Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pinion Angel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miller, Mar 15, 2013.

1. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

..Hi after doing a search for ''pinion angel'' information and viewing what I found I still need some help and answers....This is what I have...the trans is higher then the rear,...the trans is down 3*,..the drives shaft is down 4* at the trans tail shaft,....the drive shaft at the rear is 4* up from the rear u-joint,....the rear pinion is 3* up,....all measurements were taking at the proper points of the trans/u-joints/drive shaft etc, the weight was on both front and rear axles,...with what I have now is it correct/safe and if not what do I need to change?...Thanks for any help....Miller

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. It is "Angle", might help your search.

3. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Every time you hear a ping another Pinion Angel got it's u-joints :)

You are correct as you state.

[​IMG]

4. Fenders

Fenders

tailshaft down = pinion up ... correct.
    1* working angle on universals .... excellent.

You are good to go.

5. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

Hi thanks for the replies...Now that we got over the angel and angle problems....if I understand what was stated so far what I have now is correct!...I hope these u-joints don't get their wings soon....thanks again Miller

6. As a high school dropout,I see a large amount of foks here who shoud have their diplomas reposessed .....It is just me I suppose but the spelling and grammar of this site's members never ceases to amaze me.

7. Grudge

Grudge

Me too...IRONY!

Aaron

8. Fenders

Fenders

Spelling, and typos.... I try to ignore them all and just answer the question

9. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

When a guy is searching, either here, or google, or elsewhere, it's a tad bit important to be searching for what you want, NOT what you write. I don't think anyone was being mean or nasty, just trying to help the guy out with a typo. Stu

10. Fenders

Fenders

You mean like:
    deth wobbel
    won't bring up any hits?

11. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Just saying that sometimes being accurate can make it a simpler process. Stu

12. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

..When I 1st got on the h.a.m.b. site it seemed to me that the site was about helping and giving information about problems that a person may have with projects such as cars,trucks......Has this changed to a '' SEE WHO CAN SPELL THE BEST SITE AND COMMENT ABOUT THE ONES WHO CAN'T "?.....I can take a joke as well as the next person and I thank the persons who over looked the spelling and gave me the correct information.....It also seems to me that some people have to find some thing wrong just to make a comment because their knowledge is all about spelling and very little about autos and if their knowledge is in both areas then I would suggest to them to start going to a good church because something is missing!.....I also wonder if the same people would comment on my and others spelling if we were in a war zone and the bullets were flying?...Some of you guys need to get a project to work on instead of the key board......Once again THANKS FOR THE HELP...Miller

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Pinion angel...wonder if one of those might help keep the ten bolt in my Chevy II alive...:p

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Lighten up Miller, they meant no harm and most everyone gets poked at or a hand slap at some time on here. It's kind of like having thousands of older brothers giving you a red belly. Solid question by the way and many good AND funny replies given.;)

15. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

Thanks....In my reply I may have put more into it then needed...thanks ...miller

16. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

I think that's the side gear angel....

Sorry Miller, was too good a setup have a good one buddy

googled deth wobbel

stell got my deth wobbel - THE H.A.M.B.
    www.jalopyjournal.com › ... › Hokey Ass Message Board
    100+ posts - 14 authors - Apr 28, 2010
    stell got my deth wobbel Hokey Ass Message Board

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Good one Hoop:D:D if you complain about getting roughed up a bit, its likely to start a "DOG PILE" in the schoolyard. Better to just grin and bear it.:D

18. firingorder1

firingorder1

Its nice to be able to read a post instead of trying to figure out what the poster has written.

19. back to the question.depending on your rear suspension.leafs or links ,the pinion will lift up a bit under load.you will want pinion down 2-3* at rest to compensate.check out dennies driveshafts for answers.

20. kracker36

kracker36

2-3 deg. down from what?

21. Vendome

Vendome

"2-3 deg. down from what?"

From the parallel line.

22. rustang

rustang

As noted above, tail on trans down 2 to 3 deg.... pinion up the same amount.....hake sure you load the springs to simulate vehicle weight...

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We all make typos and grammatical errors in our posts..........this is a car forum, not a Rhodes Scholar exam. I am able to look beyond what someone has written and can usually figure out what they are trying to get across. :)

As for pinion angle, while it is important to TRY to get the same amount of incline on the rear as is on the motor, it is not absolutely going to kill a car to have a slight mismatch between the two. I always say there is there perfect world and then there is the real world. Sometimes you can be off a bit between the two and the u joints will still take up that mismatch and the car will go right down the road.

Huge differences can also occur between when you set up the chassis in your home garage and when you get it out on the road. My 27 settled down 4 inches in the rear the first time I let the clutch out years ago, which had to change the u joint angles, but it has been that way for 25 years and I am still running the original Denny's driveshaft complete with original u joints.

If you look at some of the jacked up and lowered cars and trucks running around, you will realize the slight deviations we incur are very insignificant compared to the variations some of those vehicles have. Just sayin' that if you don't hit it right on the head you can still be ok.......it is just a number to shoot for.

Don

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pinion should point UP, not DOWN, at any angle, ever.

I have been using strain gauges and telemetry equipment to monitor suspension systems, for a couple of decades.

The worst ever recorded spring wrap that I have seen was 2.5º, measured at the pinion (softly sprung Diesel 4x4, with 600+ lb. ft. of torque), with the average, being 1.2º, on leaf spring equipped vehicles.

On vehicle with links, my observed average has been under 1º.

I now no longer compensate for spring wrap, or bushing compliance, on any suspension system. I gave it up about a decade ago. Everything gets set up parallel. Not one single reported problem, and this is all I do, all day every single day.

25. upspirate

upspirate

If the angles are set up wrong...off slightly, what will the result be?

Vibration,or just joint wear?

Talking about "normal" street use,getting on it to pass or a little from a light with mild stuff,lightweight cars,etc

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little off: Nothing noticeable, but some vibration present.
    More off: perceptible vibration, decrease in joint life.
    A lot off: harsh vibration, very short joint life.

27. upspirate

upspirate

28. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

Hi gimpyshotrods....When you read my question and with the degrees I have it set at is it OK?...the rear has a 4 bar on it...and it will be street driven only....also thanks to all that replied....Miller

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are dead-on.

30. kracker36

kracker36

Agreed my friend, I read on here all the time about setting pinions angled down. In fact, I got blasted on another pinion angle thread recently. If the trans/crank line was angled up for some strange reason, then I might roll with that idea:)