Register now to get rid of these ads!

59A w/merc crank.. do I need a 8BA flywheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31' A Bone, Mar 14, 2013.

1. 31' A Bone

31' A Bone
    from So Cal

Got a question......
    If building a 59A Ford flathead with a Merc crank, must I use a 8BA flywheel? I thought the starters were the same, starter depth is the same, but the ring gear teeth on the 59A is 5/8" and the 8BA are 7/8". So whats different..... the crank length? Can I just use the original 59A flywheel.

2. bobscogin

bobscogin

Pretty sure you can.

Bob

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Indeed you must! The difference is spacing of backside of wheel and the gear, both ends of crank are entirely the same '39-53 except for fordomatic hole.

4. You want to use the 59A flywheel and NOT the 8BA as the offset is different. I just built a 59A with a Merc crank, I used the flywheel that came off the 59A. The offset difference affects the starter function, apparently it won't make contact with the ring gear or at least not completely with an 8BA flywheel.

There are visual differences between the flywheels plus dimensional differences concerning the ring gear.

The 59A flywheel has a concave or negative space on the engine side as seen in the photo also notice the difference in ring gears. (not my photo)

I had the "lip" turned off my 59A flywheel which removes 8-1/2 lb of weight.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

5. 31' A Bone

31' A Bone
    from So Cal

Perfect, I don't have to track down a 8ba wheel, i'll just use the original 59A one. Thanks Guys!