Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Chev deluxe - build log.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan272, Apr 4, 2010.

1. got a hell of a project ahed of ya there mate but you seem to be makin a nice dent in it.

btw if theres a tiny pin hole on the outside of your fuel tank then theres usually a whole bunch of potholes on the inside. just warning you, its probably pretty thin. you should get it sorted tho, keep at it mate

2. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Thanks mate. Yeah I was wondering if that meant the inside was gonna be trouble. I think there's some places around that repair them so I guess I'll have to investigate it further!

Mini update, my garage is looking more and more like a paint shop. An I'm getting pretty good at cleaning paint guns...

Attached Files:

3. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

ah makes me miss my 52, but i love the fact its is right hand drive really unique.

4. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Thanks, yeah it's a little bit different being right hand drive, it should make overtaking a whole lot easier haha.

So the news is that I called an engineer and gave him the low down on what I have and what I plan to do (I don't know how it works for you guys in the states, but over here any changes like engine swap that weren't offered by the OEM for that model, or just about any other change to driveline needs to be engineered to pass a roadworthy and get rego).
    So therefore even a swap over of a bolt-in front end also needs to be engineered, contrary to what I initially thought.
    So basically I'm turfing the 253 I have and going to something a 'bit' bigger, and I've spent the last week or so reading every thread that I can find about the XJ6 jag swap (blasphemy?) and have decided that, that is the path for me.
    I weighed up the enormous cost of shipping a complete front end from the states, or getting a custom one done here, and basically even buying an entire XJ6, rebuilding the front end and paying for engineering of the entire car, will cost less than just shipping one from the states.
    So I've arranged to check out a '71 model jag on Friday.
    Which I understand just doesnt have the 4-pot calipers and bigger rotors of the latter 72-84 models, which I'll deal with, and probably swap to holden discs anyway.
    So that's where I'm at, progress continues and hopefully more updates on Friday!

5. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

ImageUploadedByTJJ1346982449.791404.jpg

After some negotiations I'm on my way home with this bad boy...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. Luke4554

Luke4554

Not sure how you guys can buy a car like that and hack it up for parts.. lol I would just want to keep both to drive..

That Jag's neat in my opinion.. but i do understand the process.

Cant keep em all i suppose.. doesnt mean i cant try though!

Luke ;)

7. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Hey Luke.
    Yeah the jag is pretty badass but it's no where near as good as it looks in that photo. The floors are rusting out, dash is wrecked. No engine or box, gas tank in the boot and no fuel tanks, rusty doors... Etc etc haha. I know what you mean though.
    I'm gonna try and find a way to neatly mount the taco out of it, because I recon it's pretty good. And some of the other gauges might go in a hidden cluster somewhere.

I got an hour or so into it the other night and pulled the front out. And the back is ready to come out too as soon as I get some free time:

ImageUploadedByTJJ1347843620.607647.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1347843637.637140.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1347843650.866725.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1347843662.292810.jpg

8. Luke4554

Luke4554

Damn.. i like that steering wheel too..

9. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

So I had a day off yesterday, and amongst the scattered showers we finally parted the jag from its rear end. It was relatively straight forward, if not time consuming.
    In the photos you can see I've removed the front end and the car was resting on its rear wheels and two wheels laid flat either side at the front (all 6 of the jack stands I have access to are being used, and besides, it's more professional this way...)
    So I jacked it up from the centre of the diff/cradle and removed the wheels off either side. Due to there being a gas tank installed in the boot, they used some thick plating to reinforce where they secured the tank to the boot floor... blocking access to the nuts holding the diff mounts to the body.
    So we tediously removed the 4 bolts from the inner side of the mounts on either side (just visible in the photos) and ran into our next problem: The exhaust that had been re-routed THROUGH the cradle, between the axels and the body. So busting out the angle grinder, we cut through it on either side of the diff - on a side note, whoever ran that exhaust must have spent a bloody long time on it, it's very tight quarters in there.
    Once done, we grabbed the pry-bar to drop the diff down and all went to plan. The last thing holding it in place were the two front sway bars (?), the ones that stop the diff tipping forward.
    The rubber was totally shot and had fused the arms to their mounting point, so I grabbed the propane torch and melted those suckers off. Cop that, environment.
    And that was that, the diff was now free. So we wheeled it out and had a look at it. It seems it's been robbed of a caliper on one side (fu) and may have a slight seal leak, but otherwise there's no free play in it and it appears to be alright. I'll give the guy a call I bought the car off and see if I can get the caliper off him... unlikely but worth a shot.
    So I put that aside, ready for the engineer, and also removed the steering wheel and steering column (I forgot to take photo's, will take some on Monday). Now (I think) all that is left is to remove the gauges and get ride of what's left of the car, unless anyone can suggest to me anything else I should keep?
    Anyway, that's where I'm at for now, photos in the next post.

10. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Photos:

ImageUploadedByTJJ1348275675.572311.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1348275696.124631.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1348275718.809313.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1348275735.991841.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1348275752.174541.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1348275770.547291.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1348275791.445772.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1348275814.328269.jpg

11. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

So the engineer has been out to have a look at it all, took my arm and a leg then said I was right to carry on with suspension swap etc as I was planning. Also suggested I reinforce the chassis to get a smoother ride with the jag setup.
    Most of the summer has been spent working and sorting out Uni etc etc blah blah so not much progress just been saving my money. I did pick this up over the weekend, though, and should be setting the body up on it over this coming weekend I hope...
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1360536303.487977.jpg

12. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

More updates this coming Sunday night! Got all the steel and my measurements correct (I hope). Stay tuned.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1361823283.111815.jpg

13. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

So I spent most of yesterday measuring, cutting, squaring, drilling and welding and have finally got the rotisserie ready to go. Just need a couple if people to come around and help lift it on.
    Slow progress is still progress!

ImageUploadedByTJJ1363386209.601445.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1363386229.060099.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1363386266.316146.jpg

14. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Body is now on the rotisserie! Just have to make up a bracket for the front end to drop it down about 160mm (as it was originally made for a '57 chev). Hopefully ordering some patch panels from the states this coming week or two! Photo's to come.

15. country hick

country hick
    from Australia

Doing great.
    I'm just starting a chev 52 4 door. Using a jag front, bomodore rear and (this will no doubt piss people off....) a v6 + 5 speed!!
    am following your thread with great interest. Keep it up!
    Regards Simon

16. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Hey Simon, thanks very much!
    Are you also using the jag steering column? What commo rear, and I guess you're using an ecotec?
    Here's a couple of photos:

Before:
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1369705963.173361.jpg
    After:

ImageUploadedByTJJ1369705902.738348.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1369705922.119427.jpg

So yeah as I said the front needs I be dropped but ill probably go buy the plate and Friday and get it ready to go!
    Still waiting on a quote from chevs of te 40's for my parts....

17. country hick

country hick
    from Australia

Not sure on column yet. Will need to use a collapsible one so the jag is an obvious choice, but is pretty ugly! lol.
    Not an ecotec but from a VP. I know that the ecotecs are a better engine but I've already got 2 of the earlier ones with 5 speeds so am using what I've got.
    The diff is from the same car. Ive actually got a jag diff as well but think its too heavy to be using with the V6.
    It's a bit of a budget build, so will be using motor, box, diff, wiring loom, radiator etc etc all from the same donor.....well that's the plan anyway!

Are you rubber mounting the jag front or solid mount?
    How did you end up getting the body up on the rottisery? (sp?)

I'm using your build (and others) as inspiration so you better get moving!:D

Regards Simon

18. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Yeah it is pretty ugly but I'm thinking if I clean it up I might be able to make it look alright.
    Do you know what ratio your jag diff is?
    And I know the feeling about building to a budget. My build is already almost 5 years in and I've gotten barely anywhere haha. Hopefully some progress to come though!
    I'm solid mounting the front end and then will just make up some brackets for the shocks. Some people will say the front end "just lines up" and while its close - it doesn't.
    And we just picked the body up and put it on the rotisserie, two people at each end.

Annnnnd I spoke to chevs of the 40s today and should be putting in an order for my parts tomorrow! Yeah yeah.

19. country hick

country hick
    from Australia

Sorry, no idea on my Jag diff ratio - no tag on it. The jag had a 308 and celica 5 speed in it and seemed to be ok rpm wise while driving. (unfortunately motor was too far gone to rebuild)

You're kicking some good goals mate - it all takes time!