carbs, the hell with it.

So Milner buys the coupe (black, 16 inch big and littles, a flathead between the rails) puts in the Chev engine, paints it yellow etc.

The crabby old coot should be played by Paul LeMat.

17. matt Delio

matt Delio

I met Paul LeMat at Englishtown for the oldtime drags, Asked him if they would make a sequel- he said "it's up to George Lucas That was in 2009, Sooooo??

18. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Who's going to play Toad in the prequel? Actually I think he sold the show
    in the original movie.

19. Good Call! And now that you mention it,The house,senate and all of congress should be H.A.M.B. members! THAT would get American straightened out!!! jmho....

20. That kid looks like Norm aughta punch him in the face!

21. Cool!

22. You got the job! You write and I'll direct! Now for the hard part....MONEY!

23. True! Bridges did an outstanding job as well!I was skeptical when it fist came out but I enjoy it alot!

24. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

25. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Good thread, great read. A lot of good ideas and some not so good.

I saw the original at a drive in when it came out, thought it was great. Saw More AG at the same drive in and absolutely hated it, watched it many years later on late night tv and thought it was pretty good, time changes everything.

I would watch a prequel if it was made but doubt that it will ever happen.

26. sport fury

sport fury

just been reading about George Lucas not liking that Disney made the 7th star wars movie done as a retro movie. I now have my doubts that he is willing to make a retro third American Graffiti. but who knows?

27. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Didn't he come up with Jar Jar Binks? His opinion is moot.

28. The 7th Star Wars film is a Retro Movie? Coulda' fooled me.