Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help me decide how to power my Deuce

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jailhousebob, Mar 14, 2013.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

2. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

I guess I am ignorant, cause I want to see a 14 second flathead car

3. kracker36

kracker36

Great advice. Put an engine in the car that you would cover up so noone would know. ;)

4. banginona40

banginona40

I think I would stay with the 303. Path of least resistance and cool too.

5. captainflight

captainflight

The early Rocket Olds is a great engine. You can easily increase hp and not too many guys run them. All rebuild and lots of hop-up parts are available. There are adapters to swap transmission if you desire. Yeah, go for the Olds!

6. A
    Axoq

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. 312 Y block gets my vote.....

8. wibble_1979

wibble_1979

Personally I lean towards staying with your brand if its a Ford, put a Ford in it. If it's mopar than keep it mopar. etc etc all the big three made good parts great parts and parts that even they wished they had not put in the finished product. In this instance though with the Item's you have on hand why do one rendishion? kinda like buying a model that you could build in more than one way, you build the first then have to go back and by to more to do it another couple ways. heck rebuild the flattie the Caddy and the old's and you could run one per year and never have the same car. I know it might sound crazy but hey thats me. Have fun

9. steve185

steve185

Only a ford engine would be right. I am putting a 302 in mine, I have a flat head and a 390 in the shop and may put one of those in later.
    Steve

10. belair

belair

Olds and Hydro.

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

How about an early small hemi?

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Olds. It won't take much effort to get 200 HP out of the 303, and that will outdo 99.9% of all flatheads in rods. Also, I see more speed equipment for early Olds engines at swap meets than any other '50s OHV V8. You've already got the hard to find standard shift setup for it.

13. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I havent graduated to a 32 yet......But heres the engine I built to go in my 30/31 Ford coupe that we are building....had it on display last wk in Detroit...its finished except for dyno time. 371 Olds with a 4-71 blower dressed period correct....all modern goodies inside...built to drive anywhere.

The 32 is a good customer of mine who debut his new hotrod at the same show. 324 Olds with tripower....build same way...to drive.....and dont let shiney fool you..he drives his cars after showing off the new build.

My vote Olds...weights the same as a caddy but much more durable....and HP potential...endless.....plenty of parts being made for the Olds.

Tony

Attached Files:

14. mecutem

mecutem

I am currently pulling a 56 Olds(adapter to 39 trans to stock K member) out of my 32 chassis and putting a 56 chevy 265 in its place. Biggest reason is the lenght of the Olds setup does not allow me to run a stock hood. Puts the hood forward around 1 1/2 inches. Second reason is the weight of the Olds. Third reason is stock firewall and stock radiator location. Fourth reason is the effortless rpm's of the small chevy. Fifth reason is I can sell the starter changeover and adapter from the olds for more than I paid for a running small chevy. Each to their own............just giving my opinion as you asked.

I like the Olds and have a built 324 going in my other 32 sedan. I can set the motor back in the sedan which makes the bigger Olds motor a better fit. I will also have a lasalle behind it, again bigger parts need more room. So if you want to stay as close to stock as possible, come up to mid fiftys build the 265 would be a good fit timeline wise. Steve

15. 327Eric

327Eric

If you want the early 50's look, I'd go with the 303 already in the car. your bucks ahead by already owning it. otherwise, the true era correct engine is the flathead.
    I like the caddy, and the Studebaker , but they seem overdone to be "different".
    everything else seems a little late to for a rodder that wasn't bucks up.
    My .02, for what its worth.

16. Dave50

Dave50

Well I am a Ford guy but i got what i got cause of what was in my car so when it needed some attention I went from this to this :p:D

Goatroper02 (Tony) is the source for ALL the parts needed from stock to all out performance and race. Can`t wait to see what you decide.

Attached Files:

17. 4rod

4rod

caddy would be cool, flatty would be (ford) and cool, but so would a Y-block...I love the sounds of a Y

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

If the Caddy is ready to run, then that.. If not, rebuild the 303. I've seen numerous deuces with flatheads, but I've only seen a handful of deuces with Caddies/Olds in them.

19. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Though I still say go with a flathead, I for the life of me Can not understand why it seems everyone looks down on small block chevys.....They are probably the most reliable motor out there, they came out in 1955, they perform very well, and lots of speed equipment for them.

33sporttruck likes this.
  20. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

SBC's are great engines...I love them,and have raced them forever.....people are just looking for something different.....I kind of feel the same about a flathead....yes they are period.....and everywhere...dont do much for me as far as wow factor......but thats me.

And reliability is in the builder......Ive seen many screwed up sbc's from people who should never touch one.

Tony

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

IIRC, there were three choices, flatty, Cad or Olds. I didnt see SBC, Y-block or desoto on that list. If it were mine, and its not, Caddy or Olds. I'd be leaning towards the Olds. Better aftermarket parts availability, like heathen said. Even a mild olds will run away and hide from the flatty. Theres a reason why flattys disappeared in the late fifties, guys were actually building HOT rods at that time.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  22. hallrods

hallrods

Nail head or a hemi

23. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Y BLock with two tea pot four barrels (factory T-Bird set up, bad ass). Those damn things (y blocks) can be pushed to 700 horse. They look pretty as well. Or, if you think about it, post 56, you could run a 57-8 283 or 327.

I know how bad the SBC takes a hit on this site. But the fact is, they were a damn hot engine when they were introduced. I am not talkng the 265 with no oil filter; but you could scronge around and find some wicked stuff.

How about an original Hilborn Mech Fuel Injection/Vette setup? No clone 70s SBC bullshit - the real deal. Fact is, that stuff is as rare as all the other blocks mentioned on this post, however.

24. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yeah, that confused me, too. It's sort of like, "What do you want for supper, steak or fish?" "Uhhh......I'll have chicken!".

25. teddyp

teddyp

caddy please not another flathead that,s been done to death!

26. thunderplex

thunderplex

x2,

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

28. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Thats my vote also.

29. Kustom Dick

Kustom Dick